Sad day...=^(

ivanhurd

Vital, I have been eyeballing those definitely, just not quite sure if I want to spend quite that much since I'm also looking for an amp and sub...We'll see tho. The ones I will probably end up getting are some JBL-MS62Cs that are getting great reviews and can be had for low to mid $200s.

Youthman, JL audio is still a good choice. I'm considering the 10TW3 because it's shallow mount and seems to be getting good reviews as well. The box for it is quite small, which is what I'm looking for. From what I've read, JL is on the expensive side for what you get and that there are some cheaper options that are just as good if not better.

I've looked at Focals, and have also heard good things. Might be a touch over my price range tho. I do see that they have lower lines, but I also keep reading about the tweeters being harsh. I might have to see if I can find a dealer to take a listen. I do appreciate the input =^)

Yes, we also keep reading that Klipsch is harsh, bright, honky and so on. Focal is at the top of the food chain when it comes to car audio. If you want something a little softer then Dynaudio is also amazing with a much softer tone using silk domes. I'm not sure how much you want to spend on your components but you can get a set of Focal Polyglass 6.5" for $350-$450 and they are awesome for the money.
dynaudio. One word, BUGATTI. If a 2.25 million dollar car comes with dynaudio then I'd say its prolly about the best out there. There set that's around 700-1000$ is absolutely stunning sounding.

That was of course before Rockford and mb quarts started sellin at best buy. Then of course all their quality went way downhill so they could make cheaper products worthy of best buys crappy shelves. And JL products are too pricey for competitions. Who the hell wants to throw 10x power handling for 80 hz burps to see how high of spl they can get. I'd rather do that to a 2-400 15 or 18" sub. I'm actually debating trying one of the SI subs I built in my car just to see what it will do. They are so fast and clean sounding in my basement

• Moderators

It seems that nobody in the competition scene that wants to be taken seriously use JLs any more. Kinda crazy. There are a bunch of littler companies that seem to be the top dogs at competitions these days.

I'm 38 now, so I have been waaaay far removed from car audio, I have no idea what is current.

Funny story, 2 years ago, we bought a Ford Expedition. For some reason, I began thinking back to the days when I had a system (albiet it wasn't super fancy. $400 Sony "Detatchable Face" as graduation present from my parents, a Rockford Fosgate Punch 45 (22.5 watts RMS but it slammed my (2) 12" Cadence subs. Yes Scrappy, "back in the day", Fosgate made some killer amps. So after we bought the expedition, I decided to upgrade the sound and installed a new head unit, upgraded the generic "stealth box" that was hidden behind the side panel in the rear with a Stealthbox and added a Memphis 10" sub and an older 5ch Kicker 500.5 and Polk Audio Coaxial in front and rear doors. It's clean, has a good amount of bass for a 10" sub but definitely won't be winning anything. LOL

Lol I had a buddy with I'm guessing that same amp. I remember it only being like 50 watts. And it beat the heck out of two JL 12's in his late 80's Cadillac and like an 8 cuft box lol. It was crazy loud. Yeah Steve meads is something else. I'm sure he has fantastic hearing.

Actually, the separates I was thinking of wasn't Jl, it was MB Quart.

When Maxxsonics USA, Inc bought out MB Quart, they moved all manufacturing to China and the brand went out the window. Back in the early 90's MB Quarts were awesome speakers.

Yes, I graduated in 93.

Yup, I graduated in '92. When I started looking into car audio again after a long hiatus in the mid 2000's or so, I was shocked that MB Quart had been bought and butchered and were no longer making killer speakers. Kind of like you, my last memories were of them being the best out there.