Bargain turntable?

DizRotus

I have a neighbor who has this same t/t, I helped him set it up. I personally could not give a recommendation for it, he paid $160 for it, would it be a better t/t for $85..? No..there are plenty of used tables out there that are in good working condition, and would probably give the user a better experience of spinning vinyl.

Technics SL-1200/1210 turntables earned the nickname "the Wheel of Steel" for a reason. You can find one that's 15 or 20 years old in good working order that will perform well and sound pretty good. If you spend more, of course, you can get a later model in fresher condition.

The SL-1300, SL-1400 and so on Technics Direct Drive turntables are pretty inexpensive and could be a good way to see if you like spinning LPs.

I have SL1200MkII (bought 2 for about $300 and sold one of them for the same price). Still need a cart for it. The one I use is a much less expensive Technics SL-QD33. There are a bunch of those on ebay in your price range.

Bruce

For $88 bucks what do you have to lose! Like Mark mentioned you even have a 30 day return policy. I bet you will be shocked at the value of that little table. At least you can find out if you want to go down the endless path of LP upgrading on the cheap and not have to worry about some used table driving you nuts...been there and done that so many times it still gives me headaches....

I just "won" an eBay auction for a Technics SL-1500 with some sort of Audio Technica cartridge. I exchanged several cordial emails with the seller prior to the end of the auction. He/she even asked for details on how to secure the platter for shipment, so I sent the pertinent page from the owner's manual. With my sniped bid I was pretty certain I'd get it. Irrespective, whoever got it deserved to have it arrive undamaged,

If the Technics hadn't worked out (or doesn't work out) I'll take Mark and Craig's advice and try the AT table from Amazon. My experience with Amazon assures me that I would be satisfied.

Does anyone have a gently used cartridge that needs a new home?

Thanks to everyone for the input.

I'll second the vote for the M97xE. Good clear sound that's pleasant all day, low surface noise and very low record wear.

And a very low price. Being able to pop in a fresh, easy-to-find, stylus every five years or so for under $50 is great, too.

Next I'll have to figure out how to digitize the vinyl.

I've seen RCA-to-USB adapter/connectors for as low as $30. This looks like a better-quality model for $79:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/replacement_for/381598-REG/ART_USB_PHONOPLUSV2_USBPhonoPlus_v2_Audio_Interface.html

Answers to some questions you may have: http://gizmodo.com/5923930/how-to-digitize-your-vinyl-collection

If you don't get a used one, this is a very good Cart. at a reasonable price ----> CLICK HERE for Shure M97xe

Congrats on the TT! Yes

Dennie

Now this one I can second without reservation is a great bang for the buck MM cartridge!! I will also add be very careful "buying" used cartridges unless the deal is very good and you are real comfortable with the sellers honesty.

Let's see the last bargain turntable I bought was a Linn Lp12 that cost me 500.00

Figured that was an ok price . Turns out that he power supply was blown and the bearing was shot ...... Still can't believe the seller didn't tell me that the tt didn't work!

Ended up buying new external power supply and dc motor (origin live) , new carbon fibre sub frame from a specialty shop in the uk, new springs, new bolts, new tone arm ( the one included with the tt was a pos) new custom plinth etc etc

So my bargain cost me way north of $3,000.00 by the time the smoke cleared.

It's a great sounding deck now but it certainly wasn't a bargain!

Mark's freeway entrance photo is appropriate. Yes it's an endless journey but it's fun non the less

Josh