Caveat Emptor-Heresy

_RIGGED_

Those would work fine as surrounds and rears as the THX spec rolls off the high end anyway. Adding a tweeter to the crossover would make them work well as regular Heresy speakers, also fine for surrounds and rears.

Bruce

Yeah, THSR = Theater Heresy Surround... I recognized those as soon as I saw them. I own a pair of THSR-2's that I converted to 3way, though mine was a slightly easier project. On the 2's they used the same motorboard as the standard Heresy II but they covered the tweeter cut out with a piece of 1/4 inch ply. The thing that surprised me about yours is that they used a K53 and mounted it to the back of the motorboard like the K55? Honestly if I were you I might opt to build a mount for a tweeter to place on top, unless you are really good with a router? You would actually end up with more freedom to try out different tweeters that way? Whatever you decide I think you did alright price wise. Yeah, you could have gotten a better deal but if push came to shove you could easily part these out and make your money back and I'd call that good.

Yeah, THSR = Theater Heresy Surround... I recognized those as soon as I saw them. I own a pair of THSR-2's that I converted to 3way, though mine was a slightly easier project. On the 2's they used the same motorboard as the standard Heresy II but they covered the tweeter cut out with a piece of 1/4 inch ply. The thing that surprised me about yours is that they used a K53 and mounted it to the back of the motorboard like the K55? Honestly if I were you I might opt to build a mount for a tweeter to place on top, unless you are really good with a router? You would actually end up with more freedom to try out different tweeters that way? Whatever you decide I think you did alright price wise. Yeah, you could have gotten a better deal but if push came to shove you could easily part these out and make your money back and I'd call that good.

I'm still on the fence on what to do, should I gut and sell or should I shell out 100 bucks for a pair of tweeters. If I get the tweeters I'll go the router route, I just need to get some dimensions-anybody have a pair of Heresy I tweets for sale? If so, shoot me a PM.

I'm still kickin myself in the butt for selling a pair of near mint Heresy speakers 5 years ago-another lesson learned, never sell your Klipsch!

RIGGED

The good part is it looks like a standard E2 crossover, cut a slot and go get a set of tweeters to hook up internally. I can't remember if the E2 used the K-77 or not though. Definitely no scam though. 250 also isn't terrible for what you got.

Yeppers, I'm on the tweeter hunt now as we type. Heck, while they're not as purdy as my other Heresies, they'll serve their intended purpose-movie sound for the kids upstairs, Lord knows my wife would never allow those obsidian creatures in our living room.

RIGGED

The good part is it looks like a standard E2 crossover, cut a slot and go get a set of tweeters to hook up internally. I can't remember if the E2 used the K-77 or not though. Definitely no scam though. 250 also isn't terrible for what you got.

Yeppers, I'm on the tweeter hunt now as we type. Heck, while they're not as purdy as my other Heresies, they'll serve their intended purpose-movie sound for the kids upstairs, Lord knows my wife would never allow those obsidian creatures in our living room.

RIGGED

RIGGED

• 6 months later...

Just a lil update, I ended up bitin the bullet, and got me some Alnico K77 tweeters on Ebay.

All together, I have $350 in them, awe what the heck, they're serving their purpose, and most importantly, they're 3 way Heresies.

RIGGED

post-30562-0-99260000-1397523115_thumb.j

Edited by _RIGGED_
  • Like 1

$350 for the pair? You're complaining?

If I were you, I'd replace the capacitors with some good ones. I like film and foil.

You should look at moving the tweeter and squawker taps in the autoformer (compare Type C and Type E to your Type E2). If you can find a copy of TypeEModifiedR1, I'd emulate that, adjusting for differences caused by the K-53-K.

I don't have a copy of a Type E2, to offer more.

JA,

I replaced the caps right away, ended up using Sonicaps.

I ain't complaning, they are serving their intended purpose quite well, I'm just glad they turned out the way they did.

They ain't purdy but man do they sing!

Mustang,

Thanks dude.

RIGGED

Omg! those are sweet. I believe you live nearby Indiana. You go to sell please give me a hollar. Im down for some. Even if they were 2 way. 2 way heresys are a bit rare and i like the rare part. Regardless great work! They couldnt be better. If you do sell(to me at least lol) keep the price low lol. Cheers!

Omg! those are sweet. I believe you live nearby Indiana. You go to sell please give me a hollar. Im down for some. Even if they were 2 way. 2 way heresys are a bit rare and i like the rare part. Regardless great work! They couldnt be better. If you do sell(to me at least lol) keep the price low lol. Cheers!

Actually, I live in Texas, for about 40yrs now. They were rare, not anymore, now they're just like the rest of their kin. lol

No plans on sellin them, well, not anytime soon that is.

RIGGED