Car amp to drive AW 400 speaker

CMG

I was cleaning out my basement and came across a JL Audio 300/4 amp. I have not permanently hooked up my AW 400 speakers other then to test them. My questions is, can I use a computer power supply to power the amp, hook that into the amp for power, and then power the AW400 speakers. The power supply and amp would be under the lanai and in something water proof. I would think the 75 watts the amp can provide would be plenty to make the speaker sing.

Thanks

If you use a computer PS you will need to place a jumper across the Power Good terminals or it won't stay turned on. You can look up which pins these are. I can't remember off the top of my head. I'm not sure the 12vdc will be clean enough coming from a switching PS.

Bruce

If you use a computer PS you will need to place a jumper across the Power Good terminals or it won't stay turned on. You can look up which pins these are. I can't remember off the top of my head. I'm not sure the 12vdc will be clean enough coming from a switching PS.

Bruce

Good thinking, if its a newer ATX power supply you will need to ground the green wire on the 20 or 24 ATX harness ( the one that plugs into the mainboard) .

You should be able to ground it to any plug with a black wire attached for the ground.

• Moderators

75 watts would be plenty.

Similar idea, I use a car stereo, Pioneer with only about 20 wpc connected to a old car battery with a trickle charger off and on to keep up the battery. It is for the yard but on a much more efficient speaker and it works great. The Pioneer has Cd, HD radio and a connection for I pod's and computers and sounds good.

Completely portable, bring it anywhere.

I was looking at a newegg ps that was 12 v at 26 amps. I would think since the speakers are efficient, that the demand would be low enough to get away with the lower amp rating. I do like the idea of a $10 trickle charger, battery, and head unit. I'll need to mull over keeping the amp or sellling it and using the money for the other idea. Thsnks for the quick response!

Your biggest issue is finding a power supply that will provide the amperage the amp needs . Yes it will run when starved but you will possibly run into clipping issues and might eventually let the smoke out Or damage the speakers from the distortion cause by the clipping. If your not running it hard you will be safe. That also doesn't take into account dumb luck... I had a cheap 2000 watt amp for a few years in the trunk of my impala that spent most of its life floating in the spare tire well since the trunk leaked. Yeah. It still works.

• Moderators

The car battery I use is an old battery that would not keep enough charge to start my truck. It was replaced so I just kept the old battery. Even with out the charger it easily goes all day and have been used for a couple of years now.

The car radio has pre-outs, I connected a Crown D-75 amp for when I am close to power. The Crown is only around 20 something WPC and there is really not much of a difference compared to the amp in the radio, I was surprised.

I built a box with side handles to help haul it around, it has hinges for part of the top to open when it's hot and sunny. With crown when by power or just the battery and Pioneer otherwise, either way plenty of power.

post-11804-1381986099944_thumb.jpg

Are those lascala tops with bass bins? That would be an awesome movie theater on the side of a house or at a bonfire. Sounds like i can use this amp or just sell it and get some type of head unit. I have seen some with remotes that are inexpensive. Now to start craigslisting for parts. Thanks for the help!

• Moderators

There like a LaScala top, same parts, AA crosovers and Bob Crites tweeters. The bottom is Klipsch MWM singles with K43 drivers.

Just like a LaScala but bigger bass bins same crossover points, this helps a lot for outside to give it more bass. Like in this pic I pointed them away from the street and neighbors because they could fill the area to the corner with music, I tried it and walking out there, I realized I needed to go turn it down some and point them toward the back yard (no neighbors).

The can fill a big area with music with either amp, they sound good stacked like that or separated. I had some work to do in the yard so I set them out like this for a few days, usually I just leave them stacked, easier to move.

post-11804-1381986105047_thumb.jpg