Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
DizRotus

The BEST way to clean & preserve vinyl

Recommended Posts

Dave @Mallette-

 

Would you happen to have before recordings and photos?  I’m always impressed with how clean and shiny treated records look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okies. Didn't do a "before" of these that are in process, but scanned another from the same acquisition batch that is in about the same condition these were. I'll post it along with the Shaw recording done at 24/88.2 in a while, as well as album pix.  

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also have a 1950 Louis Armstrong drying that I am really looking forward to hearing. BTW, all these sound their best using NAB curve rather than RIAA and at a rolloff of 639. They were just before LPs were standardized with RIAA. 

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I wait, I'll mention one other thing I consider essential to the best listening of old recordings, the RekOKut Re-equalizer. Easily installed, it goes after your phono preamp and at line level. I have it in my processor loop and set up so that either my LP or 78 TT can be sent through it. Actually, I leave it in the loop all the time along with the other essential, DBX expander, but bypassed when not needed. From the first electrical recordings (acoustic recordings used no EQ since there was no way to reverse it in an all mechanical system) curves were used. These varied wildly by label but gradually converged into the RIAA standard in the mid-50s. The newer the recording, the more acceptable it is with RIAA...but the older ones improve a LOT when properly matched. This can be done by ear, and I find that best, though the RekoKut comes with the curves for the majority of labels by year. The difference can be downright amazing and I have some recordings that are 80 years old that sound better than some current ones when it comes to impact and presence. NOTHING like hearing a great 40s Benny Goodman/Gene Krupa when it's "in your face" real. Not a great photo, but enough to give you an idea of what the RekoKut does.

Rekokut.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okies, here's the whole Artie Shaw and his Gramercy 5 album. It's beyond copyright. Thought about uploading it as 24/88.2, but figured some might not be able to handle that, plus file size, and this is a 320, constant bit rate, mp3. It sounds pretty close to the high res version. The Columbia image is a record of about the same vintage from the same batch that hasn't been cleaned. Some of that is mold, particularly nasty stuff.

001 is the Shaw album cover, 004 is the record itself after cleaning, and 003 is the album notes.

 

Let me know what you think. If you want the high res I can upload it to my ftp site and tell you how to get it.

 

Dave

002.jpg

001.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

Gramercy.mp3

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Mallette said:

Let me know what you think. 

 

Sounds very clean Dave.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Louis Armstrong record sounds marvy. I'll get an mp3 of it up as well in the next few days.

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2018 at 12:16 AM, LarryC said:

I was clued into an ultrasonic LP cleaner about a week ago, the Audiodesk Systeme from Germany,  that does a fantastic job of cleaning and improving the sound from LPs, especially dirty ones.  I bought one on the recommendation of an audio distributor whom I have relied of for years.  It's very expensive, doubtless well beyond most forum members' financial interest. It was written up in Stereophile some months ago (link below).  I can vouch for every word of the Stereophile review, for whatever that's worth.  The problem, I regret to say, is the very high price: $3500 or $4,000.  Overture AV in Wilmington , DE has a few left on sale for $3,000, as much a bargain as I've heard of for this particular item, but that sale won't go on forever.

 

https://www.stereophile.com/content/audio-desk-systeme-vinyl-cleaner

 

 

any ultra sound rectangular tank  can do the job ,  for a small budget  - -here's the basic idea -  a 150$   tank , with a shaft and 2 holders and a few spacers - it can be manual or with a small motor to turn the shaft  -and it works with all cleaning solutions  - the only item I would add is a locking clamp at the end of the shaft -

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mallette said:

The Louis Armstrong record sounds marvy. I'll get an mp3 of it up as well in the next few days.

Dave

Thanks Dave!

Awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Randyh said:

any ultra sound rectangular tank  can do the job ,  for a small budget  - -here's the basic idea -  a 150$   tank , with a shaft and 2 holders and a few spacers - it can be manual or with a small motor to turn the shaft  -and it works with all cleaning solutions  - the only item I would add is a locking clamp at the end of the shaft -

Great idea and I am sure these work well. OTOH, wouldn't have helped my first project as it had a chemical buildup on it from something I never figured out. As it was adhered, this wouldn't have helped. And, of course, you still don't have the permanent static protection.

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the other two transferred. Will need to edit (not the sound, just breaks and such as I did it all as one file) before converting to mp3 for upload. The 24/88.2 sounds great. I got to thinking how exciting it was in the early years of the growth of audiophiles as improvements in quality were coming out every few years. RIAA and FFR recordings in the late 40s, microgroove LPs in the early 50s, Westrex stereo in the mid-50s, and then reel to reel tape. And, of course, the cassette in the late 60s and a lot of abortive related technology like Elcassette and LP surround sound. New speakers, new turntables, new, new new!. It was so exciting. 

 

These disks were certainly exciting to those who invested in their first 33.33 RPM turntable and cartridge. And, they still are when in good shape and played properly. More when I post them.

 

Dave

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Mallette said:

And, of course, you still don't have the permanent static protection.

 

EXACTLY Dave!

 

Everyone is free to spend whatever they want for any washer, vacuum, ion gun, etc., they want to clean records, but if you don’t defeat the static bond that locks contaminants to the vinyl, the record won’t be cleaned.  Without defeating static, even a superficially cleaned vinyl disc will immediately suck contaminants from the air to be again bonded to the vinyl.  Many “cleaning” processes actually increase the static charge imparted to vinyl.

 

I have very little Cyastat SN remaining.  It was hard to acquire.  Cooking the goop takes considerable effort.  It’s not for everyone.  That said, many cleaning methods may be beneficial, but none does a better job of peeling away dirt and eliminating the static that attracts new contaminants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@DaveTheTrumpeter

 

Your Cyastat SN went in the mail yesterday.  Please let me know when it arrives.

 

Please follow the recipe and directions exactly if you want the results described by Reg Williamson and Dave Mallette @Mallette.  Some have tried to modify the process with limited success.  Feel free to call with questions.  I’m happy to shorten your learning curve.

 

msg-6832-0-92740000-1447189644_thumb.jpgRECIPE.pdf

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okies, here's the other two. Louis Armstrong and the All Stars, Decca DL5279 from 1950 and RCA LEJ2, Volume 2 of the RCA Victor Encyclopedia of Recorded Jazz from 1956. Both are 10' LPs, the Armstrong being NAB equalized and the other RIAA. I recorded them at 24/88.2 but the files here are maximum quality MP3 (320kbps constant bit rate) to save Klipsch server space. 

 

I found the RCA one of the best 78 transfers I've ever heard. The Beiderbecke recording that is first is from 1930 and is REALLY quiet and clean. The piano from the 40s by Barbara Carroll is the best piano of that age I've ever heard and better than a lot of modern recordings. I have the bug to hunt down some Beiderbecke records to see if any of the originals sound as good as this transfer. As Louis Armstrong said "All de cats done tried, but ain't nobody blowed like him yet!" And he meant even himself. Nobody played with the effortless grace of Bix and he invented almost all the jazz licks used by Louis and jazz trumpeters ever since. Incredible composer and pianist as well, with "In a Mist" being one of his best.

 

Dave

DL5279.mp3

LEJ2.mp3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DizRotus said:

@DaveTheTrumpeter

 

Your Cyastat SN went in the mail yesterday.  Please let me know when it arrives.

 

Please follow the recipe and directions exactly if you want the results described by Reg Williamson and Dave Mallette @Mallette.  Some have tried to modify the process with limited success.  Feel free to call with questions.  I’m happy to shorten your learning curve.

 

msg-6832-0-92740000-1447189644_thumb.jpgRECIPE.pdf

Thank you, Neil! I'll let you know when it arrives :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mallette said:

Okies, here's the other two. Louis Armstrong and the All Stars, Decca DL5279 from 1950 and RCA LEJ2, Volume 2 of the RCA Victor Encyclopedia of Recorded Jazz from 1956. Both are 10' LPs, the Armstrong being NAB equalized and the other RIAA. I recorded them at 24/88.2 but the files here are maximum quality MP3 (320kbps constant bit rate) to save Klipsch server space. 

 

I found the RCA one of the best 78 transfers I've ever heard. The Beiderbecke recording that is first is from 1930 and is REALLY quiet and clean. The piano from the 40s by Barbara Carroll is the best piano of that age I've ever heard and better than a lot of modern recordings. I have the bug to hunt down some Beiderbecke records to see if any of the originals sound as good as this transfer. As Louis Armstrong said "All de cats done tried, but ain't nobody blowed like him yet!" And he meant even himself. Nobody played with the effortless grace of Bix and he invented almost all the jazz licks used by Louis and jazz trumpeters ever since. Incredible composer and pianist as well, with "In a Mist" being one of his best.

 

Dave

DL5279.mp3

LEJ2.mp3

I fixed up a cover photo in case you needed it.

 

I cannot believe how great those transfers sound, it really is incredible! 

 

Thank you so much, Dave, for taking the trouble and uploading, and everything you did to make them.

 

Just incredible!!

 

 

Louie Fixed.jpg

Edited by DaveTheTrumpeter
Wrong JPEG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DaveTheTrumpeter said:

Thank you so much, Dave, for taking the trouble and uploading, and everything you did to make them.

It was, quite literally, my pleasure, Dave.

Your picture didn't make it, at least to my computer.  

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...