Ceiling Speakers and Mounting

loveitloud

Hi all,

I am currently building a new home and have the chance to put in a few Klipsch ceiling speakers in for my rear channels. My main concern is how to install them? I am wondering if I will need to buy a mounting solution after spending the money on the actual speakers or if the mounting materials come with the speakers? Can I get any feedback on the best solutions? It would also be helpful to here from others in regards to which speakers to choose. The living room that these will go into is an open room that flows into the kitchen which makes it a fairly large room.

Thank you in advance for any and all replies.

Sincerely,

-LoveItLoud

Simple, obtain the speaker dimensions or installation literature (downloaded from the manufacturers' website, most places offer this information), and have your carpenter (assuming typical wood framed construction) install wood blocking (secondary framing) at the proposed speaker locations. The speaker dimensions or literature will dictate spacing between the blocking. The main blocking or support pieces should be securely connected (I would recommend using SIMPSON Connection Plates or Hangers, available at most Hardware Stores, as opposed to toe nailing) to and between adjacent ceiling joists or truss bottom chords, whichever the case maybe. If the room is below an elevated floor (as in multi-story construction), then the blocking will be installed between adjacent floor joists.

Beware, if speakers are being installed directly below an upper floor, be extra sure the blocking and speakers are firmly connected. Heavy foot traffic or kids bouncing up and down on the floor above will test both your carpenters framing skills and manufacturers mounting hardware.

Good luck!!

• 1 month later...

LoveItLoud,

I put 4 Klipsch CDT5800 ceiling speakers in my family room. 2 for side surrounds and 2 for rear surrounds. I had to move and add onto the wires the electrician had put in the attic but it was a fun project. I chose in ceiling for WAF. I know side surrounds on the wall and bookshelfs in the rear would probably be better but there would have been a lot more work getting wires in the walls etc.. and the end result a low WAF. Anyway putting the speakers in the ceiling was the easy part. Cut a hole with drywall saw and then the speakers pop right in and have little wings that fold out as you tighten the screws. In your case with building a new house maybe put wires in for both ceiling and wall speakers then you can make up your mind later. I have found that as long as the wires are hidden you can get a nice clean set up with WAF approval. And wire is relatively cheap(and easy) to put in before the drywall goes up.

Eric