LSI Face lift

kg4guy

kg4guy

great looking work.

what drivers were in the cabs before returning them to stock?

I think the volti style grill cloth would really set them off. very nice look.

I have Bob's K-5 'mid drivers with square magnet K-77's and K-43's I may get some of Bob's cast woofers but as I understand you have to grind the sides down. I should have another roll of grill cloth tomorrow so I'll make bottom grills.

What a great way to hide the braces. Of course, if you used thicker material on the sides when you build them like the new Lascalas, you wouldn't need the braces.

Yes had I not already installed the braces the outsides would be 1 1/4" thick so they wouldn't be needed however there is no flex in the sides now.[:)]

Even at 1.25 inchesI think that the mouth would flex and the braces provide integrity to the doghouse walls as well. Well worth the effort no matter what the wall thickness/version. Best regards Moray James.

Thanks for the response I wasn't sure about that or not. I'm going to make grills this Tues or Wed. so I'll post photo's of them when they are done.

Even at 1.25 inchesI think that the mouth would flex and the braces provide integrity to the doghouse walls as well. Well worth the effort no matter what the wall thickness/version. Best regards Moray James.

Since the only unsupported edge of the side panels is the front, the logical shape for a stiffener/support would be right across the front, like those cross-struts some performance or race cars use to stiffen their frames. It could be fairly slim, sort of like a wing, so it would have a small cross-section, to minimize any change in the horn mouth size.

Those aluminum edge protectors that LSIs use could also help. I wonder if anyone has compared the bass response of an LSI cab with and without the protectors?

In any case, if the wall were 1.25 inches thick, flex in any significant amounts would be extremely unlikely.