KP 250 II help

snailtrax

I bought a pair of KP 250 II. They both have blown or missing mid and tweeter diaphragms. Woofers are good. I did not get the original drivers for the mids along with the purchase. The ones I got have a sticker that says K128014 and are 16 ohm. Appear to be the wrong drivers, I need K 53 K according to Klipsch. Which horn do I need to work correctly in the KP 250 II. I will be looking to purchase both the K 53 K drivers and the correct horn lenses when I get this sorted out. Bill

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hammond, La. Yeah, first it was one tweeter then two. When I got there it was the mids too, He said he had the correct mids, but looks like he was wrong. Had a headlight bulb in there for a resistor too. Lucky it didn't catch fire. Like I said, price was good. These will clean up nice. Just got to get the correct mids and horn lenses and some fresh Duratex.

post a couple photos please, the light bulb sounds like something found in Peavey crossovers. I can help you sort if out if Tech Support isn't of help. First before shopping, let's make sure it's blown diaphragms or wrong drivers. Sometimes it's something simple like a connection at the crossover.

See the SEARCH field up above? Use it and enter KP250 or KP201 for threads with a lot of info about these speakers. The II model should be pretty identical to the original with the exception of the KP792 TRACTRIX horn tweeter, and the input jack is likely a Neutrik socket instead of a locking 1/4". They would both have the 5-way banana binding posts and fuse holders.

Michael

They have the Neutrik socket. The light bulb is definately not factory. It is a foglight bulb and rigged in series with the mid on one speaker. The diaphragms are missing in two of the drivers, one mid and one tweeter. The other two are definately blown, the voice coil is obviously burned on one and the surround and voice coil is burned on the mid. I was told by Klipsch parts that I am supposed to have K 53 K mids and K 79 K tweeters. I have K128014 mids and K792K tweeters. I want them to function correctly. As far as I can tell, I need two K 53 K drivers and diaphragms and the correct horn lenses to match the KP250 II's. Also need a pair of correct diaphragms for the K792's if that is what is supposed to be in there. If not I will need a complete pair of K 79 K's. I will be away for a couple hours. Bill

many times that K number is a manufacturer's part number on a genuine Klipsch part. Let's not jump to conclusions. GOt photos??? The ones that are being suggested to you are not OEM parts but titanium diaphrams. Some like them better some don't care for them, but they are not original. K79 and K792 share the same magnet structure and diaphragm, the only thing that changes is the horn (the plastic part). On the 792 it's TRACTRIX, you can see that it's several different types of curves put together. The 79 has straight walls. Either will work but the KP250II to be proper should have the KP792.

Are you seeing that K number on a white sticker on the edge of the midrange magnet? DON"T PANIC - that's very likely a Klipsch driver, look on the BACK of the magnet for a very lightly inked marking that says K53k or similar. THe white sticker is the manufacturers part number. SLOW DOWN these guys will have you buying all kinds of stuff that you probably don't need. Diaphragm replacment is very simple to do.