The BEST way to clean & preserve vinyl

DizRotus

The generic equivalent of Cyastat SN is: 2-Hydroxyethyldimethyl-3-stearamidopropylammonium nitrate CAS 2764-13-8

Perhaps you can get some locally. I entered an inquiry at www.lookchem.com and received ~ 20 replies from companies in China. The anti-static agent is widely used in industry, but finding a distributor willing to bottle and ship to individuals is difficult. One oz (30 ml) will last a long time. Search the following: Cyastat SN, CAS 2764-13-8 and/or 2-Hydroxyethyldimethyl-3-stearamidopropylammonium nitrate. Good luck.

Fortunately, after diligently searching in vain for such a distributor, my source at Cytec sent me four 1 qt bottles gratis. If you can figure out a way for me to send a glass bottle containing 1 oz to you, I'll do it. All bottles will be sealed, double zip-lock bagged and well packed in a box surrounded by absorbent material (probably a new baby diaper). IMO, there will be zero chance of liquid escaping the package to the detriment of other packages or individuals.

Edited by DizRotus

I haven't really been able to get a handle on this chemical concoction. Just what is it supposed to do that a couple of drops of Ivory liquid, warm water, and a chamois doesn't?

Seems to be some discussion of static, but living in Houston that isn't an issue. Still have an old Zerostat somewhere that worked for that rather nicely when I lived in the west Texas desert. Static was definitely an issue out there when heating the air in the winter. I've had discharges straight into the cartridge you could see on touchdown...and hear big time.

Dave

Edited by Mallette

I haven't really been able to get a handle on this chemical concoction. Just what is it supposed to do that a couple of drops of Ivory liquid, warm water, and a chamois doesn't?

Seems to be some discussion of static, but living in Houston that isn't an issue. Still have an old Zerostat somewhere that worked for that rather nicely when I lived in the west Texas desert. Static was definitely an issue out there when heating the air in the winter. I've had discharges straight into the cartridge you could see on touchdown...and hear big time.

Dave

Dave-

Did you read the original articles attached to post #3?

If static truly is not a problem for you, you wouldn't need an anti-static agent (Cyastat SN). Nonetheless, it wouldn't hurt, and I suspect static, even at undetectable levels, might still prevent a fully effective deep cleaning with the PVA (Elvanol) facial.

Static is a real problem in Michigan, especially in the winter. If I go to the trouble of mixing and using the PVA facial, it makes no sense to leave out the Cyastat SN, which breaks the static grip on the dirt and renders the disc static free indefinitely. The PVA facial without Cyastat SN, in a low ( or no) static environment probably leaves discs cleaner than any other cleaning method. With the anti-static agent you can remove "probably." No one I know of who has used the process has been disappointed.

The problem, until now, has been getting Cyastat SN. If you promise to read the articles and cook up a batch, I'll send you an ounce of Cyastat SN and 0.5 oz of Kodak Photo-Flo 200. It's the least I can do for infecting me with the QD-1 bug, which lead to vinyl (analog), which required revisiting the Williamson cleaning system. In other words, it's all your fault.

Edited by DizRotus

EDITED 08/24/15

The PayPal issues were a pain. Now it's in exchange for a charitable donation (PayPal is requested, but not required). If you already "paid" through PayPal, I've donated that payment to a qualifying charity and emailed or PM'd a confirmation to you.

Here's the revised deal.

In exchange for a $10 donation, (PayPal is recommended, but not required) to the charity of your choice (N
o PACs, just real charities, e.g. American Cancer Society, ASPCA, Wounded Warriors, etc.) I will give forum members (in 48 states) 2.0 oz of Cyastat SN (enough to combine with more than 32 oz of Dupont Elvanol (see Part 2 of original articles attached to post #3) and/or treat hundreds of records separate from the Elvanol facial (see Part I of original articles attached to post #3).

For a $15 donation,
(PayPal is recommended, but not required) to the charity of your choice (No PACs, just real charities, e.g. American Cancer Society, ASPCA, Wounded Warriors, etc.) I will give forum members (in 48 states) 2 oz. of Cyastat SN,  enough to mix with more than 16 oz of Elvanol).

As they say on TV, "while supplies last." I will only send 1 shipment to each requester. Please do not ask for more than 2.0 oz of Cyastat SN, you will be sent only 2.0 oz of Cyastat SN to start.

After every interested requester has received 2.0 oz,, those who demonstrate, through photos, that they've purchased the other ingredients and successfully used up at least 16 oz of Elvanol, can request more. This stuff is too hard to get to have it go unused.

Send a PM to verify shipping and donation details. Please understand that requests that clearly demonstrate that the requester has not read the entire thread or has not thoroughly read the TAA articles, will be ignored. This is a DIY process that is part of experiencing the audio hobby. While I’m happy to share this with fellow audiophools, If you can't—or won’t—DIY from the information provided, perhaps you should stick to mp3s.

To get a quick recap, go to the following posts in this thread:

• #2 & #34:The original articles from The Audio Amateur;
  • #68: Where to get most ingredients;
  • #79: Reg Williamson Cleaner recipe; and
  • #93: Cyastat SN.

Two ounces of Cyastat SN will be sent by USPS 1st Class mail . The shipments will follow confirmation sent to me from you by email or PM of a charitable donation. Please provide me with your name, address and email by PM. The charitable confirmation should be like the pdf attachment below. Naturally, it need not be to that charity, but it must be a legitimate charity. If you want to redact your personal information, please feel free to do so. The requirement of proof of a qualifying donation serves 2 purposes. First, it filters out those not serious. Second, by helping others, it indirectly reimburses me for the expense and timeinvolved.

Best,

Neil

post-6832-0-30060000-1390679538_thumb.pn

Wounded Warrior Project.pdf

Edited by DizRotus

The response has been greater than anticipated. I've had to order more bottles and shipping supplies. I still should get the shipments out this week. The plan now is to mail small boxes by USPS 1st class mail. FedEx or UPS was too expensive. When shipments are sent, I'll send tracking numbers by email.

Please make certain you send the following:

• confirmation of charitable donation of $10 for 2.0 oz Cyastat SN;
  • name
  • address: and
  • email

If you have any doubt regarding the completeness or accuracy of information you may have provided earlier, please send complete and accurate information again. Better twice than not at all.

Your cooperation and patience are appreciated.

Edited by DizRotus

Flat rate usps is your best bet... DO NOT admit to any liquids or they will NOT take the boxes. You can use the self serve service or home postage service and drop the boxes off at the post office and save a few cents per shippment

Flat rate usps is your best bet... DO NOT admit to any liquids or they will NOT take the boxes. You can use the self serve service or home postage service and drop the boxes off at the post office and save a few cents per shippment

Schu,

Flat rate USPS is $5.80. Using your address at USPS self-serve kiosk, 1st Class was $3.22. Even with the $0.28 cost of a suitable box, 1st Class is less expensive.

The shipments will start this Friday or Saturday (when the necessary shipping supplies arrive). Email confirmations of shipping and tracking info will be sent to recipients.

PLEASE read posts #108 & #110 if you want 2.0 oz of Cyastat SN. Please DO NOT SEND $$, PayPal payments, checks, money orders, or anything else to me, except confirmation of the pertinent donation to the REAL charity (not a PAC) of your choice, your name and address.

This is turning into a major pain, due to a chronic failure of "requesters" to read, or understand post #109.

If you follow the directions, you will receive one, or both, of the referenced ingredients. You will not receive the REG Williamson cleaning system. The referenced ingredients, along with the information in this thread, will enable you to get the other ingredients, mix the cleaner and clean records as a DIY project.

Offering to send $$$$ will not get you more ingredients or prepared cleaner. If you send a PM or email and do not get a reply, please re-read post #109. Without the information requested, you won't receive anything.

Edited by DizRotus

Shipments went out today. If you've requested some and don't receive a confirming email or PM today, it's probably because I don't yet have the requested information needed to send a package to you. If you don't receive shipment confirmation from me, please send a PM or email with the information requested in post #111.

You'll notice I decided to send 2 oz of Cyastat SN, rather than 1 oz as previously indicated. I recommend mixing it into the facial mixture to do the de-stat and cleaning as a single process. Two oz should be enough to process more than 2 lbs of Elvanol and still have plenty left over to use alone as described in Part 1 of the TAA articles.
Please share your results.

Well, Neil, per your instructions I went back and read the original material. Yikes. Sounds like don't try this at home to me! I've a couple of awesome recordings I'd love to try the facial thing on as they suddenly developed steady crackling from some deteriorated D3 liquid years ago and I've never been able to successfully clean them.

However, chemistry was never my strong point and cooking that stuff up on the stove looks problematic.

I cannot help but wonder about the little discharges as well from static. While my best records have very few, there are occasional pops I've doubted were from debris.

Dave

Well, Neil, per your instructions I went back and read the original material. Yikes. Sounds like don't try this at home to me! I've a couple of awesome recordings I'd love to try the facial thing on as they suddenly developed steady crackling from some deteriorated D3 liquid years ago and I've never been able to successfully clean them.

However, chemistry was never my strong point and cooking that stuff up on the stove looks problematic.

I cannot help but wonder about the little discharges as well from static. While my best records have very few, there are occasional pops I've doubted were from debris.

Dave

PM to be sent ASAP.