K-107 / Heresy III

CANT

I would need to see both boards from multiple angles to trace everything out to get the answer I am looking for... That picture did show me something interesting though. I was under the impression the 4 resistors found within the network were 3, 30, 50 & 1ohm? It looks like either the 30 or 50 is actually 20ohms. If you still have the network out and lying around would you be able to list the resistor values for me? Thank you for your help

Thank you. I combed Bobs thread before this post. It's actually what lead me to post this question.

To explain: A while back I asked around for a an HIII schematic to look over but was only to secure a CWIII. For what I wanted it for it was close enough given the shared components. After play around with the K107 I just got, I remembered Bob's comment about the HIII kit being a hair quieter than the HII. I know first hand that the K107 is in no way quieter than the K76 so re-reviewed his post and noticed the 3ohm. It was the only one of the 4 resistors in the circuit I could make out. The funny thing about that though is that the CWIII only has 3 resistors in it's circuit. Due to Bob's comment and the value and location of the 3 ohm resistor I deduced that it is probably a pad in the tweeter circuit. I basically made this post to see if I was right. The crazy thing your photo showed me is that one of the resistors in the mid circuit is a 20 ohm. Which is weird because if anything I would have expected the HIII values to be greater not less than the CWIII? At this point I have no real need for an HIII schem anymore but I am even more curious about it...

Thank you again for your help

If you figure out the Heresy III crossover schematic, please let me know as I'm in a similar situation (Heresy II, managed to get titanium diaphragms for the K53 squawkers, bought K28-E woofers and K-792-Ti tweeters - sounds decent now, but I'm sure it would be better with a properly designed crossover network).

Thanks!

-D

p.s. Is it just me, or do the closeups of the HIII crossover indicate that they do NOT use an autotransformer?

If you figure out the Heresy III crossover schematic, please let me know as I'm in a similar situation (Heresy II, managed to get titanium diaphragms for the K53 squawkers, bought K28-E woofers and K-792-Ti tweeters - sounds decent now, but I'm sure it would be better with a properly designed crossover network).

Thanks!

-D

p.s. Is it just me, or do the closeups of the HIII crossover indicate that they do NOT use an autotransformer?

No, the HIII does not use an autoformer... It uses a series of resistors to pad down the squawker and tweeter. Also, none of the HIII components can be used with a stock HII crossover properly. The K28 is 4 ohms not 8 like the K22/K24, the Ti diaphragm in the K53 doesn't drop off at 6K like the phenolic so a band pass is required and the K107/K792 has at least 3db more output than the K76. The result of using a stock HII network with these components would leave you with heavily reduced response between 400ish and 700ish Hz and you would have a pretty good spike after 6KHz... I have the K28 and K792 as well but decided not to bother with the K53Ti because it seemed to create more problems than it solved and I wanted to keep my build simple. I'm still not even totally sold on the K107/K792 either? I love the Ti diaphragm but the tractix horn isn't really so much better as different and the larger motor means it has to be padded down to match the other components. If you or any one else wanted to use those 3 components with out the stock HIII network I would say a variation of the ALK Universal is your best bet. It would give you the bandpass needed for the K53Ti, a better teeter circuit than stock and is easily built/bought/modified.

I'm really surprised Bob hasn't drawn one up..I'd actually be shocked if he didn't given what he does and the fact that he owns one.

If I were him I would have... but if he has I get the impression he doesn't want to share right now... maybe for legal reasons? When I asked originally the most common answer I got was something to the tune of "Klipsch doesn't share schematics of models currently in production".

No, the HIII does not use an autoformer... It uses a series of resistors to pad down the squawker and tweeter. Also, none of the HIII components can be used with a stock HII crossover properly. The K28 is 4 ohms not 8 like the K22/K24, the Ti diaphragm in the K53 doesn't drop off at 6K like the phenolic so a band pass is required and the K107/K792 has at least 3db more output than the K76. The result of using a stock HII network with these components would leave you with heavily reduced response between 400ish and 700ish Hz and you would have a pretty good spike after 6KHz... I have the K28 and K792 as well but decided not to bother with the K53Ti because it seemed to create more problems than it solved and I wanted to keep my build simple. I'm still not even totally sold on the K107/K792 either? I love the Ti diaphragm but the tractix horn isn't really so much better as different and the larger motor means it has to be padded down to match the other components. If you or any one else wanted to use those 3 components with out the stock HIII network I would say a variation of the ALK Universal is your best bet. It would give you the bandpass needed for the K53Ti, a better teeter circuit than stock and is easily built/bought/modified.

Well - I can't afford the ALK Universal as it is $650 (heck, the Cornscala-Wall, which is probably more appropriate) is still $340. However, if someone has the schematic for either, I'm happy to build it myself.

-D

Well - I can't afford the ALK Universal as it is $650 (heck, the Cornscala-Wall, which is probably more appropriate) is still $340. However, if someone has the schematic for either, I'm happy to build it myself.

You could get a whole Heresy III upgrade kit for $300. You'd get the crossover, the new tweeter (with horn) and squawker with titanium diaphragms, and maybe the K-28 woofer as well. Am I missing something about this project?

$300 per speaker, yes. It's actually a pretty good deal if you are looking to do the whole conversion at once. A lot of people don't set out to do the whole thing at once though... They might pick up a piece here and a piece there via eBay or craigslist or forum sales. I know I didn't set out to do an HIII conversion but end up with most of the pieces via the means I stated?

$300 per speaker, yes. It's actually a pretty good deal if you are looking to do the whole conversion at once. A lot of people don't set out to do the whole thing at once though... They might pick up a piece here and a piece there via eBay or craigslist or forum sales. I know I didn't set out to do an HIII conversion but end up with most of the pieces via the means I stated?

Yeah, that's how I ended up acquiring all my HIII pieces. Great minds thing alike, huh? [;)]

It should also be noted that the ALK networks are made out of substantially better components... Unless you build it yourself out of inferior pieces?

If I go this route, I'll use similar components to Al K. (maybe different caps, and T2A autoformers instead of the UTC 3619, but the same value and type of inductors). DIY will save me around $150 (and ease the strain on my marriage).

-D

This does raise a question for me: what's the difference between the K107 tweeter and the K792 w/ titanium diaphragm (if any)? They look extremely similar in magnet size / shape and the horn appears to have an identical Tractrix flare. Is the difference strictly that the original diaphragm in the K792 is treated fabric (or whatever they used) or do they have significantly different specs?

-D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...