K-107 / Heresy III

CANT

I would like to note and this seems as good a place as any, that I definitively did not prefer the "tractix" horn of the K792/K107 over the stock exponential K76 in my Heresy's with ALKjr crossovers. I mentioned my crossover because I believe my preference is directly tied to the design I am currently using. I came to this conclusion after playing around with my mono CWIII, in which, I definitely prefer the K792/K107 horn. Since both networks use only slightly different 3rd order high pass circuits I am wondering if the issue I notice has something to do with how the squawker is terminated? When I have more time I would like to try switching out my 1st order mid low pass for a 2nd order mid low pass to see if that helps...?

For now I would not suggest using the K792/K107 unless you have a III series, KP series or appropriately comparable crossover.

The ALKjr/Super AA has a crossover point almost a full octave below the Fc of the K-700. The model numbers may have changed down the road, but they were always 700Hz horns. I can't for the life of me figure out why you would pick that crossover for a Heresy. I worked with Al on that filter as an alternative to the Type AA used in the Klipschorn, LaScala, and Belle Klipsch. Weren't you aware of this?

How did you attenuate the tweeters?

Wrong crossover for the job, really.

Edited by DeanG

Maybe we are talking about 2 different crossovers? Attached is the schematic I found for what was referred to as the ALKjr...

I'm using the K28E so I went with a 1.3mH instead of the stated 2.5mH but if I were still using the stock K22's the 2.5mh should have been fine? Now the 40uF on the K53K is definitely a bit large (which could be what you are talking about) but the K53K has such a steep natural drop off using the 40uF wouldn't really so much change the crossover point as leave it somewhat ill protect from lower frequencies? In any case I used a smaller value.

I really don't know why the K107/K792's doesn't like my Heresy's? All I know is this:

HX + K76 = fine/great

HX + K107/K792 = sibilant

CWIII (w/K53K) + K107/K792 = fine/great

CWIII (w/K53K) + K79 = a little too forward sounding

Oh, I believe you also asked about padding? I tried a few different options but in the end the easiest was to just use the K76 motor on the on the K107/K792 horn...

post-55655-0-33220000-1386730024_thumb.j

Maybe we are talking about 2 different crossovers? Attached is the schematic I found for what was referred to as the ALKjr...

I'm using the K28E so I went with a 1.3mH instead of the stated 2.5mH but if I were still using the stock K22's the 2.5mh should have been fine? Now the 40uF on the K53K is definitely a bit large (which could be what you are talking about) but the K53K has such a steep natural drop off using the 40uF wouldn't really so much change the crossover point as leave it somewhat ill protect from lower frequencies? In any case I used a smaller value.

I really don't know why the K107/K792's doesn't like my Heresy's? All I know is this:

HX + K76 = fine/great

HX + K107/K792 = sibilant

CWIII (w/K53K) + K107/K792 = fine/great

CWIII (w/K53K) + K79 = a little too forward sounding

Oh, I believe you also asked about padding? I tried a few different options but in the end the easiest was to just use the K76 motor on the on the K107/K792 horn...

I'm gonna have to agree with the assessment that you have the totally wrong crossover for the Heresy III clone. The crossover I used (which sounds fantastic with the K792Ti, IMHO) is the Cornscala-Wall crossover with a couple of tweaks per the advice of Al K.:

11329121295_fed8a51a3c_b.jpg

Note: hook-up for the squawker to the autoformer should be 0 (+) and 2 (-) to give the proper -9dB padding for the K53Ti.

Partslist is as follows:

Quantity Item

1 .62 mHy inductor wound of AWG #14 solid ($17.78) (x2) solen.ca

1 .30 mHy inductor wound of AWG #16 Litz wire $9.72 (x2) solen.ca

1 .20 mHy inductor wound of AWG #16 Litz wire $8.03 (x2) solen.ca

1 33uF. +-5% Jantzen Crosscap $13.96 (x2) parts-express

1 7.5uF. +-5% Solen "Fast cap" $4.19 (x2) solen.ca

2 2.2uF. +-5% Jantzen Crosscap $2.30 (x2) parts-express

1 10R 10W wirewound resistor (W23-10RJI) $1.77 (x2) mouser

1 Klipsch T2A Auto-transformer from type AA network (or Universal Transformer #3619)

Hope this helps!

-D

Edited by Donkeyshins

I wasn't attempting an HIII clone per se... just trying out parts I had available with a crossover I already had in place?

I will be looking at other crossover orientations in the future to see if they like the K107/792 better though?

Oddly enough, I did have several people say that the Cornscalla-wall would be good option for the Heresy but 33uF is still a little too large for the K53K and .62mH seems too small for the 4ohm K28? I need to look at the response pattern though...

I wasn't attempting an HIII clone per se... just trying out parts I had available with a crossover I already had in place?

I will be looking at other crossover orientations in the future to see if they like the K107/792 better though?

Oddly enough, I did have several people say that the Cornscalla-wall would be good option for the Heresy but 33uF is still a little too large for the K53K and .62mH seems too small for the 4ohm K28? I need to look at the response pattern though...

These values were supplied to be my Al K based upon some modeling he did based upon the K28 / K53Ti / K107 combo. Not sure if the K53Ti is able to go lower or not (it certainly can go higher, which is why a bandpass is necessary at the squawker / tweeter crossover).

-D

Edited by Donkeyshins

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 5 months later...