Speaker grills on, speaker grills off

Boxx

• 2 weeks later...

I can remember taking an undergraduate "audio" class many years ago where the prof. was firm in his belief that any obstruction that was placed in front of a speaker has a negative effect on the sound reproduced. Obstructions included furniture (we all know this), lamps, grill covers, etc....

I know that this is compensated for today, but I also remember that he stated that in order to achieve the lowest accurate bass sound reproduction required that you have, at a minimum 40 feet of distance, between your speaker and any object that might interfere with the bass sound waves.

I'm certain that what I've stated is debatable, however here is my question:

How many of you remove the grills (if possible) from your speakers when you have a serious listening session. If so what is your reasoning for doing this?

I know some that keep the grills off all the time.

I do remove my grills whenever I can....

Mine never did have grills, just a grate over the woofer.

post-58829-0-90960000-1409051473_thumb.j

• 6 years later...

On my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 after hours of listening I have come to the conclusion that there is an ever so slight difference when the grilles are off. Highs are barely clearer but enough to notice. Grilles come off when listening and back on when my brother's 14y/o friends come over just so I can have peace of mind that they won't be messed with. On a different note, highly recommend the Promedia 2.1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fido said:

I think my speakers look awesome with the cane grills on and sound pretty much the same to me grills on or off so mine are on always

the picture is not very clear ,  looks like a type of lambswool  from this end -

42 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

the picture is not very clear ,  looks like a type of lambswool  from this end -

They are not lambs wool —— They are cane and you can clearly see thru them and see Dave,s lmahl tweeters —- they look and sound great for 35 yo forte 1s I still have the original grills in perfect condition. They were my late fathers so they hold special meaning to me as we bought them together.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fido said:

They were my late fathers so they hold special meaning

Fantastic    I purchased  cane grilles for the H1 40+ years  ago   , but , so far ,  I only used the regular black Duracrest  -

It depends on the speaker.  Some are ugly without grilles and some have ugly grilles.  My cornwalls are kind of in the middle.  I'm not really happy with the grilles but they look unfinished without them.  A bit of a lose/lose.  I'm trying to like the grilles but I'm also considering alternatives.  Maybe remove grilles and put a metal mesh grille over the woofers, or try to build or buy new grilles, maybe with the old style black cloth.