The BEST way to clean & preserve vinyl

DizRotus

Grain Alcohol. Got to love the stuff. Lawnmower used to get water in the tank over the winter and would quit running. So I'd go to the house and get a shot for me and a shot for the mower and we were both HAPPY! :mellow:

John

No operating heavy equipment under the influence. B)

Anything under 95 ton is not heavy equipment, But you are right! No more driving under the influence either.

• Like 1

Follow the directions in TAA article.

Slowly add 2oz of Elvanol powder to 400 ml (~1.7 cups) of COLD distilled water in the top part of the "double boiler" stirring constantly (I use a clean wooden chopstick from a takeout Chinese order and throw it away at the end) as the powder is gradually added to the distilled water. Then put that container in the cold water in the lower part of the "double boiler." I use a saucepan with a vegetable steamer on the bottom to allow the gradually heating water to circulate around and under the glass vase. Turn the heat on to bring the water in the lower part to a boil. Using a glass vase allows me to easily see any clumps of solids, break them up against the side of the vase and stir them into suspension.

The slow and gradual heating process takes 30-45 minutes, or longer. I turn the heat down several times to keep the water in the sauce pan from boiling over. As long as the water is gently boiling it's hot enough (remember, at sea level water can only get to 212f, unless under pressure, like in a radiator). The "slurry" (mixture) should be heated to ~95c (203f). You're done when the slurry has changed from milky to clear with the look and viscosity of Karo syrup. I tend to keep stirring while making certain that all solids are dissolved.

Remove the container with the slurry from the double boiler and slowly add the glycerin, Photo-Flo, alcohol, Cyastat and enough distilled water to bring the volume of the mixture to ~500 ml (~2 cups). Stir constantly while adding the ingredients. At first, the relatively cold (room temperature) additional ingredients will will cause cloudy streaks to form in the slurry. Keep stirring until the entire mixture is again clear with the Karo syrup appearance.

Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature. After it's cooled, I put it in a push-to-close plastic water bottle from the dollar store. It will keep indefinitely at room temperature with the top closed.

Good luck and please share your results.

Reg Williamson Record Cleaner

The following is the recipe using 2 oz of Dupont Elvanol.

Distilled Water (initially) 1.5 cups (400 cc or ml)
Elvanol 2 oz (.25 cup or 56 gm)
Glycerin 2 tsp (8.5 cc)
Kodak Photo-Flo 200 3-4 drops
Alcohol 3 1/3 tbsp (11tsp or 50 ml)
CYASTAT SN 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml)

1 teaspoon (tsp) = 5 ml (actually 4.929 but close enough)
1 Tablespoon (tbsp) = 15 ml (ml = cc)

RECIPE.pdf

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

Thanks...I did read the article, even before finding this thread..Do you continue to stir once the water is boiling or just check on it occasionally? I have used a product called record revirginizer which I suspect is exactly what this recipe creates.

seems the chemical store has several versions of elvanol... including some that are already liquid(which is better for me)... do you know if I can use any of these elvanol products?

it all seems to be polyvinyl alcohol... but some if high viscosity and some is medium. I know there is already mixed/liquid polyvinyl alcohol out there already

Edited by Schu

Thanks...I did read the article, even before finding this thread..Do you continue to stir once the water is boiling or just check on it occasionally? I have used a product called record revirginizer which I suspect is exactly what this recipe creates.

Stir continuously until all solids are dissolved. Stir after adding extra water, alcohol, etc. Stir until everything has been added and all solids are dissolved. Stir until the cooling slurry looks like clear Karo syrup with no undissolved solids. It's a stirring experience.

I have no knowledge of the other system.

• Like 1

seems the chemical store has several versions of elvanol... including some that are already liquid(which is better for me)... do you know if I can use any of these elvanol products?

it all seems to be polyvinyl alcohol... but some if high viscosity and some is medium. I know there is already mixed/liquid polyvinyl alcohol out there already

Since Old Colony went out of business, I have used only the 71-30 Elvanol referenced above and in the attachment. It works perfectly. I have no knowledge of substitutes and no desire or time to experiment. The 71-30 powder from the chemicalstore.com works perfectly.

If you have the time and desire to experiment, please share your results.

post-6832-0-01720000-1391537524_thumb.pn

Edited by DizRotus

you know... since this is like a thick syrup, you never discussed cleaning or application methods.

How are you using it neil?

I dont remember seeing a vid...

I wouldn't call it "thick" syrup. The viscosity is somewhere between Log Cabin maple syrup and Karo Syrup. The larger water bottle on the right (RWC003) is almost full of the stuff. You can see the level just below the top of the handle.

You don't recall seeing a video because i was not able to create one. The Flip video used to record the process disappeared (probably fell into a wastebasket or recycling bin) before Christmas with the raw video. I've had not the time, $$ or energy to replace the camera and start over.

Several recipients of Cyastat have threatened to record and post videos. In lieu of video, I've attached some photos.

You'll need to use your imagination somewhat, as there's no photo of applying the slurry. The records in the photos have the slurry applied and dried. You open the bottle and drizzle it on the record, as if it were a pancake. The foam brushes in the photo are used to spread the mixture and to work it into the grooves. The larger foam brush works on LPs; the smaller one on 45s. I do the first sides of several records and stack them as shown to dry. After the first sides are done (with the application, not fully dried), I return to the first, flip it over and do side 2, doing likewise to the rest. The stacks of wax are allowed to dry overnight.

The tendency is to use too much in the beginning. Too much and it takes long to dry and drips off while drying. Too little and it comes off in strings, rather than a single sheet.

As I type, I'm listening to one of the 45s in the photo. The 3 45s were used as table decorations at the convention I just attended, in other words, they were free. Bob Dylan's Mozambique/Oh Sister, as well as J. Geils Band and the Silhouettes sounds as good as new.

Best wishes and please share your results and impressions.

post-6832-0-46480000-1391557144_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-74680000-1391557153_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-82440000-1391557163_thumb.jp

Edited by DizRotus

Couple of Record Revirginizer videos, shows how it is applied etc

It looks similar, but who knows what's in it. It probably contains PVA . The application and removal are similar.

Regarding static, he says it took 4 years to get it so Revirginizer doesn't create static as it's pulled off the record. Reg Williamson solved the static problem more than 3 decades ago. There is no specific mention of an ant-static agent.

It's way more expensive. See this UK site: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xrecord+revirginizer&_nkw=record+revirginizer&_sacat=0&_from=R40

For the cost of the ingredients, including the elusive Cyastat SN, for the same money (~$42) I could fill more than 20 bottles that size (16.9 fl oz).

The foam brush is a neater application than fingers.

Edited by DizRotus

I made a mix of cleaner last night and tried it out on a clean record. I used alcohol, CYASTAT SN, photo flo and distilled for a "cleaner" mixture, not the syrup based deep cleaner.

I found the mixture acted very differently than my normal alcohol and water mixture... probably mainly due to the Photoflo, it spreads out VERY nicely and evenly and seems to coat the surface of the record instead of sitting on top of the record.

I played the record first to get a base line... this record was already clean and played beautifully and very quietly. after cleaning though, I did get the normal static charge crackling sound I usually get after cleaning... albeit slightly different. less of it and some what muted sounding. After removing the record from playback, it did feel some what neutrally charged to the touch when normally I would feel a distinct positive charge from the surface of the LP.

I will try some different ratios and see if I can make it better.