Speaker grills on, speaker grills off

Boxx

I can remember taking an undergraduate "audio" class many years ago where the prof. was firm in his belief that any obstruction that was placed in front of a speaker has a negative effect on the sound reproduced. Obstructions included furniture (we all know this), lamps, grill covers, etc....

I know that this is compensated for today, but I also remember that he stated that in order to achieve the lowest accurate bass sound reproduction required that you have, at a minimum 40 feet of distance, between your speaker and any object that might interfere with the bass sound waves.

I'm certain that what I've stated is debatable, however here is my question:

How many of you remove the grills (if possible) from your speakers when you have a serious listening session. If so what is your reasoning for doing this?

I know some that keep the grills off all the time.

I do remove my grills whenever I can....

How many of you remove the grills (if possible) from your speakers when you have a serious listening session.

Full blown special effects for action movies, grills off. Most music listening, grills on. BD concerts, grills off.

If so what is your reasoning for doing this?

Cool agressive look to go with a cool agressive action movie.

Maybe placebo effect of better sound.

Bill

I don't like seeing my speakers when watching movies or listening to music so I keep the grills on, plus I EQ'd with Audyssey and want to keep everything the same.

EDIT:

I would have thought they voiced the speaker in the chamber as you'd buy them, grills on. I don't know that, just would have presumed. I've always left them on (Khorns, EV's)

I think I saw that in a post from someone from Klipsch in here as well.

Grills off always.....[H]......I guess because the way it looks, I don't know anymore......It's just the way I 've always done it........If the grills stay on when I'm listening it feels like i'm missing something going on underneath. ..............It's kind of like watching a magician perform a trick with a handkerchief over his hands.......I wanna see under there................Or a girl in a skirt....Ya'know what I mean....[Y]

post-49138-13819859461462_thumb.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Theater room grills off, mainly becuase everyone that comes over always has the same "holy $*]%" response when seeing (12) 10s and (4) 12s in the front row. This room isnt used daily so it stays relatively clean. The rest of the house is grills on to keep some of the dust under control

The JubScalas don't have any grilles, but the speakers I used before (bass reflex floorstanders with two 10" woofers and two dome tweeters) did sound noticeably clearer with the grilles removed. When I put the grilles back on, it literally was like putting a veil over the music, even if it was a thin one. They're in the bedroom now, so I leave the grilles on to protect the speakers, plus I save my critical listening for when I'm listening to the main system.

The effect is most noticeable when covering tweeters, much less with woofers. I did experiment a bit when I first got the La Scalas, and a single layer of stretchy grille cloth changed the sound of the tweeters enough that I quickly removed it. It was thin enough that you could sort of see through it, but it still muffled the sound coming out of the tweeters.

• 11 months later...

I am a minimalist... 2 channel setup with my tv... In my small apartment it's honestly all I need.
I'm all for the grill-off. I do get concerned about dust and longevity so if I know I'm gonna be gone for a few days or whatever I'll throw the grill back on. I just figured if I listen to them every day, the vibration keeps the dust off. I could be way off on this but why else would they make the RB-35 so beautiful inside if they didn't want us to see it?!

Plus they advertise the reference series on their website with no grill...

All in all I'm happy, grill on or off. I just think it looks sexy off. And when you've got guests over, they all comment with grill-off. No one really cares with grill-on. But they are also the ones who don't appreciate a good set of speakers ;)

Thanks for reading!

Edited by AccessDenied

Every speaker I've ever owned, I've always preferred the look of the grill off. Therefore they are off most of the time. Only time I put the grills on is if I'm bored, and then a couple minutes later I take them off.

I like to look my speakers in the eye when they talk to me, I'm just being courteous.