New Tweeter

Deang

Guest David H

Dave. This looks wonderful. I may have missed this but is this tweeter/horn a drop-in for the original K77 behind the baffle mount....such as in a la scala?

Thanks JC, and Yes it is designed as a drop in replacement.

Great to see you around again.

Dave

I could have sworn you said you weren't going to change out the horn. No matter. If you do the Fastrac, you'll be fine. If you go to anything bigger than that you'll have a problem (too much gain).

I know, you are right, I did say that. I am not planning on it but I was curious in case I wanted to go that route. After reading about them, they kind of got my interested.

Thanks Dean

The best thing I did to improve my sound was move the mid/tweet x-over up to 6k. Apparently the original K-Horns were at 6k. I read an article a couple days back a member had linked about keeping that 400~6k range handled by one driver. Very enlightening. Lots of superior tweeter & horn combos available all with their respective unique polar patterns, but crossing at 6kHz seemed to be the more important factor, polars be damned. (unless you have a HF horn that really collapses drastically between 3500Hz and 6kHz.)

The 6kHz crossover point does three things: 1) moves the crossover point out of the most sensitive part of your hearing 2) gives you almost four full octaves out of the midhorn, and 3) reduces excursion of the tweeter's diaphragm which results in lower distortion.

• 4 weeks later...

Would these be a big improvement over the stock tweets in a La Scala? I am thinking of replacing the tweets first, then maybe go to a Fastrac horn, and then crossovers. These are used 90% for movies but I think I would like to start listening to 2 channel music again too.

The 6kHz crossover point does three things: 1) moves the crossover point out of the most sensitive part of your hearing 2) gives you almost four full octaves out of the midhorn, and 3) reduces excursion of the tweeter's diaphragm which results in lower distortion.

So is it better to go with 6K for these factors, or move down to 4500 hz as many have done to relieve the K55 a little? How do the tradeoffs work?

I have La Scalas that will use JBL 2470's and K Horns that will use the K55. Aftermarket tweeters on both.

That said, I've measured B&C units, they're decent.

Excellent, that's good news. I have had good results with B&C drivers as well.

Dave

Me too. I'm using a DE-250, mylar diaphragm on the QSC "mini me" horn that looks like a small K-402..........see avatar. Since I don't have to retrofit a Klipsch cabinet, size is not a factor here. B&C makes good stuff.

Here it is:

http://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/30801-beyma-cp25-questions/page-1

Okay, I love the new forum. It took me less than a minute to find the post I was looking for.

"A tweeter with 4-22kHz bandwidth will sound "better" than a tweeter with a bandwidth of 4-15kHz even if you can only hear to 15kHz. Bandwidth defines transient behavior, the broader the bandwidth, the better the transients. In other words, the 4-22kHz tweeter will be a better tweeter in the range you have audibiltiy.

Repsonse linearity, as a function of input power (i.e. 1, 3, 5, 10 20W, etc) is also of importance.

Lots of tweeters look very good at 1W input but not so at 3W, 5W, etc."

I posted a quote from PWK saying the same thing about the GAUSS coffee can sized driver on the original 2-way MCM back in 1976. If it does 19Khz. it will be better at 10 Khz. or something to that effect.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest David H

The tweeters just came in, I don't think anyone had ordered a pair yet.

I believe only 2 or 3 pairs of these are currently in use due to lack of drivers. The DE-120 is out of stock everywhere.

I am always on the lookout for a suitable driver.

Dave