Resurfacing CDs, DVDs

Tarheel

I used the Skip Doctor on several problem disks. In my experience it worked on only CD-s with minimal damage. And I tried toothpaste too. And buffing wheels on a drill with compound. No joy on the damaged ones.

The Skip Doctor has a wheel which wears out and I bought another. With little real results after $30 x 2.

Then I bit the bullet for a ZDAG

http://www.amazon.com/Simotech-DSR-1-DVD-Repair-Machine/dp/B000GX31G6

The ZDAG is a step below the real professional one under discussion but a very big step above the Skip Doctor. It saved several CD's and DVDs. It is about the price of three Skip Doctors which don't do very much good on problem disks.

So if you have problems, I highly suggest ZDAG.

WMcD

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the link Gill. Just read the reviews and most were very positive. Not a bad price when you consider ten saved CDs or DVDs would pay for the resurfacing machine. Just forwarded your post and link to a friend.

I still volunteer at the library resurfacing discs so I polish up some of my own from time to time. Even if they are not scratched the cleaning/polishing keeps them sparkling.

Recently cleaned/resurfaced some disc that a friend owned that were damaged. He could not find replacements so I gave them a spin, One disc was gouged through to the label side so I'm pretty sure that one still skips but the rest cleaned up nicely.

Hi TarHeel,

Thanks for the helpful info. I've had mixed results in repairing scratched CDs with some of the systems available, but I've never had access to a professional machine. That seems to be the most complete solution for severely damaged discs.

Has anyone used the CD repair / polish from Mapleshade called Mikrosmooth? This might be a good solution for minor scratches, although they market it for undamaged discs also, to create a more uniform disc surface.

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MIKRO-SMOOTH

Also, I've wondered about Mapleshade's disc cleaner called Optrix. Anyone use that stuff?

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=OPTRIX

Thanks.

Hi TarHeel,

Thanks for the helpful info. I've had mixed results in repairing scratched CDs with some of the systems available, but I've never had access to a professional machine. That seems to be the most complete solution for severely damaged discs.

Has anyone used the CD repair / polish from Mapleshade called Mikrosmooth? This might be a good solution for minor scratches, although they market it for undamaged discs also, to create a more uniform disc surface.

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MIKRO-SMOOTH

Also, I've wondered about Mapleshade's disc cleaner called Optrix. Anyone use that stuff?

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=OPTRIX

Thanks.

Hi back derringmusik.

I don't have experience with either of those products though Mapleshade has released some other products that I have tried such as fine quality in house jazz and blues recordings.

Just read the ad for the Mapleshade disc polish....."like lifting a blanket from your speakers" come on Pierre you can do better than that :unsure:

If you have some discs that need work I will be happy to take them to the library here and give them my "special" treatment which includes double polishing.

Perhaps someone here has tried the two products you mentioned.

By the way thank you for researching the Victor Talking Machine that I own......very good information!

Edited by Tarheel
  • Like 1

I use to buy alot of CDs from Pawn Shops. And one shop in particular had the super machine you use at the library. In a conversation with the shop owner 3-4 years ago about his machine, he said they had vitually no returns and if a buyer brought one back in that would not play, they would just put it though their machine for them. Owner said he hardly ever could not bring one back to playable condition. Good investment for them.

I don't see many CDs in the Pawn Shops anymore. Lots of movies tho. Standard DVDs for a buck. Blu-rays for $3.50.

• Like 1

I use to buy alot of CDs from Pawn Shops. And one shop in particular had the super machine you use at the library. In a conversation with the shop owner 3-4 years ago about his machine, he said they had vitually no returns and if a buyer brought one back in that would not play, they would just put it though their machine for them. Owner said he hardly ever could not bring one back to playable condition. Good investment for them.

I don't see many CDs in the Pawn Shops anymore. Lots of movies tho. Standard DVDs for a buck. Blu-rays for $3.50.

Thanks Wrinkles and you prompted me to give a word of caution about Blu-ray discs. Do not attempt to resurface Blu-ray discs. You can polish but don't sand or it will be unplayable. CDs and DVDs okay.....just not Blu-ray!

Thanks for the link Gill. Just read the reviews and most were very positive. Not a bad price when you consider ten saved CDs or DVDs would pay for the resurfacing machine. Just forwarded your post and link to a friend.

I still volunteer at the library resurfacing discs so I polish up some of my own from time to time. Even if they are not scratched the cleaning/polishing keeps them sparkling.

Recently cleaned/resurfaced some disc that a friend owned that were damaged. He could not find replacements so I gave them a spin, One disc was gouged through to the label side so I'm pretty sure that one still skips but the rest cleaned up nicely.

that was worth a 12 pack of corona I bet

• Like 1

• 5 months later...