Speakerlab K build

Steve Cooley

These started out as factory built speakerlab K's. Klipschorns are hard to find around the Vancouver BC area and if you do find a pair they are well over 2,000 for beaters. I paid $600 for the pair of these as a starting point. I had hoped to do a build thread but my wife deleted most of my pictures off the camera. She thought I was done with them. I finished them in Rosewood. I had a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 mahogany core I bought years ago out of the local buy & sell for $100. I bought a 3x8 sheet of veneer off Ebay for the bass bins. I had enough left over to do the edge banding on the tops. I am lucky my dad has a well equipped work shop. He helped me out quite a bit. The bass driver is the speakerlab 1508S, the mid range driver is the speakerlab (sorry can't think of the part #) AlK universal and Crites tweeters. I am very happy with how they turned out and they sound great. I hope when I hit the post my pictures show up.

post-59541-13819860110166_thumb.jpg

These started out as factory built speakerlab K's. Klipschorns are hard to find around the Vancouver BC area and if you do find a pair they are well over 2,000 for beaters. I paid $600 for the pair of these as a starting point. I had hoped to do a build thread but my wife deleted most of my pictures off the camera. She thought I was done with them. I finished them in Rosewood. I had a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 mahogany core I bought years ago out of the local buy & sell for $100. I bought a 3x8 sheet of veneer off Ebay for the bass bins. I had enough left over to do the edge banding on the tops. I am lucky my dad has a well equipped work shop. He helped me out quite a bit. The bass driver is the speakerlab 1508S, the mid range driver is the speakerlab (sorry can't think of the part #) AlK universal and Crites tweeters. I am very happy with how they turned out and they sound great. I hope when I hit the post my pictures show up.

Very nice. I have two pairs of speakerlabs they are great speakers but the cabs are pretty beat up so they sit in the closet. To post multi pics just copy past the HTLM from photo bucket.

Those look very nice. They are the prettiest Speakerlab SKhorns I've seen. Not at all like the 4 black plywood SKhorns abused by me and used to deafen adolescents in my 70's DJ biz. The factory finished Skhorns weren't as well finished. If they're not the best looking Speakerlabs, they must be in the top 5. I can't imagine any looking better.

I have a set of Speakerlab plans I got from a forum member. They're 35 pages in pdf format and are 23.7 MB in file size. The limit for a pdf attachment on this forum is ~ 3 KB. Page 8 of the instructions alone exceeds the limit, therefore, attaching the document page by page is not possible.

If you send me a PM or email with your email address, I'll try to email it to you, and/or anyone else who is interested.

I have a CD ready to mail to a new member here, but he didn't email me his last name, only sent his address. I'm reluctant to address it to 'resident', blah, blah...

Included are the Cornwall two and three port measurements, and LaScalas. It has the pdf of the SK as well as extras and pics of his on KHorn build.

Bruce