The BEST way to clean & preserve vinyl

DizRotus

First of all, thanks to DizRotus for all of his efforts - I have had a lot of fun with this project and I have been thrilled with the results

I cooked up a batch of the peel including the anti-static and have cleaned about 50 records

Most of my records are from the dollar bin and I do not own a RCM, so I have cleaned my records in the kitchen sink using dish detergent and a paint pad

I chose records to clean in the first go round that looked nice but have enough clicks and pops to make them not worth listening to

My first batch of ten records, I did not use enough of the liquid, so instead of peeling off in a nice sheet, I was left with tons of tiny threads - they are fairly easy to get off but are fine

so they took me forever to get them off the record

After the peel the vast majority of noise was gone and I would be happy to listen to any of the records

The anti-static properties of the Cyastat are awesome - nothing sticks to it! I have taken a Kleenex and shaken all of the little fibers over a treated record

and then tilted the record and watched fibers waft away

After experimenting with varying amounts of liquid, I can now get a nice sheet of peel and the process is fairly quick and painless

I've tried four records so far with just the simple spray with little luck. The statics charge does go away but not the pops and clicks.

Visual inspection of the records would let you think they are mint to near mint, but we all know that some records may look great but have been through the drill with bad dust removal or played on worn out needles, or with too light tracking. Not to mention pressing that are just noisy.

I've ordered up the other materials to make up the mask treatment and will be trying that out with a mixture of pristine looking, but noisy records, and some also in good shape but with obvious need for cleaning, and some beaters.

I'll post my findings when done, and I hope the others you so generously provided these chemicals to will also report in.

Edited by thebes

Wiped with water and soft cloth first. Then 2 spritzes using a sprayer that came with prescription glasses for cleaning the lenses. It gives a very fine spray. I then wiped in direction of play with microfiber cloth.

Hi Marty,

I just dropped in on this thread for the first time -- how do the methods you've used compare with simple washing with soap and water under a running faucet? (My method for many years.)

Does this represent an increased record noise problem with your newly re-installed OM30 Ortofon? What is the history of that cart? -- I thought the one you originally had was injured somehow.

Larry

Wiped with water and soft cloth first. Then 2 spritzes using a sprayer that came with prescription glasses for cleaning the lenses. It gives a very fine spray. I then wiped in direction of play with microfiber cloth.

Marty,

I rarely use the ant-static alone. I much prefer adding Cyastat SN to the PVA facial (Part 2) and doing both at once.

In my experience, it's easy to get too much on when used as a spray. As you've discovered, removing static alone doesn't remove ticks and pops not caused by static. Also, it's been my experience that the procedure described in Part 1 of the TAA articles must be followed EXACTLY to get the results described. As mentioned at the end of Part 2, if too much Cyastat is used, noise results and the cure is the PVA facial.

For me, it's simpler to do both at once. After a PVA/Cyastat facial, I've never had to treat a record again.

YMMV

Edited by DizRotus

he never describes the type of noise induced by to much Cyastat... I realize that it "sticks to the surface" and you only need a "molecules" worth for it to be effective, but I am wondering if the additional noise is really related to Cyastat or not.

I personally didn't additional noise, just that the noise that was normally there from my cleaning, which I attributed to static, was still present.4

It's been about 2 weeks since I last did an application, I think I will go back and replay the same LP and see if it's calmed down any.

• Like 1

Hi Marty,

I just dropped in on this thread for the first time -- how do the methods you've used compare with simple washing with soap and water under a running faucet? (My method for many years.)

Does this represent an increased record noise problem with your newly re-installed OM30 Ortofon? What is the history of that cart? -- I thought the one you originally had was injured somehow.

Larry

Hey Larry,

I've used hand-washing, a cheap but effective "Spinclean", a vacuum-type automatic cleaner, and one of those clothes steamers.

I've also got static wipes a static gun, carbon fiber brush etc. Maybe it's because I have a tendency to eat crackers while changing records, but nothing has been completely satisfactory, so I'm experimenting with this method. I made my first batch of the "mask" yesterday. Had a bit of trouble getting it off so I'm still fooling around with application methods. I have 3 records I've done both side son and 3 on one-half so I can compare by flipping them over. Will give the listening test a go tomorrow and report back.

As far as the Ortofon Om 30 goes you have a great memory. I do have the 30 but I also have a Om40 which I did manage to bend the needle on.

I'm very happy with the Ortofon on my my Sony PS-6750 with that arm. It's been a couple of years since this cart has been in my main system. It has deeper, but slightly boomier bass a slightly more controlled top-end, while providing excellent detail and energy. It is however, noisier during quiet passages and between tracks than the Denon 103r. It's is a fine line cart instead of the sort of elliptical of the Denon, so it should provide a good cart for the test.

By the by, although the Ortofon's a MM, I do believe it costs more than the Denon 103R so one could expect them to be competitive in that price range.

• 4 weeks later...

I skimmed through this. Just wanted to mention the fact that on any formulation you use, make sure to use distilled or DI water. I have worked on formulating cleaners for LP's for many decades. Ultimately, I went to ultrasonic. There are several surfactants that can be used to dissipate static charge.

The most interesting way of removing static charge I have seen is placing polonium into the tonearm. Yes, radioactive polonium.

• 2 months later...

I came across this looking for a good way to clean records. Sounds like a great way to bring back life to all those 45's, 33 1/3's and 78's I have been grabbing.

I did do some looking and am I able to get Cyastat SN in a quantity I will never be able to use and for a cost I can't justify for just my collection. Is there any interest if I do get it in maybe 2oz bottle size or larger? I don't mind repackaging it. I have a source for the little plastic bottles I use when I make e-cig liquids.

Or

Has anyone found a source for the smaller amounts the end user would need? I would prefer to go that route than maybe get stuck with a bunch of anti static I will never use.

Thanks!

Edited by donkee

I've not had the best results... but again, I have not tried it as prescribed.

here in the desert, every time I clean my LP prior to playing I get extreme static. it could be the cloth I am using, but I have tried many solutions.

that being said, I HAVE HAD GREAT SUCCESS using something as simple as a "discwasher" OEM brush with the DII fluid. (I wont use D4).after using that stuff, my records always play clean and quite.

I came across this looking for a good way to clean records. Sounds like a great way to bring back life to all those 45's, 33 1/3's and 78's I have been grabbing.

I did do some looking and am I able to get Cyastat SN in a quantity I will never be able to use and for a cost I can't justify for just my collection. Is there any interest if I do get it in maybe 2oz bottle size or larger? I don't mind repackaging it. I have a source for the little plastic bottles I use when I make e-cig liquids.

Or

Has anyone found a source for the smaller amounts the end user would need? I would prefer to go that route than maybe get stuck with a bunch of anti static I will never use.

Thanks!

Please re-read post #108.

Edited by DizRotus

• 2 weeks later...

Here I am not even stated. Oh! But I have questions says I. Can I use a wooden dowel for a spindle, and large washers for spacers between the records. Will it make a difference if some of the coated records Touch the record above or below? The facial has to be removed in the end. So I don't see a downside them touching. But I didn't see the down side of being hit by a semi until it done. Now I know better.

I'd like to do both sides of the and make several short towers of records to treat at the same time.

Anyone forsee any problems I might have???

Edited by Taz

You can do both sides at once, but don't let the sides touch while drying.

The stacking system you describe, using dowels and washers, could work, as long as the stack is stable and the drying records are separated.

The stacking system I use is shown in the attached photo. The small plastic glasses from the dollar store are stable, even in stack of 5 or 6 records.

Don't be concerned about drips from the records above onto the records below. As long as the facial is allowed to dry overnight, such drips won't be a problem.

post-6832-0-72760000-1403475597_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I seldom play vinyl as much as I used to do. The market momentum shift to quality streaming music (Pandora, Spotify, Rdio, etc.) provides the variety and SQ I desire without the hassle, not to mention the ticks and pops, of vinyl.

That said, there are still excellent recordings of excellent performances that are ONLY available on vinyl. I still enjoy the thrill of finding such records in used record stores and giving them a thorough cleaning and ant-static treatment before ripping the vinyl to a FLAC file.

If you have read the Williamson articles (again attached), as well as post #108 of this thread, and are still interested and willing to invest the time (several hours) and the money (less than $100 to clean ~ 50 records), I'll gladly send you 2 oz. of Cyastat SN.

TAA_articles.pdf

RECIPE.pdf

Polyvinyl alcohol (Elvanol 70-62).pdf

Edited by DizRotus

• 2 months later...

Bump for Russell.

Anyone who is interested in receiving Cyastat SN should read the original TAA article, read posts #108 and #178 and follow the instructions. If doing that is too difficult, you won't want to cook up a batch of this great stuff.

Edited by DizRotus

The best way to clean & preserve vinyl is to keep it clean in the first place.

Second, if you're going to use any kind of alcohol  DO NOT use so-called ispropyl alcohol, especially if it says it's a %. These products are often sold as rubbing alcohol and have various lubricants (contaminants) in them. I use a highly purified alcohol/water mixture. As it turns out, something like Smirnoff Silver (100 proof) is perfect. Its triple distilled 50/50 alcohol/water content is perfect for cleaning records. I use it with a regular old fashion Discwasher brush.

The alcohol will remove the vinyl's natural inherent lubricants. To compensate for this, after the record has thoroughly dried, I apply Gruv Glide according the manufacturer's directions. I've used this product for 30+ years and have experienced absolutely no detrimental effects when applied CORRECTLY. It in fact, reduces drag, improves tracking, lowers distortion & noise, & makes the vinyl static free so it's less prone to attract contamination in the future, both on the record and on the stylus.

For reference:

Turntable 1: Thorens TD-126 MKiii, SME III arm, Shure V15 type 5 vmr.

Turntable 2: Linn LP12, Origin Live power supply & DC motor upgrade, Moerch UP4 arm, Decca Jubilee pickup

Audio Research SP6B used as the phono preamp.