Addition. Theater Room, Sound Insulation

akdave

Well the rock is done. My intent was to get a pic of the track going up on the back wall but they were operating quickly today.

Now I have to pick colors finally. I hate doing that but I'd like to get that done before carpet. I'm thinking charcoal-ish for the ceiling don't know yet about the walls...

I can definitely hear a major difference in footfall noise on the floor overhead. This will not eliminate noise transfer - people will be able to tell a movies being watched but hopefully it won't be obnoxious.post-52637-0-93480000-1402793031_thumb.j

post-52637-0-74580000-1402793066_thumb.j

Tape/texture happens Monday.

Edited by akdave

• 1 month later...

Slow moving (but moving). Tape/texture is done. I am priming now and hope to paint this week. The unprimed wall is going to initially be a painted on screen. My goal is to get an inexpensive feel for how big a screen I want and can fit with the throw distance in the room. I imagine at this point doing a large at screen someday - this will get me started.

This is no where near an ellisr63 project but I'm going to love it! I included a pic of the gap created by the channel on the existing wall of our house. The existing wall was left in place, we put a layer of soundboard down, then channel, then drywall. On the ceiling there is soundboard (against the joists), channel, a layer of 1/2" & 5/8" drywall.

post-52637-0-98840000-1405446155_thumb.j

post-52637-0-99400000-1405446171_thumb.j

post-52637-0-70640000-1405446185_thumb.j

PS - here is the link I've been following for the screen. I hadn't considered this but a friend just did it (following this link) and I was very impressed! I think he's out $60 for a 106" screen and this will probably run me two gallons for a total of $120ish. Relatively cheap experiment and I can hang curtains or frame it however until I "graduate" to a real screen.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm?page=Finding-the-Perfect-Paint

PS - here is the link I've been following for the screen. I hadn't considered this but a friend just did it (following this link) and I was very impressed! I think he's out $60 for a 106" screen and this will probably run me two gallons for a total of $120ish. Relatively cheap experiment and I can hang curtains or frame it however until I "graduate" to a real screen.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm?page=Finding-the-Perfect-Paint

Sounds like a fun project Dave as well as a low cost alternative to a fixed or electric screen. Hope you like the results!

Paint is done for now. (Minus touch ups). I will likely build a frame for the screen pull/glue felt around it. Progress will hold for a bit until carpet is in - maybe a month or so. Other parts of the house need attention. The screen is 150" the paint for the screen cost me $60. Low cost experiment.

post-52637-0-77420000-1405833178_thumb.j

post-52637-0-66940000-1405833224_thumb.j

Edited by akdave

• 1 month later...

Coming along - lots to do still! I still have to touch up the edges of the paint, do the trim, place the lighting (along the upper angles of the ceiling running front to back - led strips) but necessity required we move the gear back in and carpet ASAP. So the carpet is done and the gear is back "home".

Some thoughts already - AT screen will be a must! I didn't think out wire locale so I had to put my av rack where it is to cover the crop of wires/cables coming out of the wall which left me only the corner to put the sub. Not the end of the world but AT will definitely allow placement flexibility.

On a "YES!" note, a friend was over and she was on the main level of the house. We had put a blu ray concert on (Chris Botti in Boston - not War of the Worlds but still) and she came down and said "oh my goodness that's so much sound and you can't even tell this is on upstairs!" I wanted to kiss her on the mouth but that would have proved awkward as she's my mother in laws best friend, I digress.

Anyway - I think we have some serious success on the noise reduction! I won't give a final eval until the door is on the room and the door is on the furnace room in the corner - there is substantial noise bleed through both. But our laundry was going upstairs, the music downstairs (I put in some Toto peaking 100db) and standing in the middle level of the house, the laundry was far more noticeable than the music. I'm pleased. Again, more info on that when it's finished, but so far I'm thrilled!

For now, the tv is back in the room - I have to bide my time on the projector - lots going on still with the addition and mom's bathroom wins over dad's projector right now. This has been fun and I know we are going to enjoy many hours in our little theater/concert hall!

post-52637-0-39580000-1408549195_thumb.jpost-52637-0-79300000-1408549288_thumb.jpost-52637-0-75380000-1408549332_thumb.jpost-52637-0-56140000-1408549384_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thanks Ref, I've been looking at Sonys new Vpl-HW40ES, I've seen the picture and it's outstanding for its lower price point. My thinking is to not go "all in" on a projector right now as this resolution is beginning it's "sunset", and wait for a couple of years for the 4k's to come down to earth.

• 5 weeks later...

Probably the sony vpl hw55es. I have a local connection with a dealer - he gives me a good price. Still scratching my pennies together and I'm torn on selling my 65" panasonic. We don't really have another good spot for a 65" tv but it's a small market for a high end 2 year old tv that's about to be put under more "price pressure" with the lowering 4k models, but I don't want to give it away either.

Now back to my first world problems...

I'm open to projector recommendations.

I went through the same thing with my 70" tv. We had it behind the screen and the plan was to watch tv on it and then movies on the projector. We just we barely ever put the screen up to watch it. Was thinking hard of selling it but we found a place for it. Would have lost a lot of money on a really nice tv (that was less than a year old). Now we use it everyday in the family room.

Edited by reference_head
  • Like 1

Well you could grab something like a used epson 8350 for cheap. And then wait it out tell you find your dream projector. Then sell the 8350 for close to what you paid. You have that new room you must be dying to get the movies going :).

I very much am - with addition still slowly grinding along, a terminally ill father and a baby due inside of two weeks - some legitimate distractions have come up.  But all in its place - I'm so stinkin ready to fire up some movies on a big screen!!  :)