Underwater Audio.......

oscarsear

Mebbe I'm just an old fuddy duddy......... but apparently these days it is absolutely necessary to be able to take your music with you whilst you swim. Underwater Audio, water proof Ipods and earbuds, tested to depths of 100 feet for you pearl divers. I guess if you were taking a 40 mile swim or something they'd be excellent company, a distraction from sea going predators, perchance? Get a snorkel and take a pair into the jacuzzi to unwind ALL the way.

Mebbe I'm just an old fuddy duddy......... but apparently these days it is absolutely necessary to be able to take your music with you whilst you swim. Underwater Audio, water proof Ipods and earbuds, tested to depths of 100 feet for you pearl divers. I guess if you were taking a 40 mile swim or something they'd be excellent company, a distraction from sea going predators, perchance? Get a snorkel and take a pair into the jacuzzi to unwind ALL the way.

I like to swim laps at the pool, and it does tend to get boring. I seriously looked into getting a waterproof rig so I can at least have some tunes while swimming. Thus, I don't find this any stranger than listening to an iPod while jogging, for example.

I have a waterproof case for my iphone, it works great for underwater pictures, but I have yet to get a set of waterproof earbuds. Would seem to distracting. I have a hard enough time listening to music while trail riding with the mountain bike.

In my youth I spent a lot of time enjoying the ocean and I did obtain my lifeguard credentials. Worked as a pool lifeguard in the military. For myself being in the water requires detailed attention to being in the water. I mean one wrong breath, one lung-full of H2O and you could be in some serious trouble really fast. Maybe I did not get good enough in the water to feel comfortable and confident enough to think I could consider it a safe venue for relaxing musical pleasure.

We've discussed this before on the forums. All of these small and portable digital devices seem to trivialize musical reproduction. It is more than quality of reproduction. It is that music is accessible pretty much 100% of the time. That seems to dilute its importance. It is too easy and too mundane to be worthy of celebrating. It has to 'wear out' faster when it is 'all of the time'. Just my $0.02.

In my youth I spent a lot of time enjoying the ocean and I did obtain my lifeguard credentials. Worked as a pool lifeguard in the military. For myself being in the water requires detailed attention to being in the water. I mean one wrong breath, one lung-full of H2O and you could be in some serious trouble really fast. Maybe I did not get good enough in the water to feel comfortable and confident enough to think I could consider it a safe venue for relaxing musical pleasure.

I've been through the water rescue/training and had lifeguard credentials myself. I agree to a certain point what you are saying. While out kayaking, I won't be listening to music, as I don't want the distraction. Same even just swimming at the river or in the ocean (the beach is only a couple hour's drive from here). However, when simply swimming laps back-n-forth at the pool here at the local Gold's Gym, which is maybe 5 feet deep at the deepest point, I have qualms of wanting to have some tunes on. In that enivornment, I do feel comfortable and confident enough that I could safely enjoy some tunes while exercising.

Along these same lines, I also don't wear/listen to music while skiing (eventhough I see plenty of people do now-a-days. Heck, you can even get helmets with earphones/speakers built in!) Same thing while trail-riding on my mountain bike. I like to be able to hear what is going on around me, such as somebody else coming up behind me, for example. Granted, the argument could be made while driving a car why I should have the radio on, but at least in a car, I have all the mirrors and everything that I can watch for surrounding traffic, plus, unlike in skiing or moutain biking, there are established rules and laws that everybody must follow, thus if car is behind me, I don't expect them to suddenly zoom past on a narrow trail or coming up on a cross-road, I would expect the car on the side to stop at the stop-sign, wheras there is nothing like that while skiing and biking. Yeah, there are certain etiquette rules, such as the "Skiier's Reponsibility Code", but seems more people than not either don't know it or if they do, they don't abide by it.

We've discussed this before on the forums. All of these small and portable digital devices seem to trivialize musical reproduction. It is more than quality of reproduction. It is that music is accessible pretty much 100% of the time. That seems to dilute its importance. It is too easy and too mundane to be worthy of celebrating. It has to 'wear out' faster when it is 'all of the time'. Just my $0.02.

Yeah, that horse has been pretty well beaten to death on here. I still find plenty of music that is brand-new and still has excellent reproduction and worthy of sitting down for the performance itself. At the same time, why cannot I have some tunes on to help keep me entertained while engaging in some mundane exercise such as on the eliptical or the afore-mentioned swimming laps in the pool? I don't think it is "trivializing it" at all and if anything, at least it allows me to both enjoy the music at the same time trying to keep in some resemblance of shape. Amazing what a good pair of earbuds (in my case, Klipsch s4i), and good MP3 player with high-bit-rate MP3 files can do for motivating me at the gym! [H] Plus, I would rather listen to my own tunes instead of the crap they usually have piped in at the gym anyway (basically top-40 pop crap - nothing kills a workout faster than having to suffer through a Justin Bieber song. [+o(] ).

I very much agree. If you want to be transported from where you are nearly all the time, every day, do you remember how to really be here?

A few years ago, a bear was spotted near a running trail in rural Quebec. Signs were posted telling of the danger and that runners and hikers should not be alone. One elite runner decided to go for a run alone, while wearing earphones. She never heard the bear until he caught her and killed her. That was two kinds of bad idea.

I've tried going around downtown with music playing in my ears and can't get used to being unable to hear the traffic when crossing streets. It's not just dangerous, it seems odd to be detached/insulated from the reality all around you.

When I'm working out, at home or at the gym, I want to focus on what my muscles are doing, to concentrate on keeping good form, and to visualize them getting stronger and developing more stamina. The workouts aren't long enough to be boring, for me at least.

As oscarsear says, it also dilutes the importance of the music. "Music" becomes "tunes", just a kind of aural wallpaper. I don't even like that in elevators. Why would I want it everywhere else as well?

Back in the Summer of 1978 (18 years old), I had a Summer job working for Rosner Custom Sound out of Long Island City, N.Y. One of our clients was Harry Helmsley, a real estate mogul. Went to his Penthouse Apartment overlooking Central Park at the Park Lane Hotel. Believe it or not there was a large pool on the roof which had Bozak speakers installed IN it.The speakers were flush mounted along the inner walls of the pool and yes they were underwater.

Joe

Awkward silence in elevators is much more fun. It's also fun to stand facing the back of the elevator instead of the door, and even better without elevator music for the others to focus on instead of that person facing backwards.

Yeah.....if I'm alone, I usually face into the corner.

If I'm with my wife and there's folks in the elevator, when the door closes I say to her, "Yeah.....this is the one that fell last week a couple of stories before the brakes kicked in. I think they've fixed it by now. It's always been a screwy car." The looks on some folks faces.......

With my luck, I'd be swimming along with my ear buds and all of a sudden I'd hear that buuuuuu-DUM..............buuuuuu-DUM............buuuuuu-DUM....buuuuuu-DUM...buuuuuu-DUM..buuuuuu-DUM, buuuuuu-DUM, buuuuuu-DUM, dunta, dunta, dunta, dunta, dunta, dunta music from Jaws!

Tom

Back to the originally scheduled program, anyone ever heard any of the underwater speakers? In particular the aquasonics? I was wondering how good these could possibly sound. Not looking to compete with my la scalas but was thinking more along the lines of accompaning my outdoor speakers. Looks like something that could add some entertainment to the pool during the summer.