WHAT IS THE BEST SOUNDING HIGH POWER 2 CHANNEL AMP FOR THE K-HORN??

KHORNLOVER

I have been using my Yamaha CX-800U/MX 800 PRE AMP/AMP COMBO for 25 years to power my K-Horns. I do have a "trained ear" so to speak, as I am a musician and sound Tech. The Yamaha still sounds clean, punchy and fairly warm..BUT..I am well aware that there are many BETTER options for my K-Horns. WITHOUT totally breaking the bank..Any suggestions?? I need the high power for "headroom" so the bass and Kick drum will kick my Butt while remaining distortion free. BTW: I WOULD LOVE A TUBE AMP!

Thank you for your opinions[Y]

STOCK..Never noticed a drop in sound quality

It happens so gradually, you'll never notice it. Pop some new parts in there and prepare to be amazed.

Very true. Some new 2013 parts (caps for starters) could actually let your speakers sound better than they did when they were new.

And that's a great feeling.

Also, if you like how your Khorns sound with Yamaha power, but would like something more modern with possibly more detailed sound, along with quite a bit more power, look into the Yamaha MX-D1 amp. It's not a tube amp, but the Class D amps, and this one in particular, are said to have a "tubey" sound.

MX-D1???

I see you like this ampBig Smile

I bought a new one in 2007, and was very impressed with the sound. A year later, another forum member offered me a used one, since he was going to all-tube electronics. I didn't think I needed it, but then I spotted a pair of K510/K-69 tweeters and realized I'd just need to find a Dx38 at a good price to put together a JubScala "kit". JubScalas work best and are easiest to set up with a pair of matching power amps. That way, you don't have any gain matching or tone matching issues.

I went for it, and I'll tell you, the only way for me to beat an MX-D1 for great sound is to set up a pair of MX-D1s to bi-amp a pair of JubScalas. Before I got it all set up, I connected the second MX-D1 to the Heresy II surround speakers, and you couldn't miss the improvement in the sound, over what it had been when they were driven by the AVR. Sometimes I toy with the idea of getting a couple more of these amps, so every speaker in the system would be driven by one, but it seems pretty extravagant to use that quality of amplification for surround duties.

I feel extravagant and decadent enough for having La Scalas (with CT125 tweeters and Sonicaps) as Left and Right Surround, but I'm becoming adjusted to it. [Y][:D][Y]

I suspect that if you're pleased with the sound you're getting now, you'd be even more pleased with one of these amps.

I have been using my Yamaha CX-800U/MX 800 PRE AMP/AMP COMBO for 25 years to power my K-Horns. I do have a "trained ear" so to speak, as I am a musician and sound Tech. The Yamaha still sounds clean, punchy and fairly warm..BUT..I am well aware that there are many BETTER options for my K-Horns. WITHOUT totally breaking the bank..Any suggestions?? I need the high power for "headroom" so the bass and Kick drum will kick my Butt while remaining distortion free. BTW: I WOULD LOVE A TUBE AMP!

Thank you for your opinionsYes

A Consonance Opera is a good choice.

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/opera_m100plus.htm

Good power and the Khorns sound fantastic. As it happens, I have one sitting here - possibly available.

Pat = decadent Yes

So Mr. Non-Decadent, you still have those cute MC-30's DeWick worked over that you brought to Hope? They sure made Me-Loves (Crites upgraded that weekend) K-Horns sound sweet, hard to forget how sweet I Robot vinyl that I got from Gary sounded in that thrown together system we had in the farmhouse[;)]

Pat = decadent Yes

So Mr. Non-Decadent, you still have those cute MC-30's DeWick worked over that you brought to Hope? They sure made Me-Loves (Crites upgraded that weekend) K-Horns sound sweet, hard to forget how sweet I Robot vinyl that I got from Gary sounded in that thrown together system we had in the farmhouseWink

You may be thinking of someone else. I'm the guy on Vancouver Island with the all-SS electronics and no Khorns, just Belles, La Scalas, La Scala IIs and Heresy IIs and a III.

Heh... Hate to admit it but, he was referring to me. I sold the MC-30's a while back, part of the funds for the Jubes. Part of me wishes I'd kept all the tube amps so I could try them bi-amping. Another part of me enjoys the simplicity of turning my Kludge PA amps on.