Difference RF7 vs RF7 ii?

Jaq

Hello,

I know what Klipsch states in their product catalog is the general differences but I haven't heard the ii series. I just recently picked up a pair of RF7's used and am taken back by the overwhelming highs. Is the improved crossover in the ii series that much of a difference? Would it be possible to buy the ii series crossovers from Klipsch and use them in the original series?

Thanks.

• Like 1

There is a mod for the RF 7's ( Dean G ). The high can be harsh and it depends on what your avr can do to tame them. A 4 ohm stabel avr is a good start. I have RF 7's and have no problem with harness. Also, the avr needs to be of sufficient power because at higher volume there is an imbalance of the HF and LF which leads to harshness. What avr do you have and what room correction soft are you using. Most of us drive the 7 and 7II's with a power amp. Even though Klipsch don't take as much power as some speakers, these big Reference line speakers have impedace dips that the amp has to handle.

I am pushing them with the pioneer sc-25, 140w/channel ice amp. Mind you i know this isn't a 200w x2 beast, still seems like it should be adequate. I have a bee-line on an emotiva 3 x200 that i may pick up this weekend.

as for the ohms, klipsch shows them at 8ohms???

• Like 1

The SC 25 has plenty of power. The X-curve function under manual sp setup can be used to help the HF. If the room is reflective an area rug and some throw blankets on furniture may help. Also in advance EQ, running MCACC 30-50 ms will takeout some of the shrill.[8-|]

thanks to everyone for your replies. i ran the auto mcacc but didnt run the version with the ms options, must have missed that. i also tried xcurve at -1.5db and -3db, which helped in home theater/movies, best at -1.5db imo. but music in 2 channel stereo or direct stereo was still not what i had hoped. i will mess with the eq and see if i can further tame them without altering the quality.

• Like 1

Go into MCACC, then Advanced MCACC, then Manual MCACC, then EQ Pro, then Advanced EQ and change the time to 30-50 ms. This should really make a difference. I don't use direct or pure direct because it disables most of the EQ which is needed in a difficult room. I run my 7's as small with an 80 Hz XO. This will add 4-6 db of dynamic range to the mid bass and leave more power for the LF. I hope this helps. If you still have problems, condiser the mod by Dean G or room treatments. Cutting the trim on the 2 or 4 kHz band by 3 db on the mains may help.

Hello,

I know what Klipsch states in their product catalog is the general differences but I haven't heard the ii series. I just recently picked up a pair of RF7's used and am taken back by the overwhelming highs. Is the improved crossover in the ii series that much of a difference? Would it be possible to buy the ii series crossovers from Klipsch and use them in the original series?

Thanks.

This question was asked and answered by klipsch a while back. The answer is no it cant use the new crossover. The horn in the old rf-7 can't be crossed over that low. The new rf-7ii uses a different horn that can be crossed over lower down too 1200hz. The old rf-7 horn is xover at 2200hz.

Go into MCACC, then Advanced MCACC, then Manual MCACC, then EQ Pro, then Advanced EQ and change the time to 30-50 ms. This should really make a difference. I don't use direct or pure direct because it disables most of the EQ which is needed in a difficult room. I run my 7's as small with an 80 Hz XO. This will add 4-6 db of dynamic range to the mid bass and leave more power for the LF. I hope this helps. If you still have problems, condiser the mod by Dean G or room treatments. Cutting the trim on the 2 or 4 kHz band by 3 db on the mains may help.

On my elite it only disables the eq with pure direct. The direct mode still uses the eq. Does it disable something else I'm not seeing?

I have not read all the different manuals but, it my understanding that Pure Direct and Direct both have deminished amounts of EQ. Here is an excerpt from my manual:

• AUTO SURROUND – See Auto playback on page 59.
• ALC – Listening in Auto level control mode (page 59).
DIRECT – Plays back sound from the source with the
least modification next to PURE DIRECT
. With
DIRECT, the only modifications added to PURE
DIRECT playback are calibration of the sound field by
the MCACC system and the Phase Control effect.
• PURE DIRECT – Plays back unmodified sound from
source with only minimal digital treatment.
No sound
is output from the Speaker B in this mode.
• OPTIMUM SURR (SC-37 only) – Listening in
Optimum Surround mode (page 59).

The SC 07 or 09 MCACC Manual is a good read to explain the Advance EQ functions. Changing the time peroid that MCACC use can change the shrill, reverb characteristic that are produced in the room. My room is untreated, so it comes in handy.

I can't remember where but I know I have read lots of different threads stating harshness being fixed with new and old rf-7's with room placement. I am guessing something about those speakers, but apparently they are a bit harder to place than normal. Bit once you play with that as well maybe you'll get em just right. Most people that own them love em! Good luck!

Before I could afford the full blown Dean G mod, he told me about adding a resistor the the HF circuit parallel to an existing resistor. The resistors were a couple bucks apiece and were easy to install (if you can at least half way solder). It made a HUGE difference in taming the upper end. It's one of the best bang for your buck mods you can do to these speakers.

Thanks. I live in Los Angeles area. If iI do mod the xovers, I will take Dean up on his offer and have them done right. As far as placement goes, I have had them toe'd at every angle, near and far from the sidewalls. Bass is definitely impacted, but not so much the highs. Have carpeted floors, but no room treatments with the exception of having window coverings to reduce the reflections.

• Like 1

If iI do mod the xovers, I will take Dean up on his offer and have them done right.

I had Dean do mine eventually and love them. The resistor mod will get you 70% of the way there (IMHO) and Dean is the one who told me about it. It's really easy and will make your speakers more enjoyable till you get the full blown re-do.

If iI do mod the xovers, I will take Dean up on his offer and have them done right.

I had Dean do mine eventually and love them. The resistor mod will get you 70% of the way there (IMHO) and Dean is the one who told me about it. It's really easy and will make your speakers more enjoyable till you get the full blown re-do.

CECAA850 is right ,1st do the resistor mod if $ is a issue but really Dean's & ALK's crossover networks take Klipsch speakers to the next level in SQ , Have Dean build a pair of networks for your 7's & be done with it .

Klipsch is famous for cutting corners in the parts & design of their crossover networks . I have ALK's & love them in my CornScala & CS-1.5 clones

I have not read all the different manuals but, it my understanding that Pure Direct and Direct both have deminished amounts of EQ. Here is an excerpt from my manual:

AUTO SURROUND See Auto playback on page 59.

ALC Listening in Auto level control mode (page 59).

DIRECT Plays back sound from the source with the

least modification next to PURE DIRECT. With

DIRECT, the only modifications added to PURE

DIRECT playback are calibration of the sound field by

the MCACC system and the Phase Control effect.

PURE DIRECT Plays back unmodified sound from

source with only minimal digital treatment. No sound

is output from the Speaker B in this mode.

OPTIMUM SURR (SC-37 only) Listening in

Optimum Surround mode (page 59).

The SC 07 or 09 MCACC Manual is a good read to explain the Advance EQ functions. Changing the time peroid that MCACC use can change the shrill, reverb characteristic that are produced in the room. My room is untreated, so it comes in handy.

With mine the eq in engaged on direct mode but not pure direct.