Youthman is Streaming!

Youthman

• Moderators

Several months ago I purchased an AppleTV for the home theater and yesterday my Apple Airport Express arrived. Now I can stream music, Pandora, Youtube, and anything else directly from my iPhone or IPad. My kids can even stream from their iTouch.

I posted my excitement in the 2ch section but wanted to share with my HT friends as well since this is awesome even for the HT.

Airport Express came in yesterday. I just finished installing and setting it up in the living room. Honestly, I'm smiling ear to ear. With the airport express, I have it connected to my wireless network. A single power cord and a 3.5mm to RCA connects it to my 2ch setup. Right now, I'm at my computer in the office streaming music from my iPhone into the living room! I can now change songs, adjust volume all from my iPhone or iPad. I'm still just thrilled at how well Apple products work. It took me a LONG time to give Apple a chance. Now I'm wondering why I waited so long. So far, with my iPad, iPhone, AppleTV and now Airport Express, they just work and they play VERY well with each other.

I'm excited that I now can create demo playlists in iTunes and be able to stream those playlists from anywhere in my house to the Living Room. I'm seriously like a kid at Christmas. I guess us big boys never really grow out of playing with big boy toys.

Youtube videos even sound amazing through my 2ch setup. I cannot say enough about the AirPlay feature.

Just wanted to share my SUPER EXCITEMENT with everyone. I know there are other streaming products that are non-apple...regardless of what system you go with, get one. IMO, this just took the "Cool Factor" of my system up SEVERAL notches!

Streaming and controlling from anywhere is great, enjoy. I been using Android, to control my sets, play music/video from tab, phone and all PCs on my network for a few years, very handy.It's nice to just sit back and choose media, touch a button. With chromecast HDMI plugged in you can also use your phone, tablet to choose, watch and control Netflix, YouTube.

IMO, this just took the "Cool Factor" of my system up SEVERAL notches!

It is a nice feature to have and now you wonder how you got along without this convience. It reminds me of when people say I don't need certain things when buying an avr or BDP. You never know until you experience something first hand. Thanks for sharing Youthman: most of the time on the forum we are talking about what we are trying to accomplis and not about the enjoyment of our systems.

• Moderators

If you have an AppleTV and Airport Express or Airport Extreme for the most part do the same thing only the AppleTV adds video streaming. If you have the AppleTV already, when you open music, youtube etc on your iPad, iPhone or iTough, you will see the AirPlay icon (see below).

airplay_icon.png

When you click on the icon, you will be prompted to connect with your AppleTV. You can either clone your exact screen or just show the media content on your display.

Here is a screenshot from this morning after I click the AirPlay icon, I have the option of choosing Theater Room or Living Room. The AppleTV is in the HT and the Airport Express is in the Living Room 2ch setup (since I don't have a TV in there).

post-27215-1381986021845_thumb.png

If you have an AppleTV and Airport Express or Airport Extreme for the most part do the same thing only the AppleTV adds video streaming. If you have the AppleTV already, when you open music, youtube etc on your iPad, iPhone or iTough, you will see the AirPlay icon (see below).

airplay_icon.png

When you click on the icon, you will be prompted to connect with your AppleTV. You can either clone your exact screen or just show the media content on your display.

Here is a screenshot from this morning after I click the AirPlay icon, I have the option of choosing Theater Room or Living Room. The AppleTV is in the HT and the Airport Express is in the Living Room 2ch setup (since I don't have a TV in there).

Very cool! I need this for my living room!

Michael,

Glad to hear everything is working out splendidly in your streaming capabilities. The Apple TV/Airport Express products seem to be the way to go.

I too have ventured into a bit of streaming as of late, maybe in a little more primitive form. I started ripping CD's to my desktop PC and syncing them to my Samsung Galaxy S2 and then using AllShare to stream to my Samsung SMART TV. It looks like AllShare will only read ripped CD's in MP3 form, at least with my application. Can someone on this great forum confirm or deny that for me before I proceed further?

Michael, sorry to hijack thread but as usual, your threads get a ton of traffic.[:$][:D]

Bill

Streaming and controlling from anywhere is great, enjoy. I been using Android, to control my sets, play music/video from tab, phone and all PCs on my network for a few years, very handy.It's nice to just sit back and choose media, touch a button. With chromecast HDMI plugged in you can also use your phone, tablet to choose, watch and control Netflix, YouTube.

Tell me more. I read about Google Chromecast, how well does it work?

What else do you use for streaming?

I have been looking for a relaible pc type system for a while.

Thanks.

Bill I think you are right about All share. It works great but, you are limited to mp3's for music.

Yeah, I tried WAV, WMA, WMA lossless, all with no luck. But, I do rip CD's to MP3 @ 192kHz and stream from my PC with Samsung Link(formerly AllShare) to my Samsung SMART TV and send it optical to my Cambridge Audio 840C and use it's internal DAC's and upsample it to 24 bit/384kHz and on to my NAD pre/pro. Sounds pretty darn good to me. I am sure lossless files would have better sound quality but the Cambridge Audio DAC's and DSP upsampling really do wonders with the lowley MP3.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

You should at least rip at 320. My 4311 has airplay

I would but the Cambridge Audio 840C is only 192kHz bitstream compatible even though it's DSP's upsample to 384khz.

Bill

Whoa, whoa, whoa there! <sound of needle being ripped off the record>. I think you are getting sampling rate mixed up with bitrate.

The DAC in your Cambridge Audio 840C (which is a very nice unit, BTW), is capable of 192khz/24bits. That is you can play a full, lossless file that was RECORDED at 192 thousand samples/second and using 24-bit per sample through that DAC. That is very high resolution.

This is not the same as bitrate, which is a compression thing and nothing to do with DACs. So, you can and SHOULD re-rip everything to at least 320kbps MP3, or perhaps full lossless, such as FLAC, as long as your playback device that is feeding the DAC in your 840C can handle FLAC.

For example, my Pioneer Elite N-50 has a DAC that supports 192khz/24-bit resolution and I have played FLAC files recorded at those resolutions through it and it sounds really good.

Tell me more. I read about Google Chromecast, how well does it work?

What else do you use for streaming?

I have been looking for a relaible pc type system for a while.

Thanks

Sorry for the very delayed response, just seen this thread come back up.The chromecast is just an hdmi dongle that cost $35,plug in connects easily to your network.Then you can stream netflix or youtube with great quality to whatever you plugged into.You can control from phone, tablet or pc.Currently you have to use the chrome browser to cast whats on screen of say ...your pc to cast anything(hulu etc....I'm sure there will soon be many things added to make the dongle do just about any streaming.

As to music....my avr has network capabilty.Plug straight into broadband cable or wifi adaptor and stream music you have on any tab, pc or phone.My avr has an app that is a remote control for it, use with phone or tablet.You can also stream an endless supply of internet content, Wolfgangs Vault, Pandora, vtuner etc...and control it all from phone or tablet or even pc using with chromcast. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onkyo.onkyoRemote&hl=en http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/#netflix

Now back to the regularly scheduled program [:D]

• 2 weeks later...