BUILD THREAD: 4 Stereo Integrity 18's

Scrappydue

OK, lets try and get this started. Well i have been to a lot of G2G with avs guys since i have been back in MO. All of which are huge bass heads. It is just as bad if not worse than being a member of this forum lol.

well of course many of the guys owning dual pb-13 ultras before told me i had great subs but there was better out there! and i think to my self, "of course there is, GREAT". well after much research at night in bed irritating the wife with the glow of my iPad, i decided to give the DIY a go.

well you can officially put me in that group of guys that will always recommend diy first now.

it is addicting, it was a blast, and it by far us the very most bang for your buck! all worth it in the end though.

so i settled on building 4 4cu ft sealed enclosures for 18" Stereo Integrity drivers. all powered by an inuke 6000 dsp. let the pics begin.

So start this off this was not 100% DIY as i did not cut the wood myself. but i still consider it a great project as i do not have the woodworking skills, nor the tools to do this kind of stuff...YET

So i ordered 4 cubic foot flat packs from DIYsoundgroup.com. this is a great company to wkr with and from what i understand erich does it in his spare time and makes no profit from it. either way ordering was a breeze with paypal, erich shipped asap. packages showed up quickly and well packed.

First thing i did was compare an 18" woofer to a 13" woofer for fun and to bring a little more excitement to the table for myself.

post-54961-1381985964221_thumb.jpg

the next thing i did was pull all the pieces out of one box to mock one up and see what i would be building. no instructions or anything, the panels were very easy to figure out how they went together. heres what it looked like. sorry for sideways pics. this forum does not like mac computers.

post-54961-1381985964547_thumb.jpg

I put all panels together with gorilla wood glue and then a few brad nails since i do not own any clamps.

Started with what would be the back of the box that is cnc'ed for the cross braces. they only go in one way.short two first, then the long one. after i glued and nailed them i decided to learn from friends mistakes and seal as i went instead of having my head in getting high on fumes trying to do it all after lol.

post-54961-13819859651714_thumb.jpg

First box took me about three hours to build by myself. But i wanted to take my time and make sure everything was going together smooth. Last box took me about 40 minutes lol. i am a fast learner, and really can get going once i get a pattern down.

here is a terrible picture of how much space two would take up on each side of the screen. i was excited this night

post-54961-13819859664508_thumb.jpg

after subs were wired, i sat up all four boxes in a kind of assembly line to get sides painted quickly. I used Duratex which is extremely nice but expensive. i bought their rollers as i could not find anything, anywhere that looked similar. finish came out great!

post-54961-13819859680696_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scrappydue

My new painting line. the old way was starting to drive me crazy with 8 minutes of painting then waiting an hour to dry!!! lol

this way i could do four sides at once and by the time i got done with the last one i could go straight to second coat on the first one again. this sped things up considerably .

post-54961-13819859686946_thumb.jpg

after i was done painting it was time to mark and drill for the binding posts. i just measured from the top on each side and then taped across for a perfect even line then spit the distance in half and give each side an extra inch. so two inches in between posts.

post-54961-13819859689936_thumb.jpg