Made the Pioneer plunge!

endover

Called Best Buy today to see if they would honor Amazon's price on a Pioneer Elite SC-72. FYI..."Elite" products do not carry a manufacturer warranty on ANY online dealer even if they sell the product. Bottom line is that Best Buy said they would match Amazon's price so I made the purchase. Too bad they are currently out of stock but I should be getting the unit by next weekend. With the purchase thru Best Buy, I get a 30 day return policy if I don't like it and as I stated above, I now get a Pioneer 2 year warranty. All I have paid is 6% sales tax for those nice options. Against my normal process, I went ahead and purchased the 4 year extended warranty thru Best Buy ($119 extra) since it covers power surges and lightning strikes (which is why I'm in the situation in the first place). Anyhoo...it's been a long time coming but I can't wait to get my hands on it next weekend!

Called Best Buy today to see if they would honor Amazon's price on a Pioneer Elite SC-72. FYI..."Elite" products do not carry a manufacturer warranty on ANY online dealer even if they sell the product. Bottom line is that Best Buy said they would match Amazon's price so I made the purchase. Too bad they are currently out of stock but I should be getting the unit by next weekend. With the purchase thru Best Buy, I get a 30 day return policy if I don't like it and as I stated above, I now get a Pioneer 2 year warranty. All I have paid is 6% sales tax for those nice options. Against my normal process, I went ahead and purchased the 4 year extended warranty thru Best Buy ($119 extra) since it covers power surges and lightning strikes (which is why I'm in the situation in the first place). Anyhoo...it's been a long time coming but I can't wait to get my hands on it next weekend!

That Pio should work nicely for you the Elites have the best power per channel driven ( IE; they don't drop off wattage like most all the other AVR's do when pushing 5+ channels )

Yeesss.....Pioneer!!!....Nice choice Sir, Nice choice....[Y]......I went from a Pioneer VSX-1020-ah-k to an Elite VSX-32 and the first time I plugged it in and played it, it almost blew my speakers.....They were cheap JBL and Bose at the time. I really didn't even turn it up that much but they went it to popping mode on one of my first test songs. I dove for the volume knob, and just started laughing at the new power.......[8-|].........I also got that old Pioneer 1020(open box) at BestBuy and paid extra for their warranty. About 4 months later, the Visual processors died on me. When I went there to check on the amp they said it would cost more than I paid to fix it.........They had an (open box)/used VSX-32 when I got my money back sooooo...... I upgraded.

Picked up my SC-72 today and have only had an hour or so to play with it and I need a LOT more time than that. Can you guys help me with a quick question off hand...I thought the SC-72 had TV pass-thru that allowed you to watch TV without turning the system on? i.e. I don't need Dora the Explorer in surround! I can't seem to find that feature (that my wife really wants). If I could get an answer to that right away, I think it would make peace with the rest of the family so I can buy time to learn the rest of the capabilities.

I dont know about the 72 but my SC35 doesn't have a pass feature. I just dont turn on my receiver and the sound automatically plays through the monitor speakers.

and you're right... it takes a while to toy around with the amp to get all the setting worked to where you like them, only to have to do it again when the amp starts to break in a little.

oh and congrates on the superb AVR, you're going to be very happy.

Why not watch everything using the system. That is what I do. I can default to the TV speakers using my Harmony remote. Once the system is setup right you will find that some Disney Jr. and some other TV stations are not all in surround DD or 5.1. I was looking at an SC 67 today and for $1,247 It did not have enough extra to buy at that price, lol.

Keep in mind...I got the SC-72 from Best Buy (full factory Pioneer 2 year warranty) with Best Buys additional 4 year warranty for around $1,250 out the door. They matched Amazon's price of $894 for the unit. The rest was warranty and 6% Florida sales tax.

As for watching TV with the system on....I want my 4 year old to be able to turn the TV on by herself (a little independence is good here and there). Asking her to turn on the TV and the Pioneer on and then asking her NOT to turn it up too loud is not in her skill set just yet. Besides....my wife prefers just the TV anyway unless we're watching a movie. ...and despite who wears the pants in the family....she wins....

When I put my Pioneer in standby mode and turn the TV on, nothing happens(meaning I don't get a picture or sound thru the TV). I can't find it anywhere in the manuals. Is there another name for it other than "TV pass-thru"?

Both of my Pioneer receivers have the pass-thru function, I remember it taking a little while to find it in the menus. Keep looking and you will find it, I think it might have been in the HDMI menu section because I remember having to turn it on for a specific input. I will look at my settings and get back to you if I can find the exact one.

It's gonna have something to do with power save pass through according to all the pioneer PDF files I have looked at. So start going through those. On my denon it's in the video action under hdmi setup. I have to have hdmi control on or it won't work. The. I have to either pick a single stand by source or last used. I like cable sat only. Since anything else we watch the home theater is being used. Hope this helps.

Directly from the manual for your receiver:

8 Select the Standby Through setting you want.

It is possible to transfer signals from an HDMI-connected player to the TV when this receivers power is on standby.

Select the HDMI input whose HDMI signal is to be input for through transfer when in the standby mode. When Last is selected, the signal being input to the currently selected HDMI input is transferred. When OFF is selected, no HDMI input is transferred through when in the standby mode. (However, when Control is set to ON, the HDMI signal is transferred through by the Control with HDMI function even when in the standby mode.)

! WhenanythingotherthanOFFissetforthissetting,thereceiversHDMIinputcanbeswitchedevenwhen the receiver is in the standby mode. (Switch by pointing the remote control at the receiver and pressing the HDMI, BD, DVD, SAT/CBL or DVR/BDR button.)

! ThissettingcanbeusedevenwithdevicesthatarenotcompatiblewiththeControlwithHDMIfunction.

! TheStandbyThroughfunctioncannotbeusedwithMHL-compatibledevices.

9 When youre finished, press HOME MENU.

You guys are awesome!!! I think I found the same thing late last night on page 62 of the manual (as I was nodding off) but by then, the wife was well involved in her show (and wouldn't take kindly to me bringing up an on-screen menu so I've got to try it tonight). Thanks! I've got a few other quirks that I've got to figure out so I'll keep chipping away at it.

Are you still happy with your SC-72 purchase? I have pretty much talked myself into it, especially now that you mentioned Amazon's price. How about a little mini review?

sorry if i keep bursting your bubble. neither of the sellers on amazon that are selling that for 899 are authorized dealers. although you may not care, just thought i would throw it out there.