WTB: Amp for khorns under 1000$

alexg5775

Alex,

Are you looking for multichannel, stereo preamp/amp combo, or and integrated amp?

There are many quality choices of integrated amps(new and used) in the $1000.00 price range or less that would sound wonderful with Khorns.

Just a couple to mention:

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-nad-375bee-150-250-wpc-integratedamplifier-2013-09-15-amplifiers-19057

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-nad-c-356dac-c356dac-integrated-amp-with-built-in-dac-free-shipping-manufacturer-s-2013-08-23-integrateds-01060

Bill

I agree. I recently acquired Khorns and have been using an HH Scott 222D that is stock. I can't even imagine how it would sound after it has been re-capped and/or updated. From everything I have read about matching tubes and Khorns the consensus is that EL84 and EL34 push pull circuits sound very good, while the 300B, 845, and 2a3 single ended triode circuits sound amazing. I have seen integrated SET amps from Cary as well as the lauded Jeff Korneff or George Wright designs sell on other audio classified sites for between 1000 to 1500.

I really really do appreciate all the help and advice you guys are giving me.

To be honest i think i might be a little intimidated by these tube amps. I have never owned one, i dont know anyone that has owned one.

Quickly; i listen to a wide range of music including house/techno, hip hop, r&b, spanish, country and even throw parties at my house so i crank the speakers pretty often. Right now i am using a pair of marantz ma-700's with a pioneer receiver as pre and khorns sound good but the highs are harsh and bright when i crank them and i know i can do better SQ wise.

I know i have much research to do. I am very very interested in these tube amps. I know whatever amp will probably not be the last amp i purchase for the khorns but i do want to purchase the best i can within my budget. I have been looking at a B&K m-200 which is suppost to be very warm sounding like a tube. I would also love a mcintosh. I know its over kill, but i also really likes the reveiws for the adcom gfs-565 monos. Thoughts?

Honestly i am a little worried the tube amps wont give me the "sound" i am looking for. I do want and like the warm sound but i want the music to have power, detail, sound real, and a clean tight low end and able to play loud while staying clean with no harshness or shrill on high end while playing at high volumes. This is what i really want.

Thank you so much,

Alex

A couple of years ago I tried a little Topping T amp with my La Scalas and was blown away with the quality of the mid and upper sound, but it just didn't have any guts when it came to bass. They have come out with a 50WPC version which should fix this defect ( http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-326 ), maybe this would fit the bill? Certainly well under a grand and if you don't like it Parts Express will take it back.

If you are dead set on staying away from tubes, I'm a big fan of Classe for solid state. There is a Classe Seventy power amp on Audiogon for $500 and a DR-5 preamp for $600. While I have no experience with the DR-5, I have owned the Seventy. I never tried it with Khorns but it did sound fantastic with Cornwalls I once owned. There is also an Audio Research LS-3 for $625, which I have owned in the past. That is a great solid state preamp for not a whole lot of money. It is a former Stereophile Class A component for whatever that may be worth, but I can certainly recommend it if you want solid state.

I will say this though, tubes sound better to me (although not all tubes amps will be great). I too was hestitant and I guess you can say intimidated by tubes, but once I overcame that fear, I have never looked back. Give it a shot -- you won't likely regret it. As long as you buy well, you won't have trouble selling if you decide it's not for you.

Also remember that Khorns don't need much power. I once had a pair of 2A3 SET amps that put out 3.5 watts per channel. When I cranked it up, I could hear the music from out on the street with the doors and windows closed. Unless you are looking for "dance club" volume, that may be all the power you will need for most of your listening.

Honestly i am a little worried the tube amps wont give me the "sound" i am looking for. I do want and like the warm sound but i want the music to have power, detail, sound real, and a clean tight low end and able to play loud while staying clean with no harshness or shrill on high end while playing at high volumes. This is what i really want.

Thank you so much,

Alex

Look at the Super Baldwin amp I have listed for the things in the above statement!!!