BUILD THREAD: 4 Stereo Integrity 18's

Scrappydue

The Dayton ho is very similar just requires a bit more amp as they are single voice coil. I may be doing one of them soon. They do look better IMO. You can look on data-bass.com to compare specs. And when you order from parts express with a box as a combo the box is half price which saves quite a bit of money.

Scrappy,

The boombox referred to above has been transformed and completed. The full story is at: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/144722-bluetooth-ipod-dock-on-steroids/page-2

The Duratex went on easily and looks great. Now I'll use it to finish the 25 Hz tapped horn subs I built at Carl's suggestion.

post-6832-0-41380000-1395145238_thumb.jp

Scrappy,

The boombox referred to above has been transformed and completed. The full story is at: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/144722-bluetooth-ipod-dock-on-steroids/page-2

The Duratex went on easily and loos great. Now I'll use it to finish the 25 Hz tapped horn subs I built at Carl's suggestion.

i finished mine forever ago but just painted them last week. Don't know why I waited so long. They look 1000 times better in my living room. I'll have to do a couple pics.

I see that Parts Express has the 4-ohm Dayton 18" HO, but for just a little more they also have the 2-ohm Dayton UM18-22. Anybody know if that would be a better choice?

i have read issues with the 15 ultra so not sure about the 18. If let that one go for a while. Let other test drive the hell out of it first.

I see that Parts Express has the 4-ohm Dayton 18" HO, but for just a little more they also have the 2-ohm Dayton UM18-22. Anybody know if that would be a better choice?

i have read issues with the 15 ultra so not sure about the 18. If let that one go for a while. Let other test drive the hell out of it first.

+1. I know Dayton has pushed back the release date for the UM18 at least once, but maybe twice due to structural issues of some sort with the UM18. I picked up another Dayton HO and am gonna wait to see how the UM gets tested by others before I go with that or a couple more HOs to round out my foursome.

• 3 weeks later...

I had pretty much decided to build a couple of these sealed 18" subs sometime this spring when I have some extra time, but I recently stumbled across the MartySub, which is a similar build, but in a larger, ported enclosure. Given that my room is so large (see post #83 above), would I be better served by the ported sub?

Here are a couple threads about the MartySub. (I would probably go with the slightly smaller MartyCube):

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1489541/large-ported-dayton-ho18s

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1516724/martysub-flatpacks

The second thread has a graph comparing the output of the MartySubs with a sealed 4.0 cubic foot 18" sub.

Edited by Edgar_in_Indy

I would say two of those would have the same

Output as mine from 20hz up with only two vs my 4. But to me these sealed 18's are top notch on how tight they are. They are so articulate I have never heard a ported sub that sounded quite as clean as they do. But who knows maybe one of these could be a fun project for my living room. I've heard of them only over the last week or so

I think the only difference is the Marty has the sealed design beat below 20hz in SPL.

I actually am contemplating building a Marty box and swapping one of my HO sealed daytons into it just for fun down the road. I am very, very impressed with my 4 sealed HO Daytons and don't really know what I would do with more bass at this point, I am certainly not itching to do anything for quite a while in the bass department.

My system was already good and loud with just one JL f113, 4 sealed daytons has taken it to a whole new level of insanity. These things are ear splitting loud. They rattle my brains in the listening position. And, as Scrappy points out, they seem to be extremely musical and tight.

If I want more SPL, I think I would be better served getting a little civic hatchback and piling in a massive ported box, along with ear plugs and a set of muffs for good measure.

I just finished building a full sized Marty. My room is 12X30 and it definitely helped give more bass. The punch is there. Mine is good to about 15ish Hz.

As someone who has had the opportunity to listen to a MartySub and a 4.0 cu. ft. 18" sealed sub, can you provide a more detailed subjective comparison? I can see from the graphs that the MartySub is louder, but beyond that, does one sub sound different and/or better than the other?

The sealed sub has the advantage of being a simpler build, and it's smaller/lighter, but beyond those two obvious advantages, do you see any other factors in the sealed sub's favor?

Considering the sealed sub, the graph had no EQ applied. Also, it the room is around 20 ft or less, the room gain for a sealed sub is pretty good. The good thing with the sealed SI, or Dayton is the size is fairly easy to work with. At some point we reach the bass max for our systems and more will not make much of a difference.

It does fall off faster, but tuned at 17hz, it is still has more SPL vs sealed.

Here is the chart of marty sub vs sealed. Dayton 18" HO driver. Green is marty.

Is that a winisd graph? Normally there's an upward spike in output right around the tuning frequency and then a steeper drop off.