The BEST way to clean & preserve vinyl

DizRotus

I did some more testing today with other lp's... the formula definitely changes the surface of the record. My recordz look cleaner and deeper black, but I have not noticed a quiter non static playback... as yet.

Like I had said earlier, the record seems more inert and neutrally charged... but there is still the ever present hiss and crackle of static.

My records tend to play quiter if taken directly from the sleeve and put on the TT, maybe the sleeve takes away most charge after sitting for a while. Also, perhaps the microfiber towel is adding way more charge to the lp than was there prior to cleaning... I mean it obviously has.

I do find that if I use my trusty old diskwasher brush with diskwasher fluid, I get noticably quiter playback

Schu-

You appear to be using neither the anti-static process described in Part 1, nor the cleaner described in Part 2, but rather a hybrid "cleaning" process.

The anti-static agent in Part 1 is not cleaner. It is to be used in the smallest possible amounts to defeat static. If too much is used it causes noise and only Part 2 will remove it. The Photo-Flo is to be used with Part 2, not Part 1.

I rarely use the solution described in Part 1. Instead, as described at the end of Part 2, I prefer to add a tiny amount of Cyastat SN to the Elvanol based solution of Part 2, to deep clean and de-stat worthy records in one process. In my experience, they never need to be cleaned again. After Part 2 plus Cyastat SN, they don't suck dirt from the air.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

The only difference between what I have done and the article pt1 is the addition of photoflo as a surficant that allows for smoother water dispertion and quicker evaporation... that and the fact I dont mix my alcohol and water at a 1 to 1 ration... more like 25-30iso/70-75water.

I may have added to much antistat for my first test batch. I am re mixing and tryiing another ratio tomorrow.

• Like 1

Schu-

Cyastat SN is not a cleaner. Adding it to other cleaner recipes might work, but it might not.

Part 1 of the The Reg Williamson TAA articles does not describe a cleaning process, but describes an antstatic process. In Part 1 he states, "Application is easy after you have removed any surface dirt with a slightly damp, lint-less cloth. You’ll need a fine spray, such as one used for perfume or deodorant. Just spray a couple (1 puffs in each half of the disc’s surface—no more: it is better to use too little initially, rather than overdo it." Reg Williamson goes on to say, "0.5% solution is enough to apply an inert film about a molecule thick." the article goes on to state, "A 5cc. phial will, in 0.5% solution, make up a liter of antistatic fluid, enough for a very large collection. The solvent should be easily obtainable, since it is a 1:1 mix of propanol (or isopropyl alcohol) and pure water."

The recommended formula is equal parts distilled water and alcohol (denatured, pure Isopropyl, grain alcohol, vodka, etc.; NOT RUBBING ALCOHOL) and enough Cyastat SN to be only 0.5% of the total solution. Using more will add noise to records.

After the described antistatic treatment, any cleaning method you like can be used. It won't defeat the antistatic treatment. With the static charge defeated, any cleaning system will work better. While your efforts to improve the system are to be applauded, don't be surprised if different methods produce different results.

Please keep sharing your results.
  • Like 1

I understand it's not a cleaner... lol. I've merely tried to add it to my cleaning method. I use isopropyl in as high a percentage as possible... 91%.

what I have not done is tried to reclean the record with simple cleaning solution post antistat application.

I understand it's not a cleaner... lol. I've merely tried to add it to my cleaning method. I use isopropyl in as high a percentage as possible... 91%.

what I have not done is tried to reclean the record with simple cleaning solution post antistat application.

Again, according to the TAA articles, removing excess antistatic agent was not accomplished by multiple trips through a well-known British record cleaning machine, but was accomplished by the facial described in Part 2. Other attempts to remove excess antistatic agent may, or may not, work. The PVA facial described in Part 2 works, at least it's worked for me since 1981.

The Reg Williamson system has been used successfully by many people for more than 3 decades. Modify it at your peril.

Good luck and keep us apprised.

Edited by DizRotus

Thanks to the kindness of Neil I have the goodies in my house. I've decided to try the simple destatic formula first, before trying the wrap.

Today I picked up 99% isopropyl alcohol, distilled water and an eyedropper. I already have a 2oz spritzer bottle which formerly contained eyeglass cleaner so it should put out a good fine spray pattern.

OK, I'm not so sure what cc's are, something from the metric system I assume and I'm not so sure what the metric system is anyway. Not good at math either and don't know how to divide 5 cc's properly for use in a 2oz mixture.

So any guess on how many drops of the Cyastat I should put in the 50/50 water/alcohol mix?

Thanks to the kindness of Neil I have the goodies in my house. I've decided to try the simple destatic formula first, before trying the wrap.

Today I picked up 99% isopropyl alcohol, distilled water and an eyedropper. I already have a 2oz spritzer bottle which formerly contained eyeglass cleaner so it should put out a good fine spray pattern.

OK, I'm not so sure what cc's are, something from the metric system I assume and I'm not so sure what the metric system is anyway. Not good at math either and don't know how to divide 5 cc's properly for use in a 2oz mixture.

So any guess on how many drops of the Cyastat I should put in the 50/50 water/alcohol mix?

Marty,

Whatever unit of measure you use for the 50/50 H20/alcohol mixture, the Cyastat SN should 0.5% of the total H20/alcohol volume. For example, 100 tsp = 2.08333 cups., therefore, 0.5% of 2 cups = 0.5 tsp (Yes, I know it becomes 2 cups plus the amount of Cyastat, but let's not be too anal). If you want the 50/50 to be only 1 cup, then 0.25 tsp = 0.5% (approximately, but close enough).

Good luck and please share your results.

A member on the AK forum with a lot of experience using this system had the following suggestion:

"When I used this before, I found that a better way to speed removal of the 'mask' or film was to embed cheesecloth in it before it dried - I had no luck with just the tape to peel it off."

I'll try it on the next record, as soon as I eat the cheese.

Edited by DizRotus

Marty,

Are you referring to Part 1 or Part 2.

Records can be played immediately after applying the antistatic mixture described in Part 1. I rarely use Part 1 alone. I figure if a record is worthy of the Part 1 treatment it's also worthy of Part 2 with 0.05% Cyastat added added to the "slurry." In my experience, the records are deep cleaned and static-proofed in a single operation. With proper handling, they never need to be cleaned or treated for static again.

After applying the slurry described in Part 2, I allow records to dry overnight

Edited by DizRotus

If you requested and already received Cyastat SN, please send me a PM to confirm receipt, if you haven't done so already.

Shipments to other recipients will be posted by USPS 1st Class mail today. I'll send PMs/emails to confirm shipment. If you already provided the necessary information and do not receive a PM or email confirming shipment, please send another PM/email.

In addition to confirmation that shipments have been received, please share your results regarding Part 1 and Part 2.

The good news is many have requested and received Cyastat SN. The bad news is my reserve is being rapidly depleted. The terms described in post #109 above have been again revised.

From now forward, a $10 donation confirmation receives 1.0 oz of Cyastat SN. That amount will last most users a lifetime. The Cyastat SN is too difficult to find to go to waste. One ounce is plenty for personal use. Any more starts to smell like a commercial need, which I won't provide.

If you'd like some, please read the thread (at the least, post #109 and post #111). Then contact me by PM or email with the requested information. A PM/email request without the requested and needed info accomplishes nothing.

Edited by DizRotus

what exactly would some nefarious user do with Cyastat SN?

so far the couple of tried at integrating it into my normal cleaning mixture has not worked in alleviating any static on first playing. it may have something to do with my cleaning method, but nothing i have tried works to get rid of pops and snaps of static on first play after cleaning.

what exactly would some nefarious user do with Cyastat SN?

so far the couple of tried at integrating it into my normal cleaning mixture has not worked in alleviating any static on first playing. it may have something to do with my cleaning method, but nothing i have tried works to get rid of pops and snaps of static on first play after cleaning.

Since an ounce of Cyastat SN will last most users a lifetime, when used as described in the TAA articles, sending more to an individual would be wasteful. A more "nefarious" use would be to take the "free" Cyastat SN from me and sell it. If someone wants to go into business against record Revirginizer, or the like, they can source their own anti-static agent.

Edited by DizRotus