HDMI 2.0 officially announced

TasDom

your old cables will work but all the new features will not work on your existing equipment .

your equipment is obsolete going forward ,

IE; all those guys who bought that great deal on the Denon of last year's model , it wasn't such a great deal after all

I dunno--I got a good deal on the Denon AVR-4311ci and don't see how just because HDMI 2.0 has just been announced it is already "obsolete." Why should I be unhappy with my decision?

Do you think that is future proof? LOL

Not at all. I'm 38 and I remember in my early 20's, I almost purchased a brand new Gateway Computer that had a 4GB Hard Drive. At that time, I honestly thought there is no way I could EVER fill a 4GB hard drive in my entire lifetime......I was wrong. What I didn't take into consideration was the fact that as technology progresses, everything gets larger and requires upgrades to handle the additional requirements. Same is true with Audio/Video.

That's why I hardly ever stay "cutting edge" because the depreciation is far too great. Buying a few year old technology that is still current and effective is my preferred choice.

Heh... when I first thought about buying a PC a friend of mine who knew a whole lot more about them said "I don't know... I think a 486 would probably be more than you ever need, I think you should get a 386"

I'm glad I didn't listen to him!

Lol im with you. I think 2 above would be cool. But having 32 channels is going to be a monster size avr. Think thats 64 single speaker terminals to put on the back. Its going to be way over priced at first.

I would think it would have to come in multiple pieces or something...That would be crazy tho. Can't wait to see what comes out. I think I'm still pretty well off for at least the next few years+ with what I have.

I remember my first modem. It was a 1200 baud! What a screamer! I thought I died and went to heaven when I got my 2400 baud modem. I also remember being one of the few people that had the new bleeding edge 40MB Rodime HD. That thing was the size and weight of a cinder block.

Now I have a lowly 15Mb/s cable connection and a few TB HD's, 4TB being the bleeding edge. Time span from say 1983 to now 30 years. Difference in storage capacity 40MB to 4TB = exactly 100,000 times the capacity. Speeds 1200 baud compared to 15Mb/s = 12,500 times faster bandwidth. That's what 30 years will do!

. Can't wait to see what comes out. I think I'm still pretty well off for at least the next few years+ with what I have.

I agree and just having recently purchased my Denon AVR-4311ci don't think I am going to be at a loss for some time to come even with the advent of HDMI 2.0...My next upgrade is going to be a monitor and hopefully by then some of the prices will have come down. It's going to be hard to beat the SQ of these units and it's one of the few that doesn't have the handshaking problems or HDMI boards burning out like some folks have had with other AVRs.

Yep--I don't see how any of our current HDMI AVRs now are going to be obsolete anytime soon... From the link above:

When?
Don't expect to see HDMI 2.0 products this Christmas. At least not in any serious way. The spec comes first, then the chip makers design and build the chips, then TV, Blu-ray, and receiver manufacturers build these chips into TVs, Blu-ray players, and receivers. It's safe to assume that at least one of these stages is already well in progress, but that should result in 2014 models (think CES announcements). Panasonic on the other hand, is already promising HDMI 2.0 compliance for one of its TVs.

And in reality, you shouldn't really worry about HDMI 2.0 at all (hmm, I guess I can answer that question from the intro). No doubt, HDMI 2.0 is very cool, and frees up a lot of elbow room to expand the current TV world. But until there are actual products you want to buy that have HDMI 2.0 in them, you shouldn't worry about it. Even then, your current HDMI 1.4 gear will interface with any new 2.0 gear just fine.

your old cables will work but all the new features will not work on your existing equipment .

your equipment is obsolete going forward ,

IE; all those guys who bought that great deal on the Denon of last year's model , it wasn't such a great deal after all

I dunno--I got a good deal on the Denon AVR-4311ci and don't see how just because HDMI 2.0 has just been announced it is already "obsolete." Why should I be unhappy with my decision?

You should be very happy with your decision, that's a awesome AVR. congrats [Y]

Do you think that is future proof? LOL

Not at all. I'm 38 and I remember in my early 20's, I almost purchased a brand new Gateway Computer that had a 4GB Hard Drive. At that time, I honestly thought there is no way I could EVER fill a 4GB hard drive in my entire lifetime......I was wrong.

When I started my job, I had a 486 PC with 16 MB of RAM and two 500MB disks, for about 4K$. I bought a 4MB RAM upgrade to bump it to 20 MB for $400.