BUILD THREAD: 4 Stereo Integrity 18's

Scrappydue

MINI REVIEW: well to keep it short since i have to get to a BBQ, these babies are sweet. deeper than than the svs which is almost hard to believe. Tons of headroom!

Did the svs sound bad? aboslutely not, they are as good as it gets sound quality wise and they have tons of output. plenty for my normal listening levels. BUT, what i fell in love with while hanging with the AVS bassheads was the effortless reference + levels that their subs were capable of. So, now i can demo any movie with my subs 10 db hot and not have to worry about any bad things happening to the drivers. i just got worried with how much the svs drivers moved. these 18's move a ton of air and barely move doing it. there REALLY is no replacement for displacement. Soon i will have a more in depth review as i get then even more dialed in and listen to alot more, but i need to spend time with the wife for a bit, and then can take my time really nit picking them for what they do better or worse from what i have owned in the past.

Hope you guys enjoy! feel free to ask any questions! have a good one!!

Things there are no pictures of :

the soldering of the internal wires to the terminals.

the installation of the drivers. they are just screwed in with drywall screws. tried some fancier spax screws but didnt have luck with them.

installation of 4 lbs of polyfill in each box.

think that about covers it. if you have ANY questions feel free to ask while this build is fresh on my mind. I am gonna make some youtube videos of my systems soon. stay tuned

Scrappydue all I can say is Great JOB!!!. They look awesome and powerful. I think you said some key points, like running the subs 10 db hot and not worrying about blowing the amp or driver, and displacement of air per dollar spent which is relavent. Also, compared to the SVS these larger subs are lighter, lol. Set a 5-6 db bass boot at 20 Hz with a little wide Q and set the limiters in the DSP. You can or cannot set a XO. It will be interest to see how Auddysee works with the DSP. IMAX is in the house!

Derrick I only have 1.5 db boost at twenty to get me flat down to 10hz. And no need for limiters. Perfect amount of power. 3000 rms split 4 ways is 750 each. That's right in the money zone for these woofers. IMAX is right! If I move into a house with any bigger if a room I'm going to move from the thx line to the cinema gear.

Sounds great, I found there is not much to do with the DSP other than a bass boost or to cut a peak. The modular design of the subs is very versitle for multiple configurations which is a nice option. I set limiters on mine since Craigsub suggested but, It may have something to do with the setting of bridge mono mode. I don't notice the fan noise when watching TV and listening to music at normal volume. For now, I am not considering a fan mod that would void the warranty.

4 18 Dual 4 OHM subs 922.62 from stereo integrity

4 4.0 Cubic Foot Flat Packs 581.72 from diy sound group

Behringer iNuke 6000DSP 509 from amazon

Speaker Wire 42.11 from parts express

speakon connectors 18.80 from amazon

XLR to RCA adapter 8.98 from amazon

Duratex 83.69 from acry tech

Feet 14.08 from parts express

Terminals 33.92 from parts express

Wood Glue 4 from wal mart

Spackle 3 from wal mart

Polyfill 40 from wal mart

misc. 15 from all over

TOTAL for build: 2276.92

not part of the build but needed for tuning:

Repeater USB cable 9.98 from parts express

Dayton Omnimic V2 299.00 from parts express

GRAND TOTAL: 2585.90

i wasn't aware epik was still up and running. i thought that was done after their big sale forever ago. as far as tuba or danley, i cannot comment as i have never heard either of those. i would guess they would be much easier to integrate than a horn loaded sub as well as have much smoother rolloff below the tune of the horn. 4 subs for 2200 that easily trumped my 4,000$ dual svs setup in spl is a no brainer to me now. soon i am going to try a smaller build and take a shot at veneer work. if i can succeed i will always recommend diy for any situation. as of now i say if it has to go in a living room and your wife likes pretty things then my subs would not be for you. but if i can successfully veneer my first time i don't see why your average joe couldn't as well

I keep my two SS 18.1's in the family room. They have a similar finish to your subs. With the driver facing the wall, they just look like big black coffee tables or boxes in the corner with things setting on them. We had family in from out of town and no one even noticed it was a speaker,lol. I think your performance will be excellent so, no need to worry about other subs.[;)]