New Tweeter

Deang

Guest David H

Come to think of it, there are 4 or 5 pairs out already.

I believe Justin Webber from "Amps and Sound" has a set with D-220ti drivers installed in a pair of Cornscala's.

I am not sure who else has a set installed.

I am currently restoring a pair of Heresy's, and I intend to add a pair to them.

Dave

An extra $200 if I have to add an L - pad Michael to your networks. :)

Isn't the DE-10 The preferred tweeter, it just won't fit in the big three?

Al's site says both; says "out of stock", and then says "tweeters are in" right below that. I also thought the only ones he had were the ones he was using for testing - I didn't think anyone had actually bought any from him. No matter - I'm just going to call him!

I tri-amp, and fitting into a Khorn, Cornwall, or other established physical dimensions is a non-issue for me. Given that size and efficiency are not relevant to me, what should I be considering? Still the DE10, or is there benefit to the 120 or the CT125?

The data has been published, haven't you looked at it?

In general, you get what you pay for.

DE120

Okay, let's do some pictures.

This is from an email from Al. It's titled, "Absolute SPL Study". What we learn is that these new tweeters may not be as sensitive as B&C claims.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Dean,

Here's the study of absolute db SPL methods study I did a few days ago. The text below was actually written to share with Lee Clinton. It explains the attached paste-up of plots.

AL K.

In the lower left (blue trace)
I used my function generator to put exactly 0.894V RMS CW swept between 5 and 10 KHz from my McIntosh MC50 amp into a B&C DE10 driver. The HP 3563A was calibrated to be 120 dB SPL at the 20 dB mark at the top of the screen using the GR calibrator (114 dB @ 2 KHz) and the B&K 4124 mike that Oden calibrated about 1 1/5 year ago. The analyzer was place on peek continuous average. The level input was 10 dB below 1W at 0.894V RMS rather them 2.828V RMS. (to save my hearing!)

The black cure at the right was using my reference attenuator on chancel 1 the mic on channel 2 method as I have been doing it all along. 0 dB = 100 dB SPL.

The top plot is using ARTA and the red line is my reference attenuator showing 100 dB reference,

Microphone is B&K 4134 at 90deg incidence 1 meter on center.

I think they all agree pretty well that THIS DE10 and Eliptrac HF driver is about 103 or 104 dB SPL at 1 meter for 1W input. B&C claims 107 dB?

post-1106-0-93860000-1388739363_thumb.gi

This is from an email from Al. It's titled, "Absolute SPL Study". What we learn is that these new tweeters may not be as sensitive as B&C claims.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

B&C claims 107 dB?

Many manufacturers’ specifications datasheets disclose data that is general and unqualified; however, the B&C datasheet for the DE10 (attached) discloses that the ME10 horn (Hyperbolic cosine flare) was used for measurement purposes.

I think they all agree pretty well that THIS DE10 and Eliptrac HF driver is about 103 or 104 dB SPL at 1 meter for 1W input.

I believe that this is good information to know as measuring a compression driver with the intended horn or waveguide would provide a meaningful sensitivity figure to consider when designing the overall system (i.e. the DE10 on the Eliptrac HF at the 103 or 104 dB SPL will not necessarily need further attenuation on a Khorn). When just using an unqualified sensitivity figure without knowing the directivity of the horn it was measured on would seem to be somewhat meaningless information.

Cut-off frequency of 1.5KHz for the ME10 is similar to the 1.6KHz that Dave shows for the Eliptrac HF horn.

If total power remains the same (i.e. the 1 Watt, 2.83 volts, etc.), I suspect that using different horns (i.e. Eliptrac HF being Conical expansion and ME 10 being Hyperbolic) results in most of the difference in sensitivity as essentially different horns will distribute the total power differently.

DE10.pdf

Edited by Fjd

Actually the Eliptrac-HF is Conical expansion, hence it's CD behavior.

Dave

Thanks, I had not picked up on that, good to know.

How are you doing the mounting holes in the horn for the respective drivers?

For example, from the data sheets it appears that the DE10 and DE120 have different mounting specs as the DE10 data sheet show two M5 (5 mm) bolts/holes 180 degrees apart on a 76 mm diameter and the DE120 shows two options of either three M5 (5 mm) bolts/holes 120 degrees apart on a 57 mm diameter or two M5 bolts/holes 180 degrees apart on a 57 mm diameter.

Is there enough slack in the horn mounting holes for a DE10 mounting that a driver that used two M6 (6 mm) bolts/holes 180 degrees apart on a 76.2 mm diameter would work? Or even three M6 (6 mm) bolts/holdes 120 degrees apart on a 57.2 mm diameter?

Edited by Fjd