RF83/64 amp question

botelerc

Can I utilize this amp: Rotel RB956AX, along side onkyo sr806? It will essentially be free.

Sure you can.

I was thinking of using it for my center and surrounds once I get them and strickly using the receiver to run my fronts. Any thoughts ?

Since this Rotel has plenty of flexibility, it can be configured in many different combinations. Try using it to run your center and surrounds and then try it as just a stereo amp driving your left and right fronts. Demo each configuration with complex music and action heavy movies with heavy mid/high bass punch. You then should know if you hear any benefits to adding the Rotel or not. Definitely worth experimenting if the amp is near free to you.

Bill

Won't hurt to try for free but I just looked up the specs at 30 watts rms per channel? If that's right I don't think you'll benefit at all. Best thing I could think to do if you already own it is to run your four surrounds off of it and let your receiver just run your front three.

• Moderators

Are you running 5.1 or 7.1? If 5.1, I believe your Onkyo will likely provide better power to your 5 speakers than by adding the 30 w RMS amp to the mix. I had an Onkyo 703 and a Yamaha RX-V1800 and both had no problem driving my 5.1 RF-83 system. Adding a 220 x 5 amp made a difference in added clarity, added bass (even at low volume), plenty of headroom, and the ability to reach reference levels without strain.

Just keep in mind when you biamp the three channels to get 100 watts/ch, you are increasing the amount of distortion into your system.