KP-65-E / KP-66-E

CANT

Can anyone tell me if the horn that accompanies these units will actually go down to 700Hz? I know the drivers, eminence PSD-2002S-8 & PSD-2002S-16 respectively, don't really excel that low? I can't find a schematic for anything these are found in either? Thanks

I was referring to the KP-262 spec sheet attached to my thread above, where it shows a 700Hz crossover.

The spec sheet attached is for the 1990's vintage KP-262 manufactured under KLIPSCH PROFESSIONAL / WWR Technology.

The version on the current Klipsch web site is the 2000-2004 vintage KP-262 that may use a different driver, OR, there's a typo on either the current web site or the attached spec sheet.

It certainly makes sense that the crossover would be higher, but Klipsch engineers have been known to use drivers outside the spec range.

Maybe Trey or Michael Colter or Steve Philips can way in here with the real info.

Either way, the K-65 driver on the 604 horn is a real over-achiever.

How low a driver can go is largely a function of the horn, and how loud you need it to go.

Klipsch horns are designed to go quite low for their small mouth size, they are quite deep.

The drivers are typically attenuated 10dB in the networks, so loud isn't really an issue.

How low a driver can go is largely a function of the horn, and how loud you need it to go.

Klipsch horns are designed to go quite low for their small mouth size, they are quite deep.

The drivers are typically attenuated 10dB in the networks, so loud isn't really an issue.

I think you may have misunderstood my question. I was asking if the tractrix horn of the KP65 & KP66 was capable of crossing as low is it's exponential counterpart the K701. Because it appeared to be designed more to be a tractrix horn with a K701 mouth/mount than to be a tractrix that would go down to 700Hz I was skeptical. Adding to my skepticism was the fact that the stock Eminence drivers used in the 65 & 66 are generally only rated down to 1-1.2KHz. Since I don't have one to test I was hoping some one might be able to supply some data that either supported my assumption or the fact that the horn was capable of being used down to 700Hz. In a way I kind of got both? Both the driver and the horn have been used by Klipsch to achieve crossover points below 1K but I believe doing so is really stretching it...?

I ended up picking up a pair to check out for myself. They should be hear this week... only problem is I don't have any drivers... I was hoping I could find a K52H or at least the 1 3/8"-18 adapter for decent price but so far I haven't had any luck?

Edited by CANT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Well I never ended up receiving the adapter but I did happen upon an older pair of K55V's that I figured would be similar enough... Ideally the adapter would have provided a better A-B comparison of the horn but sometimes you work with what you've got...

On first impression this horn seems to roll the HF and LF off quite a bit faster than the K701 and it also doesn't have quite the projected output. Moving the tap up one put the output at about where it needed to be but there was a small null between where the squawker and tweeter were supposed to cross? If I had the adapter I think the slightly extended range of the K53K or even the K53Ti might help with this issue but I also speculate that the slightly reduced low end output of both of those motors might create an issue with the woofer/squawker crossover point? Over all it's not a bad sounding horn but to use it you would definitely have to adjust the crossover one way or the other....

After the Holidays, when I have more funds, I will revisit this.

Edited by CANT

• 1 month later...

FYI, I've edited my prior post since finding out that the driver I used to initially audition/test this horn was not up to spec... my current comments are based of subsequent audition/test with a fully functioning driver. Please excuse the original misinformation.

• 1 month later...