LSI Face lift

kg4guy

I've not measured, but owning both- LSI-BG is tighter bass. It's the density and strength of the fibreglass mat added to the L aluminum channel - really stiffens the side walls of the horn. You can feel the difference in the vibration of the cabinet. Less vibration = more bass propelled forward.

I've not measured, but owning both- LSI-BG is tighter bass. It's the density and strength of the fibreglass mat added to the L aluminum channel - really stiffens the side walls of the horn. You can feel the difference in the vibration of the cabinet. Less vibration = more bass propelled forward.

I agree the aluminum siding helps the fiberglass maybe a little it came off in sheets very easy after running a router around the outside edges and was very thin.

Seeing those two lascalas next to one another is telling. Very attractive.

I love them both I like the classic look of the older school La scala's and the grills on the newer model I'm not sure who started the bottom grills I guess the Belle's sparked the idea with someone but I like it and thanks to the person that took it to that level .

I agree. The LS2 definitely has stronger and deeper bass than the regular LS (LS1?). Many people seem to think that the flexion of La Scala cabinet sidewalls causes an audible resonance, but I've never been able to hear it. Also, a resonance occurs over a certain (often narrow) frequency range, but the stiffer sidewalls of the LS2 seem to improve the bass output over a wide range. I would think it's similar to what you're hearing with the LSI-BG.

"Less vibration = more bass propelled forward" is a pretty clear and concise way of explaining it.

On the other hand, the narrow bass peak at 148 Hz on all LS bass horns, 1 or 2, is caused by the shape of the horn, and is not "the sound of the resonance", as some people think. The LS2 has no (or very minimal) resonance, and yet Roy's Dx38 settings are exactly the same for LS1 and LS2 cabinets.

The two issues often get confused, so it's good to see that at least some La Scala owners see and hear what's really happening with the LS bass horns.

• 4 weeks later...