Sad day...=^(

ivanhurd

Hey everyone, I haven't been present on here much. I pop in every now and again, but I've been mostly researching car audio due to a new car purchase. I thought home audio was crazy to dig into...car audio is freakin insane! Anyways, the sad day: Due to getting a new job in the Air Force, I had to move and because there weren't any positions for my wife, she stayed behind in NM. Because we didn't know how long it would be before we were reunited, if you will, I ended up getting a 1 bedroom apartment. It's pretty small, so I had to put my Klipsch in a closet and that's probably where they will stay for the next year or so...booooo. I did keep the RB-81 IIs out for a 2 channel setup that will be in the bedroom, so it's not a complete loss, but dang I'm going to miss my 7.1. Luckily, I have a Harman Kardon HKTS 16 setup that was doing bedroom duty to get me through the next year. They are decent speaker for what they are, but you can definitely tell the difference. Just in the front stage the fullness just isn't there, which is to be expected since they are small speakers. The all around clarity isn't there either. I already can't wait to be able to get back into a house and hook my Klipsch back up. You don't know what you go until it's gone...

Sorry to hear that Ivan. But on the bright side, at least you didn't have to sell your beloved speakers.

True! I thought about it tho....very briefly =^P

Thank you for your service. Sorry for your sacrifice. Maybe you can pick up pair of Heresy of a local Craig's List to use for 2 channel until?

Met my wife at Little Rock AFB, but I have fond memories of the Air Force, anyway.

I actually saw some Cornwall IIs (I think?) on there the other day. Not really in the need of any more speakers for the house tho, concentrating on my car now =^)

Thank you for your service to our country. Where did you end up?

Aurora, CO. It's about an 8 hour drive from where she's at. Luckily, she just got accepted for retraining and we are hoping that she goes to tech school next month so that we will be back together sooner than we thought. Her school will be 6 months long tho, but still better than the alternative.

Uh my rf-82 home theater went with me in every single apartment I was in from Japan to San Diego. Granted I only had the rsw-10d (lol) but all you gotta do is be respectful to neighbors. And believe it or not sold all that stuff and moved to the full rf-63 7.1 setup with the dual svs ultras and had that in an apartment as well. Just met my neighbors and asked what time of day they were gone so I knew when I was safe to let loose. Hook that stuff back up and enjoy! I felt like being in the military earned me the right to be able to cut loose on my stuff once in a while and all my neighbors agreed. I never had a single complaint.

It's more of a room issue than a noise issue. The way the room is set up, I really don't have a good place to put surrounds. Only place would be on end tables on both sides of the couch, but I'm going to have a 2 year old running around, don't really want her messing with them. Also, no place to put the center channel unless I bought a TV riser, which is a possibility, but really, since I do have something as a surround setup I'm not that worried about it for now. I bet in a few months I'll get bored and change it out tho =^P If not, it's going to be brand new all over again in a year =^)

Sad is relative, really. Not that I don't feel anything for your case, but I felt pretty sad yesterday when I saw your thread and clicked on it, wondering if or why someone was feeling as sad as I was. I was sad because I had just learned that a good friend of mine died in a helicopter crash. So could be worse, right?

but I've been mostly researching car audio due to a new car purchase. I thought home audio was crazy to dig into...car audio is freakin insane!

I run Focal all the way around in my Dodge diesel, amazing speakers. They are crystal clear and will leave your ears ringing if you want to push them that hard. For lows I run two JL 10w3's under the back seat in a Fox box. I use Alpine amps for the highs and lows with an Alpine 7" screen and Alpine six disc dvd changer as well. I have not heard a cleaner sounding car/truck personally. Focal is very impressive. Hybrid Audio is also worth looking at. http://hybrid-audio.com/products/

I've looked at Focals, and have also heard good things. Might be a touch over my price range tho. I do see that they have lower lines, but I also keep reading about the tweeters being harsh. I might have to see if I can find a dealer to take a listen. I do appreciate the input =^)

I've looked at Focals, and have also heard good things. Might be a touch over my price range tho. I do see that they have lower lines, but I also keep reading about the tweeters being harsh. I might have to see if I can find a dealer to take a listen. I do appreciate the input =^)

Yes, we also keep reading that Klipsch is harsh, bright, honky and so on. Focal is at the top of the food chain when it comes to car audio. If you want something a little softer then Dynaudio is also amazing with a much softer tone using silk domes. I'm not sure how much you want to spend on your components but you can get a set of Focal Polyglass 6.5" for $350-$450 and they are awesome for the money.

• Moderators

I was sad because I had just learned that a good friend of mine died in a helicopter crash.

PSG, I'm truly sorry for your loss sir.

Of course things could always be worse, but this
being a home theater forum, I felt my post appropriate.

Yes, you are in good company. We knew what you meant and know where you are coming from.

Back in the day, JL Audio was always winning the competitions in Car Audio. Not sure if it was "audiophile" or if it was just insanely loud and clear. Maybe they are no longer at the top of the food chain.