Rsw 15 Power ? Was I Lied to?

klipguy

I just checked the klipsch site and they justs changed the power handeling of there RSW SUBS , earlier when i bought my sub it was at 1000w continuous 2400w peak...

now they say :

AMPLIFIER POWER: FTC Rated Power: 650 watts continuous,

30-110Hz @ 1% THD maximum

Dynamic Power*: 2400 watts

did i get lied to for 350w ? or did they change the sub?

I have two RSW-15s. Hey Klipsch what's going on. Seriously, I think it's time to call my dealer if I can return them, it's not that I'm not happy with them, but just the thought that I've been lied to.Mad.gif

This message has been edited by peterm on 07-02-2002 at 09:38 AM

Take a pill, folks, until we hear the "official" line. I believe, and I could be mistaken as I often have been, that sub power ratings were not subject to any type of formal standard, which left it up to the manufacturers to pick one that they used.

The fact that it now says FTC power rating implies that Klipsch perhaps is now applying a different standard to their measurements, which causes the figures to shift. Probably no change in the hardware at all. I'd bet other sub manufacturers are going through the same thing (if it's mandatory) or worse, they may not (if it's voluntary!).

Kind like when the FDA forces relabeling of food. They are still the same great Twinkies you've always loved, but now the label just looks different.

Doug

------------------

My System

quote:

Originally posted by peterm:

I think it's time to call my dealer if I can return them, it's not that I'm not happy with them

then what the heck is the problem? Everyone knows power ratings are mostly bogus anyways... re-lax!

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

Guest JimG

Nothing has changed on the product except the way we rate the power. As stated in the power rating, we have changed all of our continuous power ratings to an FTC standard so that you can compare apples to apples, at least within our product line. Unfortunately, not everyone is rating their power in this manner so you as the consumer still have no way to really compare power ratings between manufacturers. Subwoofer power ratings are kind of like car audio in the fact that you can pretty much claim any power number you want to, whether it's realistic or not. My guess is that eventually the FTC will force manufacturers to rate their products in this standard manner, much like receiver manufacturers have to do now.

The RSW-15 amp is still a 1000 watt amp, but not when limited to 1% distortion. That's where the 650 watt number comes into play. You'll also notice that we've left the peak power rating so that you can see what the amp is really capable of putting out in real world operating conditions. Have no fear, the subs are still the same very capable beasts that they were before. I think the notes in the specs explain the ratings pretty well.

Jim

jim, amp/receiver makers now have FTC standards on power? that would be nice if all used them whatever they are. Smile.gif

i still see specs only for 2 channels driven (out of 5), @ 1khz (instead of 20-20khz), varying distorion limits, & measurements at different loads, such as technics infamous use of a 6ohm rating. Frown.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

well if its just a change in a diffrent standard how they measure WATTS as you say "FTC" i hope all other companys do the same or else klipsch will loose some costomers, i would not of paid the money i did for my RSW 15 for 650W when the VELODYNE HGS 15" was not far off,at 1250W and 3000W peak same as there 18" ....

RMS,MBO and PMPO

Come on the Velodyne HGS line uses 1250W amps that can reach peaks of 3KW.Remember the 1250 W rating is not RMS driven 24HRS as a true RMS should be.

Try to get 1250W RMS non stop for 24HRS under normal conditions and we'll see how long the amp will work.

I have the HGS18 and never push the sub to even 2KW peaks.

Sunfire says their amps in the Signature and Mark II(now Mark IV)are 2700W amps,not peaks here!!Well guess what during normal operation in the sub even during peaks these deliver around 270W!Yes

So if you kids have a sub only because of a amp power rating you miss the boat.

Look at the SVS subs,with "only" 500W x 2 from a inexpensive cheapie Samson amp these beat the HELL outt the competition in output(not to be challenged,I compared dozens upon dozendsof subs AT HOME).

Watts are not any guarantee of power,its all in the way the sub uses each watt and transforms it into air movement.

After reading your posts the ONLY sub worthy would be the Krell Master Reference Subwoofer.As this is the ONLY sub with a real power rating of 2600 WATTS RMS(yes real RMS),the amp section os this sub is many times larger then the largest recievers 7 channels of amplification!Well it does not come cheap

I the subs sound good to year ears why worry about the RMS figures?Its all in the sound,not wattage.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

quote:

Originally posted by klipguy:

well if its just a change in a diffrent standard how they measure WATTS as you say "FTC" I hope all other companys do the same or else klipsch will loose some costomers, i would not of paid the money i did for my RSW 15 for 650W when the VELODYNE HGS 15" was not far off,at 1250W and 3000W peak same as there 18" ....

Just because it has more watts doesnt mean that it will perform better. A SVS CS-ULTRA with only 500 watts could blow away either sub. I don't think klipsch would loose any customers because im sure most people that buy their subs know that there are a lot more important things than Watts. The RSW-15 sounds better (musically) than the Velodyne but im not sure about how they compare when it comes to SPL.

quote:

Originally posted by TheBeast:

Just because it has more watts doesnt mean that it will perform better. A SVS CS-ULTRA with only 500 watts could blow away either sub. I don't think klipsch would loose any customers because im sure most people that buy their subs know that there are a lot more important things than Watts. The RSW-15 sounds better (musically) than the Velodyne but im not sure about how they compare when it comes to SPL.

klipsch speakres (RF and heritage esspecially), case in point. 35 watts will just murder your ears, where as it may take 60 or more with another brand. There watts don't really matter, not the quantity but the quality.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Right on TE, or as BobG states apples to apples. The RSW15 is a sweet unit(I owned it).

If you want POWER the sunflower is probably best suited for your pickup truck or 4 door sedan for the boom boom effect(sarcastically) with 2 under the front seat(great on dvd, musically sucks). A subwoofer is rated on it's performance through highs and LOWWWSSSS, not just amperage. It has to have (throwwwwwwwwwwwwww).

I now own a Velodyne FSR-18 and sold my RSW-15, why, better sound, nothing to do with amps\watts...SOUND Smile.gif

As Justin states, I own the Heritage line, Khorns, La Scala's, Hersey II's, etc, when is Klipsch going to have a matching subwoofer and centre..... Smile.gif

my rsw-15 is doing a great job in my ht room-no complaints-wish list: sure,if it was a little louderLOW, that would be an improvement, but i am NOT dissapointed, as a matter of fact, it hits so hard, and goes plenty low, that it sometimes makes me feel sorry for the neighbors.avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

klipguy should go get one of those 1000 watt Koss mini systems... surely it would perform better than a measly RSW-15...

in today's audio world, watts are pretty damn close to meaningless. I'm still scratching my head trying to find out what trick Sony used to get their new DE-series receiver a 100W/channel(x7), 0.09%THD, from 20 to 20,000Hz power rating... starting to wonder wether they used PMPO as their standard!

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

This message has been edited by Seb on 07-05-2002 at 11:46 PM

Well Seb all non ES Sony recievers probably use MBO or even PMPO when they claim 100W per channel.Try this all channels driven and you'll see if Sony says the truth.

I am sure the SOny is not even a true blue 50W RMS full bandwith with all channels driven.The tiny heatsink would melt and the power supply belongs in a CD player.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

well what confuses me is that usually they state the power at 1KHz... not this time.

you must be right though, it has to be PMPO. never heard of the other one you mention, MBO... what does it stand for?

------------------

MBO stands for Maximum Burst Output,or someting like that.Anyway Klipsch uses this to rate their LoudMedias err ProMedia.

MBO is more realistic then PMPO,PMPO is a complete joke.As even lousy 1.5W RMS 10% THD amplified speakers carry 120W PMPO ratings!

This means my ATI,Celeste and Krell would be rated at One Gigawatt PMPO! LOL

TheEAR(s) Now theears