BUILD THREAD: 4 Stereo Integrity 18's

Scrappydue

Just a quick FYI, I spoke to Craig at Chase today and he was telling the use of the limiter is make sure the output to the subs is clean and no clipping. This will result in the lowest distortionn of the system. He feels that is taking advantage of the feature in the Behringer.

Not quite sure how I missed this thread as subs and DIY are two of my favorite things to play with.

Great job!!!

Sealed subs behave similar to an IB so the sound should be really clean. If you ever have the opportunity to play with placement, try one sitting on the floor in the center of each wall. There's a Harman white paper that says that 4 subs in that configuration is ideal for taming room nodes and provides the most even coverage. The second most ideal positioning would be one in each corner. I've always wanted to try that and if I ever move from my current house (with the IB) that's exactly what I'm going to do.

I'm excited for you

Carl

i had originally planned on buying two amps so i could have more placement flexibility with dual dsp's but ended up trying to save a few bucks and got a single amp. so the way they are right now makes for a pretty good response and insane amount of output. when i move if my room is any bigger at all i will be building a couple more to try out some subs in the back of the room as well. will but a inuke 3000 dsp for that pair so i can adjust the delay accordingly

Scrappy, i am jealous. Now, actually seeing the size of those, my fiance would have killed me. Yep, somewhere on this forum, one post would have been my last. My first and only question is this: Did the 4 of them blow the poop out of you?

lol I thought my wife would hate them but didn't care since they are behind curtains. But she says they look good. Better than she thought I could make them look. So I guess I could build a couple more for the upstairs living room lol

This thread is useless without a frequency response plot!! Wink

i got a friend that is supposed to be here tonight to help me fine tune a bit more. He knows how to save the graphs and what not. I just haven't had much time downstairs to play with the inuke and omnimic software yet. I'll post something soon.

• 2 months later...

Before when I got the Svs subs, I thought I had the best. Once I moved home and heard some diy stuff as well as some JTR offerings, I knew that I could have better for less money than the 4 grand I dropped on the Svs. I can tell you I have had these subs for a few months now and I haven't spent one second looking for any more than what I have. They are so clean, so deep, and do it with such little effort. Like I have said before I the Svs is a top notch sub but at reference in my room the cone was moving so much it made me worry that I was gonna break something. The 4 18's move so little I have played lots of stuff at reference with the subs 6-10db hot and they still just truck right along. It basically was an upgrade to put my mind at ease.

Scrappy -

Been away from the forum for a while...I see you've been pretty busy! Subs look great, I gotta get down there sometime to have a listen. How do you like the overall system now with the THX and 18s? Anything you'd do differently were you to do it again?

Scrappy -

Been away from the forum for a while...I see you've been pretty busy! Subs look great, I gotta get down there sometime to have a listen. How do you like the overall system now with the THX and 18s? Anything you'd do differently were you to do it again?

Brian, I been great brother. I would love to have you over. Didn't you say you had some friends down around here somewhere? I love the thx stuff for movies but they fall really short for music. Kinda missed the rf-63's so they will be coming back Wednesday. So I will have both sets lol. Gonna hang on to the thx stuff at least until we move I think. If I go in a bigger room I will be building my own speakers. Diy is where it's at for sure. I enjoyed it very much. I wanna learn to veneer and also wanna try and break down the crossovers so I can learn what does what on them as well. Wouldn't have done anything different. I'm happy where I'm at in my current room. Excited to move and own the room though so I can start with the actual theater build aspect of it.

I do have a buddy that lives down in KC, but just didn't get down there this past year. Hopefully will do so sometime in 2014 though and will definitely see if it works out to have a listening session. Looking forward to hearing the 4 subs that you built along with your projector and everything else.

DIY is definitely fun...really enjoyed my smaller CF3 projects as I did them. Nice to put in the work and then hear a noticeable difference. I can imagine that the sub project was even more fun than that though since you were starting from scratch. It's also a huge bang for the buck...what you have invested is impossible to beat buying retail. Plus the build quality is always going to be better DIY since you will always care more than the guy at the factory would.