External Hard Drive with Network/Wi Fi

derrickdj1

I have been think of adding additional storage for my media files. I use my laptop for storage and streaming, I am considering getting a 4 TB external hard drive with ethernet and built and Wi Fi. This could be used to store and stream movies and music. Is there a better way?

you can get a NAS with remote access by one of your other computers on the network. I have toyed with the notion, "toyed" being the key word. Don't really have the funds to play with one atm. I just hook my main tower up via optical to send music to my processors. You could also use a red mere HDMI for video provided your current video card supports it. This doesn't solve a server type situation which is what you are getting at.

I use a WD 3Tb live My Book. Has cloud storage so the computer does not have to be on to access. Plugged into my wifi router the whole house has access to all the music and movies that are stored on it.

I think it was about $149.00 when I got it a few months back. Great unit.

I have a wireless router with a couple of NAS external hard drives attached. My main computer backs up all audio and video files to the external HDs so any computer in the house can access the files. My main basement system has a retired Gateway desktop which I use to stream from the hard drives. Supposedly my Pioneer receivers could stream from the NAS as well but I prefer to use the computer and J.River Media Center.

WD My Book Live 3TB Personal Cloud Storage - NAS, Shared Storage & Backup for Computers, Tablets, Cell Phones - WDBACG0030HCH-NESN

This is what I have seen available. I think this is what some of you have suggested. Thanks for all the suggestions.

There are many ways to get this done.

As I look at some of the other suggestions I occured to me that I have used or attempted almost all of them in the attempt to deliver media to my TV. Currently I am using a dedicated HTPC (Home Theater PC) to supply all of my media to my main watching area and to the other areas in my home as well. Attatched to the HTPC is a 2TB eSATA which stores all of my ripped movies, music and TV shows.

I tried Windows Media Center, Media Portal, Plex, Boxee and a couple of others. I ended up finding that I liked XBMC the best. I found it to have the interface and functionality to do what I needed and a boat load of add-ons to keep things interesting. I use a Linux distro of XBMC called OpenELEC. Kinda turns the whole HTPC into an appliance that updates and maintains itself as well as it provides a rich media environment.

Long story short, there are tons of options, just find what works best for you and go for it.