Sound proofing an addition

akdave

I posted this link in the architectural section last week and there doesn't seem to be quite the traffic down there as there is here so I thought I would post a link here as well.

Any thoughts or experiences are greatly appreciated! [:)]

Thanks in advance! Apologies for the shoddy pictures, I will try to update with higer quality pics later on.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/145598-addition-theater-room-sound-insulation/

Edited by akdave

decoupling where possible is important. Off the top of my head i can't really suggest anything else other than what you are doing. You can add acoustic foam traps which will double and help prevent acoustic reflections. If you can use sound proof insulation similar to what is used in apartments, that will help.

Do you have a kids bedroom or something behind the HT wall?

If so, make a double wall. Second wall can be very thin, use
2x2 and 5/8 sheetrock and add some insulation inside. Foam would be the best,
if not even R-13-15 insulation will work, just separated in half. Put bid of
caulk on the studs before putting inner sheetrock on them and use sheetrock screws
instead of nails (you can use nails in some states by construction code)- it
reduces vibrations and deadens the sound.

Thanks for the replies!

dimanata - this is off of a daylight basement so the existing wall is largely opposite an open room which will be a kids playroom. There is a bedroom on the otherside as well but it will be a guest room. There is a furnace room that will be in that corner of the addition as well (opposite the bedroom). Great idea for a second wall - even though the existing is an 8 inch wall - no separation will certainly equal sound bleed. Thankfully it will be to a fairly open area and we have a door we can close to the basement. It will be better than average but not near the link Tasdom posted on the architectural page!

My goal is to wire for 9.2. Eventually I'd like to add RB 81 ii's for rear surrounds and front highs & a second SW 115. I love seeing everyone else's set ups and how they are overcoming challenges on this forum.

Thanks again for the feedback!

If you have a auto wreckyard by you rip out a bunch of interior floor & trunk jute sound insulation from some junk cars.

Use some furring strips over the existing wall and fill your jute in between your furring strips and drywall over.

Drywall itself is not good sound insulation but using R11/R13 between the studs, drywall, furring strips & jute you could even throw a cover of rubber matting over the furring strips before the drywall if you want extra sound protection.

• 2 weeks later...

Well nothing is going to stop the sound waves of that sub i have, it shakes the whole house

but the only other sound bleed i get is thru the air intake because it runs thru the same duct

as the living room right above but if i close the vent it's not noticable listening at normal volume

here's a gallery from start to finish

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?u=125928

John - thanks for the start to finish link! That sub looks like it "suffices" [:)]

That's an incredible front soundstage! I'm sure you're able to hear everything! Does the RC 64 ever struggle to keep up with the FOUR RF 83's?! [:o] (with enough power to run a small city no less)

Did you buy or build your acoustic panels?

John - thanks for the start to finish link! That sub looks like it "suffices" Smile

That's an incredible front soundstage! I'm sure you're able to hear everything! Does the RC 64 ever struggle to keep up with the FOUR RF 83's?! Surprise (with enough power to run a small city no less)

Did you buy or build your acoustic panels?

I moved a pair of the 83's to the back of the room for a 7.1 setup for movies and i just run multichannel stereo for music

the panels are GIK acoustics

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I posted this link in the architectural section last week and there doesn't seem to be quite the traffic down there as there is here so I thought I would post a link here as well.

Any thoughts or experiences are greatly appreciated! [ :)]

Thanks in advance! Apologies for the shoddy pictures, I will try to update with higer quality pics later on.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/176431.aspx

Can't get your link to work.

See specifically audio room sound proofing online.  If you need a double wall, have an adequate air space between the two walls, and make them heavy and airtight each with its own soleplate, and, perhaps, a layer of dense, closed celled sponge rubber between the plates and the floor they are attached to.  Jeff Cooper's old book on building a recording studio in a home is very helpful, and provides many soundproofing strategies, with drawings and TL (transmission loss, i.e. # of dBs of soundproofing given barriers will provide) ratings.  Nothing (or nearly nothing) will stop deep, loud bass from leaking.

• Like 1

Any thoughts or experiences are greatly appreciated! [ :)]

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/176431.aspx

Can't get your link to work.

See specifically audio room sound proofing online.  If you need a double wall, have an adequate air space between the two walls, and make them heavy and airtight each with its own soleplate, and, perhaps, a layer of dense, closed celled sponge rubber between the plates and the floor they are attached to.  Jeff Cooper's old book on building a recording studio in a home is very helpful, and provides many soundproofing strategies, with drawings and TL (transmission loss, i.e. # of dBs of soundproofing given barriers will provide) ratings.  Nothing (or nearly nothing) will stop deep, loud bass from leaking.

Thanks for bringing that up Gary - I don't know what changed but I updated the link - it should work now.