MCM 1900 at Burning Man "Big Bad Wolf"

smashwuf

Photo of our rave system we call the "Big Bad Wolf", taken at Burning Man 2013 just before we broke it down to go home. This system operated full volume , 24 hours a day for 8 days with no failures in one of the harshest environments on the planet , and only used two 20 amp circuits on a small Harbor Freight portable gasoline generator. It produced 130 dBC of bass below 80 Hz and could still be heard at the trash fence a few miles away in deep playa, the outer boundary of the festival

post-59170-13819859938542_thumb.png

• 2 months later...

Some pix on the web of the event http://totallycoolpix.com/2013/09/burning-man-2013/ chris

also lots of cool pix of gear, mcm etc on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/SmashwolfProductions

even one of m. colter

attachicon.gif13758_185894911282_7255999_n.jpg

"Not to be taken away"? You do know they closed the funny farm long ago. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I' m restoring an old MCM 1900, here you can reed the whole story.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201497766941132&set=gm.704544146224282&type=1&theater

I'm using the Techron TEF 12 acoustic analyzer to check the system.

I'm in great dilemma if to keep it up with original components (these are quite old and cheap design), as it could be like an historycal car, or to improve it with today components, with a complete redesign, retaining just the wood boxes, trying to achieve a "Turbo MCM", but of course losing its hystorical value.

I'm sure you all here know this system so I'll go directly to the questions.

Bass Horn MWM/S

The original specified driver is K43. It was good in the middle eighties, but is still good today?

Mmmh, I'm not so sure, because power capabilities is quite low in respect to actual 15" woofers.

Do you think it may be substituted with something of higher power/sensitivity/reliability, without affecting the overall bass sound quality?

Do any of you tried to change it with something else?

Do any of you know the T/S parameters of the K43?

Mid bass Horn MSSM

In this horn there is a Gauss 3181, but I know the original component is K41. Dont know how the Gauss was found in it. Do you know the parameters of this K41? It should be considered good as the Gauss?

Mid high Horn MSM

In this horn there are four K55V drivers on a manifold attached to a 2" K260 horn.

Do you think that this complex can be substituted with something newer, and if so, with what?

What do you think of single 2" phenolic driver on the K260? Do any of you tried to do this?

High Horn MMTM

This two horn with two K78 each. These starts at 6000 Hz hardly reach 16000 Hz and with about 108 dB sensitivity.

I believe that a single horn with two 1" drivers may do a better job, maybe starting at about 4 Khz. and reaching at least 20 kHz.

Sorry for all these questions, I would like to hear your opinions.

Regards

Marcello

• Like 1

The original specified driver is K43. It was good in the middle eighties, but is still good today?

Mmmh, I'm not so sure, because power capabilities is quite low in respect to actual 15" woofers.

It's about efficiency. I am pretty sure these are 4ohm drivers and handle 50watts rms. IMO, they are still good today.

Do you think it may be substituted with something of higher power/sensitivity/reliability, without affecting the overall bass sound quality?

You are reinventing the wheel. These drivers are specifically made to be installed in these enclosures as well as the LaScala pro's. Increasing the power handling ability with a new driver with different T/S specs will change the characteristics of the bin.

Do any of you tried to change it with something else?

I'm sure some will chime in on this. I personally have not tried.

Do any of you know the T/S parameters of the K43?

If nobody knows the answer to this, perhaps you or somebody could take the measurements of the bin itself and calculate the driver needed. Keep in mind this is a horn loaded sub when making your calculations. I would think any driver which could replace either a K-33 or a K-43 would work fine.

Edited by mustang guy

" I am pretty sure these are 4ohm drivers and handle 50watts rms."

Old ones were rated at 200W, new ones are 500W (improved adhesives).

I've used the old ones, four drivers series-parallel connected, on 1.8KW (program material) of Crest power with no failures (other than having to replace the tinsel leads, the new leads are better).

Edited by djk

" I am pretty sure these are 4ohm drivers and handle 50watts rms."

Old ones were rated at 200W, new ones are 500W (improved adhesives).

I've used the old ones, four drivers series-parallel connected, on 1.8KW (program material) of Crest power with no failures (other than having to replace the tinsel leads, the new leads are better).

I must have been thinking of the K-33. I thought the (old?) K-43 had twice the power handling.

This is a picture of the newest MCM-4 setup. Old MCM bass bins, and newest mid-bass, and upper frequency horns. Also shown are the current KPT-684 subs.

Edit: Sorry, not sure why pic won't load. Tried a couple of times.

post-10431-0-25580000-1386003673_thumb.j

Edited by mark1101

Thanks. Basically I posted to show how Klipsch improved all the upper horns but kept the MWMs. Notice the mid-bass and HF horn are the same horn (K402). One uses an 8" driver with a can, and the other a 2" driver. The ultra-high freq horn (K510) uses a 2" driver as well.

This takes up a good deal of my basement but sounds better than any of the other Klipsch I've had.

I can only imagine how the "big bad wolf" sounds. It's a fitting name.