I got a new toy......

Scrappydue

I looked at the back of the Sherbourn PA7-350 unit, and the power requirement is 4,000 watts. I'm not sure what to make of that. That is 33 amps!

edit: This amp has a 3.3kVa transformer. That's a biggie!

yeah my electrician buddie about dumped his pants when I told him that part. But I told him I would have to have some 82 db full range 4 ohm speakers and want to play movies at like 10 over reference to ever use that kind of power. Lol.

Don't worry cecca! I won't let you down. It's gonna get its own 20 amp straight from the box. Coming soon. My buddy cancelled on me. Prolly best I leave my xpa-2/5 hooked up right now so I can demo and sell them.

Both good ideas.

The first thing I did when I re-did my living room was run a 20 amp circuit. I run all my amps (except the Behringer for my IB) TV, and sources from it.

BTW, that's a great looking amp at an awesome price. Good score!

That looks like one heavy-duty unit. I just looked at a review on it that even suggests running it on 220V for best effect. That seems a bit extreme.

220V as in European power? That is not the same as our 240V. You should not attempt to connect this to a 240V outlet without substantially changing the electronics inside the amp unless the operating instructions tell you to do so. Euro 220V is single phase, and US 240V is two phase. I doubt the amp has a 4 prong outlet necessary for 240V.

There should be a switch in back of the power supply to switch back and fourth from 110v to 220v.

Yes, that is to switch from USA power (120/240-60Hz) to Euro power (220/50Hz). Not the same thing as a 240 volt clothes dryer outlet. In a 240 receptacle, two of the spades are 120V legs. In Euro power, one leg is 220V to ground. I'm pretty sure you can't simply twist two 120V hot wires together to make 240V and be in electrical code compliance. I am not a licensed electrician, but common sense tells me you don't want to. For that reason, you would need to do voltage conversion via transformer to step the 120V up to 220, which would be silly in this situation. In this situation, if you need a higher (20A) amp receptacle, run large enough wire and install a large enough breaker to install the higher amp receptacle.

I never mentioned 240 volts

Nor twisting wires together

You dont need any transformer.

If the amp can draw more than 20 amps its not silly to step up to 220 volts because you would never get the full potential of the amplifier otherwise but i can see with a rental unit not to go that route.

What you use is a 220 volt breaker witch takes up 2 spots in your main breaker panel and the correct guage wire.

There is a 3 or 4 prong option for the 30 amp socket or a 4 prong 50 amp plug witch you would need to run 8 guage wire to.

Just to clarify.... The power coming into your house in the U.S. is single phase nominally 230 volts. It comes from a power transformer that has a center tap. We call the line from the center tap "neutral" At a single point in or near your house this neutral line is grounded. We call the two lines from the ends of the transformer "hot". If you measure the voltage from neutral to either of the "hot" lines you read 115 volts nominal. But across both hots you read 230 volts. If you look at the hots with respect to neutral on an oscilloscope they will be 180 degrees out of phase. But across both hots (the ends of the transformer windings) you will observe a single phase. This amplifier is set up to run off this single phase 230 volt power if you are REALLY going to push it to its limits.

7 channels x 550Watts@4 ohms = 3850Watts output power. If it is 75% effecient (this is a quess I don't know if they spec the effeciency) the input power required = 5133 Watts!

5133 Watts/115 volts = 44.6 Amps! but @230 volts

5133 Watts/230 volts = 22.3 Amps ahhh much better.

babadono

Just to clarify.... The power coming into your house in the U.S. is single phase nominally 230 volts. It comes from a power transformer that has a center tap. We call the line from the center tap "neutral" At a single point in or near your house this neutral line is grounded. We call the two lines from the ends of the transformer "hot". If you measure the voltage from neutral to either of the "hot" lines you read 115 volts nominal. But across both hots you read 230 volts. If you look at the hots with respect to neutral on an oscilloscope they will be 180 degrees out of phase. But across both hots (the ends of the transformer windings) you will observe a single phase. This amplifier is set up to run off this single phase 230 volt power if you are REALLY going to push it to its limits.

7 channels x 550Watts@4 ohms = 3850Watts output power. If it is 75% effecient (this is a quess I don't know if they spec the effeciency) the input power required = 5133 Watts!

5133 Watts/115 volts = 44.6 Amps! but @230 volts

5133 Watts/230 volts = 22.3 Amps ahhh much better.

babadono

Correct.

110,115,120 volts are all used to describe voltages used in the home here in the U.S.

110 is just the term us older folks grew up using.

Well the new dedicated line is ran. Cost me a total of 32$ in parts and wire and a number 13 breakfast combo from sonic for my buddy who helped me do it. Now I gotta build either a extension cord or a longer power cable for the amp. We put the outlet in a place where it looked like it belonged rather than concur many for placement since this isn't my house. So I'm thinking just a short 6 foot extension cable will be fine and allow for me to make sure power cable is routed completely away from rca's!

That looks like one heavy-duty unit. I just looked at a review on it that even suggests running it on 220V for best effect. That seems a bit extreme.

220V as in European power? That is not the same as our 240V. You should not attempt to connect this to a 240V outlet without substantially changing the electronics inside the amp unless the operating instructions tell you to do so. Euro 220V is single phase, and US 240V is two phase. I doubt the amp has a 4 prong outlet necessary for 240V.

That makes sense. I think the reviewer was pulling numbers out of the air when he made that suggestion. I did look twice, and that's what was in the review.

On that subject, I've also seen 230V referred to, but could be that sort of generic, like we in North America say 110, 117, or 120 volts, all referring to standard household voltage?

EDIT: I just read babadono's post of 7:05 am, and that clears up where the 230V figure came from.

Thanks to jason str and babadono for the helpful information and clarification.

The first thing I did when I re-did my living room was run a 20 amp circuit. I run all my amps (except the Behringer for my IB) TV, and sources from it.

The 20 amp circuit sounds like a good idea, but were you able to actually hear any difference?

I notice that differences are often easier to see than hear, as in cleaner or better power can make for a better TV picture (deeper blacks, for example) that anyone can see, while sound differences can be much more subtle.

The 20 amp circuit sounds like a good idea, but were you able to actually hear any difference?

I notice that differences are often easier to see than hear, as in cleaner or better power can make for a better TV picture (deeper blacks, for example) that anyone can see, while sound differences can be much more subtle.

i dont think there would be an audible difference at all between the two, only the ability to pull more juice.

I recently moved the Klipsch system to the basement and found out with all the amps on the same circuit, I need a 20 amp circuit. It kept tripping the breaker. Once I get the 20 amp put in, I don't know if it will be audible but, aleast I can watch a full movie, he he.[;)]

I'm not dimming lights in other rooms anymore[;)]

Derrick I run inuke 6000, xpa-2, xpa-5, onkyo 805, ps3, and projector all off a single circuit. I wonder if you have some issues with wiring in your basement?

I may have a problems and I will have an electrician evaluate the problem. I have ran things off that curcuit for over 10 years without a problem. I never had many power hungry systems on that curcuit. I had the HD 500 HT and an Onkyo HT system on it in the past. After hearing what you are doing, if something is worng and I need some type of repair, I will get a 20 amp curcuit since I seem to keep accumulating gear, lol.