Crossover help

ryandevans79

Hey all, i have a question about my setup. My current setup:

Harman Kardon AVR 2700

Klipsch Quintet III's in a 7.1 w/ 10" klipsch sub

I've just ordered the RC 52-II center speaker, so my question is until i can purchase the RF 52-II's to replace my fronts, what should I set my crossover's to, I know the quintet's don't/won't pair well with the new center but until I buy new fronts. I believe the quintet's are set as 120hz, and I've read the RC 52-II should be set at 80hz, will that be ok in the time being or what should I set them to?

Thanks in advance!!

Ryan

what he said ^ most center channels work very comfortably at 80 hz. Of the many klipsch centers i have owned, i believe all of them have been set to 80 with the exception of my RC-7 which i have set to 65hz. The RC-7 has an extension down to 45 hz but i tried that and the voices got too raspy and harsh sounding.

• Moderators

Did I miss something? Why would he set tiny speakers to 120hz? Why not 80hz and let the 10" sub handle the lower frequencies? I know people with RF-7's that don't have them crossed over at 120hz. Just curious on the logic of that advice.

Did I miss something? Why would he set tiny speakers to 120hz? Why not 80hz and let the 10" sub handle the lower frequencies? I know people with RF-7's that don't have them crossed over at 120hz. Just curious on the logic of that advice.

The Quintets won't go down to 80 Hz I'd imagine.

what he said ^ most center channels work very comfortably at 80 hz. Of the many klipsch centers i have owned, i believe all of them have been set to 80 with the exception of my RC-7 which i have set to 65hz. The RC-7 has an extension down to 45 hz but i tried that and the voices got too raspy and harsh sounding.

I know that most say that no matter how big your speakers are they should be crossed. I've crossed my set up at 80 and 100 and didn't like sound at all.

presently only my SRS speakers crossed at 80. my fronts and center are not crossed and sub set as Sub+. it sounds absolutely realistic and natural to me, I feel more mid bass and dialogue is also cleaner more realistic.

presently only my SRS speakers crossed at 80. my fronts and center are not crossed and sub set as Sub+. it sounds absolutely realistic and natural to me.

Ultimately that's all that matters. 80 Hz is recomended by THX and is the standard starting point. Everyone's rooms/ears/speakers/gear is different. Experiment (it's free!) and see what you like best.

• Moderators

Good point. LOL

I'm not one of the guys that says you should always set a xover point. There have been times that I have preferred setting my RF-83's to Full Range but they can handle it.

Sorry.....I just realized I was thinking backwards. 120Hz is high for a subwoofer (excluding LFE frequencies) but I can see where you would want to xover the mains at 120hz if they are small.

Good point. LOL

I'm not one of the guys that says you should always set a xover point. There have been times that I have preferred setting my RF-83's to Full Range but they can handle it.

same here.

of course my F-3 no match for RF-83 and can go down only to 35Hz, but at the volume I'm using them at they do better when set to "full range".

recently I've seen a pair of cherry !!! RF-83 for $1100 (local CL) and was drooling all over the add for two weeks, but $1100 more than I got hidden from my better half...

:)

• Moderators

but $1100 more than I got hidden from my better half...

That's hillarious. [:P]

Never hurts to make an offer. Do you have anything you can offer to trade, or even barter some services for? I've been blessed to work out several barter deals for gear. Win/Win for both parties.

Good point. LOL

Sorry.....I just realized I was thinking backwards. 120Hz is high for a subwoofer (excluding LFE frequencies) but I can see where you would want to xover the mains at 120hz if they are small.

i run my rf-7's and rs-7's full range plus subwoofer crossed at 60hz but to me, this is what sounds good.