Power amplifier match

jfg02

Hey guys ! I'd like to get your opinion on whether or not it is a good ideo to use my AVR as a preamp for the 3 front channels with an Emotiva XPA-3 (300 wpc) ? Will I notice an improvement on my RF-82 and RC-62 speakers ? The main idea is to get the best from them on music listening. Should you have any suggestion, don't hesitate !

Thanks

Yes it has 8 pre-outs (including the sub out). Actually it is a 85 wpc audi-video receiver. Would 300 wpc will give a noticeable improvement ? Or is it simply too much ? Actually I don't know that much about that king of things. Emotiva is selling 1000 watts monoblock amplifiers, what would it be for ?

Actually, Emotiva just told me that the XPA-3 Generation 2 was going to be available in the next few weeks. I will wait for it, so it might be somewhere around november or december ! I was only wondering if it was too much power for my speakers ?

If the avr is 85 watts then the poweramp is a great Ideal. 200-300 watts is plenty or slightly overkill for the Reference line of speakers. If waiting on the new model will cost more money, IMO, buy the older generation. A lot of us use older amps and they sound great. My Yamaha M 80 and Carver M 400 are from the early 80's.

If the avr is 85 watts then the poweramp is a great Ideal. 200-300 watts is plenty or slightly overkill for the Reference line on speakers. If wait on the new model will cost more money, IMO, buy the older generation. A lot of us use older amps and they sound great. My Yamaha M 80 and Carver M 400 are from the early 80's.

Actually, there is no more of the older model available from Emotiva. No choice but to wait ! By the way, could you tell me with what kind of amp you would power an Heritage line speakers such as Cornwalls ? I'm looking over it for the future... ! And for what kind of speakers a 1000 watts monoblock would be for ?

By the way, could you tell me with what kind of amp you would power an Heritage line speakers such as Cornwalls ?

Ever thought they have high sensitivity and output, Something 150-200 watts should be good due to the larger woofer. I don't own any Heritage speakers so, wait too see if some of the Heritage ower will chime in on the thread.

If the avr is 85 watts then the poweramp is a great Ideal. 200-300 watts is plenty or slightly overkill for the Reference line on speakers. If wait on the new model will cost more money, IMO, buy the older generation. A lot of us use older amps and they sound great. My Yamaha M 80 and Carver M 400 are from the early 80's.

Actually, there is no more of the older model available from Emotiva. No choice but to wait ! By the way, could you tell me with what kind of amp you would power an Heritage line speakers such as Cornwalls ? I'm looking over it for the future... ! And for what kind of speakers a 1000 watts monoblock would be for ?

The 1000 watt amp, as earlier stated, would be for something like a large Subwoofer or concert venue. Not really necessary for home use.

As for which amp to use with Heritage speakers, well that's a whole can of worms. I think you would be better off doing a search and seeing what has already been discussed many times. Some people us a 3 - 50 watt tube amp with Heritage speakers and others, like myself use100 - 300 wpc Solid State amps. The possibilities are endless.

It's almost easier for you to find an amp and then ask for our experience with it.

Keep us posted,

Dennie

jfg02,

JC from this forum had 1000 watt McIntosh Monoblocks running a pair of McIntosh speakers, McIntosch sells some speakers that will handle 2000 watts per channel and there are others as well.

I run my heritage speakers with old Nakamichi PA-7 and PA-7II amplifiers wich are both 2 channel amplifiers (I use 4 of them for 7 channel surround sound and the amplifiers are 200 watts and 225 watts per channel respectively. One of these wopuld be more than enough to run some Cornwalls.

Roger

As for which amp to use with Heritage speakers, well that's a whole can of worms. I think you would be better off doing a search and seeing what has already been discussed many times. Some people us a 3 - 50 watt tube amp with Heritage speakers and others, like myself use100 - 300 wpc Solid State amps. The possibilities are endless.

It's almost easier for you to find an amp and then ask for our experience with it.

As I've cautioned before, very high power can come with a high sensitivity and high gain, which can be a PITA with Heritage efficiency -- high amp gain can magnify preamp hiss and noise, and then when you can hear it over the music, you might think you have a "noisy amplifier."

As I've cautioned before, very high power can come with a high sensitivity and high gain, which can be a PITA with Heritage efficiency -- high amp gain can magnify preamp hiss and noise, and then when you can hear it over the music, you might think you have a "noisy amplifier."

Absolutely! My Adcom GF-555 adds some "hiss" even when the system is off. I can here a little hiss, but I don't hear it when the music is playing. I'm sure it is still there, but it is not noticeable to me. This is something to be cautious about.

Dennie

I agree with this statement totally although my rf7's are running on 200 watt adcom 565 monoblocks. Im running my chorus ii's with my crown xls2500 at near full gain at 440 watts at 8ohms. 100-150watts is more than plenty to push reference speakers. When you push a klipsch 15 it can use a bit more power to move it. Dont get me wrong the efficiency in large klipsch heritage models run rather well such as my belles on a 12x2 vacuum tube amp

By the way, could you tell me with what kind of amp you would power an Heritage line speakers such as Cornwalls ?

Ever thought they have high sensitivity and output, Something 150-200 watts should be good due to the larger woofer. I don't own any Heritage speakers so, wait too see if some of the Heritage ower will chime in on the thread.

• Like 3

1000 watts per channel gives a certain authority and solidity to the sound that is hard to get with lower-powered amps. High gain can pass along preamp hiss, but with a low-noise preamp it's not a problem.

With the high or very high sensitivity of Klipsch speakers, most of the time they'll be using only a few watts, but the headroom that the high-powered amps provide makes transients sound more realistic. Transient peaks often require hundreds of times as much power as softer sounds, so you won't hear them properly if your power amp doesn't have enough power.

Naturally, you have to be careful with the volume control, and you can probably never turn the volume all the way up, because even clean undistorted sound can be painful at extreme levels. Your ears will set the volume limit, not the onset of distortion or the onset of amp strain.

Another factor with high-powered amps is that they're usually the company's flagship product, with features, build quality, and sound quality that you won't find on lower-end models by the same company.

One example is the Bryston 28B SST2 1000 watt monoblock. It's Bryston's best model and is built accordingly. It gets great reviews and most listeners prefer it to lower-powered amps by any brand.

Here's a short video description of the 28B:

A little more info on the 28B. Its specs are both impressive and hard to match. If you have the budget, they're very hard to beat.

http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/23601/21852

Hey guys ! I'd like to get your opinion on whether or not it is a good ideo to use my AVR as a preamp for the 3 front channels with an Emotiva XPA-3 (300 wpc) ? Will I notice an improvement on my RF-82 and RC-62 speakers ? The main idea is to get the best from them on music listening. Should you have any suggestion, don't hesitate !

Thanks

YES it will :)

Also keep in mind the xpa-3 is 200 watts per channel not 300. You can find used ones for around 500$ and warranty transfers as long as it is in the person you are buying from's name. But regardless it will a lot with those three speakers. And as far as heritage speakers go I have Cornwalls with a vintage pioneer that has power meters and I haven't got the power meters to kick over 40 watts. Some say 15" speakers need power. I agree with newer 15's if they have huge motors on them and high roll rubber surrounds and what not, but a paper style

Pro woofer like in the Klipsch does not require than kind of power. You could

Prolly find an older maranta or Harmon kardon receiver with 50 watts and they would sound fantastic.