Made the Pioneer plunge!

endover

Sorry...things have been waaaaay busy at my end and I haven't checked the forum for updates. Here's the scoop! I've got the SC-72 up and running and have performed the MCACC but I have not had 1 second more to tweak and play. I got it running (and the TV pass-pass thru for my wife and kids) I've had it a week and a half now and have yet to put a movie in. I have Avengers Blu-Ray sitting right next to me on the counter and hope to get to play this weekend. I will let you know when I get it done. I will say...it's got quite the learning curve which is a little frustrating but I'm bent on getting it figured out! As for the Amazon thing...You are correct. Pioneer Elite has NO authorized internet dealers at all. Because of this, (and I didn't have enough confidence in the Square Trade aftermarket warranty), I went to Best Buy and showed them where Amazon.com was selling the unit for $899 and they matched it. I now have the full 2 year warranty from Pioneer. Keep in mind that I think Amazon itself has to be selling the unit and not a secondary dealer thru Amazon although I think it's up to Best Buys discretion to match or not match if it's not Amazon directly. I'm just amazed though. Best Buy sells it for $1399 and the came down $400 which means....someone's pocketing $400 profit if you were to buy it direct from Best Buy. Wow!

I have found for movies run the auto set up and leave it pretty much. Tweak the speaker size and crossovers to what you want but thats about it for movies and tv. If you want to run two channel i would set up a second preset for that. The auto set up will set the eq great for movies but not so much for 2ch music. That you will have to do yourself imo.

I'll preface this with the fact that I've not spent more than 1 hour setting up my system and I have to go back and tweak but.... When I ran the auto setup, and let it play after that, there seemed to be no low end. My 12" sub could barely be heard and it sounded like my Chorus II's lost all their bottom end. I have a HUGE front stage between my Chorus's and my KLF-C7 now and it should be crankin good but it wasn't! I don't doubt it's something I'm doing, I just have to figure it out. Hopefully between my son's baseball and taking down a tree in the backyard, I'll have time this weekend to play!

There is a MCACC thread over at the AVS forum that might be helpful ( http://www.avsforum.com/t/1112470/official-pioneer-mcacc-thread ). I found that MCACC wants the sub a lot lower than I want, and seemed to have less bass on the front 3 than I liked as well. The good news is that is easy to tweak in the manual settings.

I remember that when I set up my SC-35 a couple years ago, I had to go into settings and set my mains to "small". When they were set to "large" I barely noticed my dual subs at all. This is part of the reason I decided to do with the Denon X4000, I really wanted to try out the Audyssey Platnium MultEQ XT32. I am sure I will return to Pioneer again as I feel ther make the best AVR's, just wanted to try a different room corrections. I really wasn't impressed with the HK AVR3700's room correction, the only reason I got rid of it.

I found that MCACC wants the sub a lot lower than I want, and seemed to have less bass on the front 3 than I liked as well.

This is certainly typical, and Audyysey will do the same.

I've found +6 dB to be good (amp gain setting) compromise between "enough for music" without being too hot for movies. Then trimming up or down from there to taste.

This is where a subwoofer trim button on the remote comes in extremely handy. Not all AVR's have them.

There is a MCACC thread over at the AVS forum that might be helpful ( http://www.avsforum.com/t/1112470/official-pioneer-mcacc-thread ). I found that MCACC wants the sub a lot lower than I want, and seemed to have less bass on the front 3 than I liked as well. The good news is that is easy to tweak in the manual settings.

I am @ +4/+4.5 on my sub setting with a SC35... it's just a tad soft for music and a tad strong for my taste in movies.

How are folks connecting their Pioneers to their BR devices and satellite boxes? I just purchased a SC-65 ($850 out the door). I initially configured it the typical way - BR/SAT directly to Pioneer and then the Pioneer to the Plasma (all HDMI) - and setup HDMI passthrough. That worked but the sound volume on the tv had to be turned way up. Normally 20 on the tv is good when you have conversation etc, but configured via passthrough, I had to turn volume up to 50 to hear the tv with no conversation. I then experimented by connecting the BR/SAT directly to the tv as before and ran a HDMI cable from one HDMI input on the tv back to the Pioneer and enabled ARC. So, now, TV operates exactly like it always did, and if I want to hear it through the HT, I turn on the Pioneer and mute the tv and there is no need to swap source on the Pioneer. Anyone else doing this? Any drawbacks one can think of other than no video conversion occurs within the Pioneer? Any suggestions on what could be done to use passthrough but not have the volume go in the tank?