The BEST way to clean & preserve vinyl

DizRotus

Hi there. Sorry to dig up this old topic.

I have probably spent over $3000 on record revirginizer now and its just way too much.

From what it seems, record revirginizer seems like Elmer's clear glue with traces of Alcohol in it... Whether that be hand sanitizer or IPA. It also has something sweet in it but I don't know what? Glucose maybe?

I tried to make my own. I got some 500 ml Elmers clear glue and heated it on a stove with 1 cup of 99% Isopropyl with 1 tbsp of Glucose. It has the same consistency as revirginizer when applying to the record however when I peel it off the result seems more stiffer and old finger marks are still present. The fact the finger prints are still present makes me think its not getting into the grooves but it is showing groove marks on the peel off... which is strange!

Revirginizer is costing me a lot of money and I can't afford it.

Can someone please share with me a glue like method or any method to properly get into the grooves?

I noticed quite a lot of people on this thread talking about CYASTAT SN but I can't find any. Any substitute? Anyone know about Triton-X?

Please help

Thanks guys!

3 hours ago, DJDynamix said:

I have probably spent over $3000 on record revirginizer now and its just way too much.

Talk to @DizRotus. No glue in what I call Magical Mystery Goo, but as you say cyanstat is apparently unobtainium except in industrial quantities. Personally think the cleaner would do just about as good a job without it, especially in humidity controlled environments. 

Dave

• 1 year later...

Hi DizRotus and everyone.  Hope you are well.

Now being in 2022 how easy are these chemicals to obtain?  I am in Australia and would love to know how i would go about getting hold of them particularly CYASTAT which I know is difficult. But do i need it and is there a substitute? I do have Ilford ilfotol. 

Record revirgnizer although I'm pretty sure it's the same thing.. it's just too expensive to keep buying bottle after bottle.

Really keen to make up this formula. Help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

On 2/1/2022 at 10:23 AM, Bobfoc said:

Hi DizRotus and everyone.  Hope you are well.

Now being in 2022 how easy are these chemicals to obtain?  I am in Australia and would love to know how i would go about getting hold of them particularly CYASTAT which I know is difficult. But do i need it and is there a substitute? I do have Ilford ilfotol. 

Record revirgnizer although I'm pretty sure it's the same thing.. it's just too expensive to keep buying bottle after bottle.

Really keen to make up this formula. Help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Hello,

Unfortunately, I don’t know of a substitute for CYASTAT, nor do I know how you can obtain CYASTAT in Australia,

FWIW, I believe you’re correct about Record Revirginizer.  I don’t know if it contains CYASTAT, or an equivalent ant-static agent.  IMO, if you don’t break the static bond, NOTHING will clean your vinyl completely.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I did some MSDS cruising.  Cyastat and the aerosol 'Static Guard' both claim to be using 'Quaternary Ammonium Compounds' to disperse static charge.  The bulk of Static Guard being made up of 'alcohol', with single-digit percentages of the active ingredient. 

Does that help?

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 4:29 PM, DirtyErnie said:

I did some MSDS cruising.  Cyastat and the aerosol 'Static Guard' both claim to be using 'Quaternary Ammonium Compounds' to disperse static charge.  The bulk of Static Guard being made up of 'alcohol', with single-digit percentages of the active ingredient. 

Does that help?

Not really, but thank you very much.

• 9 months later...