?? Normal Forte 1 impedance ??

marems

Take a look at the old HIGH FIDELITY review if you can get online, to see what they say. It may depend on how it is measured. Speaker makers then were drawn to saying "8 Ohm," because that's the only tap most solid state amps had. HIGH FIDELITY gave the Forte (1) an almost ideal review.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/41244/379627.aspx#379627

At low volumes a speaker always plays loudest on the 8 and 16 ohm taps. As you turn up the volume and 'thump' it a bit you will find the speaker sounds the best on the tap that closest matches its impedance, and plays the loudest too.

Always try the 4 ohm tap. Leave it on whatever sounds the best.

Hint: it sounds 'thin' when you turn it up if you have it hooked to too high of a tap.

I don't know about the Forte (1). I expect it will be something like the Quartet.

As you can see, there is a wide varience in the impedance and so putting a single number on it is going to be impossible. Generally it is the low impedance which causes issues with an amp. Therefore I'd recommend the 4 ohm tap (note the impedance of the Quartet goes below 4 ohms). It seems to me this will minimize the inherent noise output of the amp.

WMcD

post-2552-1381986064319_thumb.jpg

Stereo Review Chorus review, page 2, 1988. The Chorus, Forte, and Quartet are similar in many ways: Impedance swings from 4 to 70 ohms. Cool reading, but as for the practical advice, I'm with Dennis and Gil on this one.

It looks like they really TESTED the speakers back then. I wonder how many speakers failed with a cloud of smoke during those high power tests?

It looks like they really TESTED the speakers back then. I wonder how many speakers failed with a cloud of smoke during those high power tests?

I don't recall smoke being reported in a magazine test, but Klipsch tested about 5 in a shoot out with a Belle Klipsch, and I believe one failed outright at an SPL below the Belle's max SPL (but higher wattage, naturally). The others (other than the Belle) exceeded acceptable distortion levels before they reached that SPL.

IMO, Atkinson still actually tests, but I miss a distortion level I can understand being reported (due to a lack of standardization by the industry of this measurement?).

Some earlier Forte 1's came with round input terminals were labeled 4 ohm later ones had rectangular cups and read 8 ohm.

I have one of each. They are constructed slightly different and sound different too.

The k23 woofer is a 4 ohm driver. 3.6 ohm dcr.

I must use my HK citation 24 on 4 ohm. It will run hot if is set for 8 ohm.

What is the difference that you noticed between the two?? 8 ohm vs the 4 ohm forte?

The cabinet with the 8 ohm label has full length corner braces top to bottom. the other has only a small one's in the middle.

I think the 8 ohm cab has a mdf front baffle the 4 ohm cab's baffle is plywood.

also the bolt circle patterns that holds the woofer and PR in place are drilled starting at the 12:00 position in 8 ohm cab.on the 4 ohm cab the PR drilling starts at 22.5 degrees from top center. The when i bought them new all those years ago I only cared that they were loud. Sounded pretty good too. Ended up blowing a woofer before leaving Germany. when i got the warranty work done the audio shop told me that they sounded different and it was odd that i got speakers made so far apart. as for the sound being different it is hard to put my finger on it. I think they both sound good in their own way. I cant make up my mind on which one I like the best. Right now they are waiting for upgrade crossovers and soon I will add bracing and perhaps other mods too. first I am trying the mods out on some Tangent 400's. The 400's image better than the forte's IMO. I loaded those cabs with all forte components so they are pretty much a ported forte. The tangent cab is larger by a little so maybe I can get a little more bass from them as compared to the forte or maybe not. A passive radiator might tune lower than ports.

I might add that I have heard that the forte's with the round input terminal cup(4 ohm) sounds smother because the crossover is point to point wiring. The 8 ohm rectangular cup has the crossover built on a printed circuit. But now I think the different baffle material would cause more acoustical differences than how the crossover was wired.