Need an honest opinion

botelerc

I currently have an 83/64 set up. My av reciever puts out 90 to 100 watts per channel. I mainly use it for HT. Do I really need an amp, if it's even possible, with my reciever, or will my current setup drive my speakers effectively? I have a sony str dh520, not sure it's possible to bridge 2 of the 7 channels either?

I currently have an 83/64 set up. My av reciever puts out 90 to 100 watts per channel. I mainly use it for HT. Do I really need an amp, if it's even possible, with my reciever, or will my current setup drive my speakers effectively? I have a sony str dh520

You said honest.[:|]

Yes you do. Even though your RF-83/64 setup are very efficient speakers, you still need to drive (6) 8 inch woofers and (4) 6.5 inch woofers cleanly and I really don't think your 16.8 pound Sony is up to the task. Add in some surrounds and the job gets tougher. I don't think your Sony was really designed to drive such a system to "reference" levels. The Sony's power supply just does not have the gusto to handle the demands that a complex action movie soundtrack will put on it. "Maybe" in a 10W x 12L x 8H room might do "okay" but much larger it will put a strain on your system.

Bill

• Moderators

Do you need an amp, no. Would you benefit from an amp, yes. Sony receivers have not been known for being powerful amps. Unfortunately your receiver does not have preouts for an amp so unless you upgrade your receiver, you will not be able to add an amp.

• Moderators

I had a Yamaha RX-V1800 with 130 watts /ch and it sounded fantastic driving my RF-83 in a 5.1 system. When I added 2 additional speakers to make it a 7.1, although it was "rated" at 130 x 7, it was underwhelming. 3rd party bench test proved that this $1200 when new receiver was 130 x 3, 100 x 5 and only 55 x 7. If that is with a $1200 receiver, I can only imagine the actual power output from your sony

the amp debate is Very polarizing to some people ,

here is my story & my take moving forward ,

after spending $2K+ on a flagship AVR when I added 7 channels to that expensive AVR ,the SQ suffered big time

when I added 9 channels it was un-listenable at all with my newly added channels my system sounded like a radio shack boom box

added 9 channels of Emo amps (UPA-7 & UPA-2 The older style 125 watts per channel minimum wattage out put ) things were Fantastic in the SQ

& then that $2K+ AVR failed on me

My amps let me move to a middle range AVR that had all the features of that $2K+ flagship AVR

also most all PRE/PRO processors are priced right up there with the flagship AVR's .

by moving to mid level AVR with full features & Pre-outs ,

I now can change up the processing much cheaper now when the new Codecs , HDMI specs, UltraHD, improved Audyssey,DTS,Dolby listening modes come down the pike

AND Oh Yes they are about to change again as they always do every 3 to 4 years .

now that I have the amps , as they will last for decades , all I have is fraction of replacement costs over a flagship AVR when I do adjust for the Newest Tech that hits the market .