BUILD THREAD: 4 Stereo Integrity 18's

Scrappydue

But, everyone has their priority and most don't wanna build subs. I owned two Svs and once I moved them into my basement they lost just about all magic appeal to me. They just did nothin for me anymore. I knew I needed big woofers to move big air. And now i have it.

How about big woofers in a big horn to REALLY move big air. (an 18 is the same Sd as tow 12's)

Very simple math 3.14 X Radius Squared.......

Radius of 12 inches is 6 inches. 6 inches squared is 36.... times that by two is 72.

Radius of 18 inches is 9 inches. 9 inches squared is 81.

72 is NOT as big as 81, therefore two twelves have LESS displacement than a single 18.

It takes two 12s and a 6inch driver to get the same surface area of an 18.

RogER

Thanks for the High School geometry lesson, but you are forgetting to subtract the edge surround, which is quite a bit of the usable area. If you go by the typical/average Sd specification of 12" SUB woofers, they are almost always half of an 18" one within about 5%. It can vary a bit more than that and is very much manufacturer and Xmax dependent.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

I'm pretty

But, everyone has their priority and most don't wanna build subs. I owned two Svs and once I moved them into my basement they lost just about all magic appeal to me. They just did nothin for me anymore. I knew I needed big woofers to move big air. And now i have it.

How about big woofers in a big horn to REALLY move big air. (an 18 is the same Sd as tow 12's)

How about this? 2' driver.

http://stereointegrity.com/index.php?id=61

I'm pretty sure that if I have disposable income, I'm going to buy two of them *******, just because.

the fiance would destroy me. She would cut me down with her laser beam eyes. My SVS subs provide more than enough boom. The walls shake and so do my teeth, half the time i have to turn them down a bit. I can honestly say, I am extremely content with them. I dont have carpet and the subfloor is a concrete slab. only thing to absorb waves is the couch. It would just be a fun project. I love building stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

The SI subwoofers are 4 ohm speakers. Wire them in series and run the amp in bridge mode to the A channel. The two subs would then present an 8 ohm load. I have 8 ohm subs and connected them in parallel to have a 4 ohm load and connect them in bridge mode. Any of the other modes will not delivery enough power.

Very simple math 3.14 X Radius Squared.......

Radius of 12 inches is 6 inches. 6 inches squared is 36.... times that by two is 72.

Radius of 18 inches is 9 inches. 9 inches squared is 81.

72 is NOT as big as 81, therefore two twelves have LESS displacement than a single 18.

It takes two 12s and a 6inch driver to get the same surface area of an 18.

RogER

Thanks for the High School geometry lesson, but you are forgetting to subtract the edge surround, which is quite a bit of the usable area. If you go by the typical/average Sd specification of 12" SUB woofers, they are almost always half of an 18" one within about 5%. It can vary a bit more than that and is very much manufacturer and Xmax dependent.

No it's not.... Lets play the shell game and if I compare this brand 12 to that brand 18, I can almost infer I was correct, is that what you are saying cause it sure sounds like it to me. two twelves' DO NOT EQUAL AN Eighteen! Let us compare apples to apples. If we compare a for instance Velodyne HGS-12 to a Velodyne HGS-18, they have the same width surround and the same x-max.... You are correct in your statement that a 12 is not a twelve or an 18 is not an 18 because the manufacturers count the surround as part of the diameter, but your logic is flawed again, because if both speakers of the same family use the same surround, that surround ads up to a bigger percentage of the 12s surface area than the 18, not a bigger area, but a bigger percentage. remedial math seems in order here.

Roger

The SI subwoofers are 4 ohm speakers. Wire them in series and run the amp in bridge mode to the A channel. The two subs would then present an 8 ohm load. I have 8 ohm subs and connected them in parallel to have a 4 ohm load and connect them in bridge mode. Any of the other modes will not delivery enough power.

are you a responding to my amp question?

wrong. They are dual 4 ohm or dual 2 ohm. He would want the dual 4 ohm ones. Wire each In parallel for a 2 ohm load per side. Run it in stereo for the most power. The 3000 dsp will not provide much power at an 8 ohm bridged load.

so...if i'm only building two of these, will this amp work instead of the bigger one?

Behringer NU3000DSP iNuke Ultra-Lightweight, High-Density 3000-Watt Power Amplifier with DSP Control and USB Interface

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EHINAS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1THPEY0T0GK11&coliid=I2S5YRCXZ9NFBS

yes that amp will be fine. Make sure you have the dual 4 ohms subs or this amp will not work for two. Although I'd make sure that seller is authorized. I just bought the same amp off of eBay for 239. Think the seller was unique squared.
  • Like 1

so...if i'm only building two of these, will this amp work instead of the bigger one?

Behringer NU3000DSP iNuke Ultra-Lightweight, High-Density 3000-Watt Power Amplifier with DSP Control and USB Interface

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EHINAS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1THPEY0T0GK11&coliid=I2S5YRCXZ9NFBS

yes that amp will be fine. Make sure you have the dual 4 ohms subs or this amp will not work for two. Although I'd make sure that seller is authorized. I just bought the same amp off of eBay for 239. Think the seller was unique squared.

Thanks!

Edited by dewthedru

The stereo integrity are dual voice coil subs. So you have to be careful which you choose for the inukes. And the inukes are also extremely inflated specs Derrick. The 3000 is really only 1500 watt amp. And that would only be at either two ohm stereo or 4 ohm bridged power. So each driver is gettin 750 in your setup.

when i was contemplating the DIY route i had settled on the QSC RMX series of amps as they are non-mobile designed versions and have heavier weight and truer specs. I looked at the inukes and crown amps and none of them overly shouted to me "quality" like what i was looking for. I had read reviews and the inukes got really mixed reviews and really turned me off. Scrappy can vouch for how good his Inuke is but i cant since i have never owned it and i am just soliciting an opinion.