Drawing plan klipschorn

Cobalt

A lot of information you gave me about horns is new for me. Quite interesting. I'm impressed by that very big straight horn. What a skill to make that. To make the curve of horn, wat is essential, must be very difficult.

One thing is sure, that thing I can't make.

It seems that the horn is about 3 meter long. (a part of it is hidden behind the wall).

" that thing I can't make"

It would be much easier to make than the Klipschorn.

I do not agree with you. Maybe the horn looks simpeler. The problem is the exponential curve of the horn. To calculate that curve you must use complicated mathematic formula's

for example ; AH = pi r2 = pi.0,125 =0,049m and a couple of other formula's.

Because of the round curve, the mitres and bevels are also curved. So you can't use a mitre saw and a table saw.

A K-horn has more pieces, but you can saw it normaly.

Thanks for the link. I have studied the photo's. To make the E plate in this way it's better. The construction is now more firm. There is also a opening to the L en M space.

The volume is now bigger than in the orinal klipsch as far I know.

I asume that you know wich plates I mean. In all the drawing plans I've seen, the names of the pieces/plates are the same.

• 2 years later...

I built a set of Speakerlab Model K speakers back in the early 70's and used them for years.  I was going through my old files and found my copy of their complete construction plans for their version of the Klipschorn.  I have scanned them into my computer and would be willing to email them to interested builders.  Their instructions say 3 sheets of wood per cabinet, but I was on a student budget and cut a pair out of four sheets. My cut diagrams are included.

Garthforschools@gmail.com

There are sheets on a couple more of their models, an Electrovoice folded horn and what they call the university classic.

They also had a paper on crossover design which I have not scanned yet, but may be of interest to someone.

• 2 months later...

It wouldn't surprise me if the 3 different sets of plans you have are from 3 different periods in the Klipschorn's long history. For instance, if you were to compare Paul's original article (A Low Frequency Horn of Small Dimensions) to the Klipschorn of today, you would find numerous differences in the measurements, even though the overall design remains the same. There never was a "massive redesign" of the bass horn, to my knowledge. They were all very tiny steps and none of these changes resulted in anything but a subtle enhancement in one property or another. 

As for converting from inches to millimeters, just multiply the given dimension by 25.4 and get as close as you can. A great many have been built at home over the years. But, it is not a project for the faint of heart. I seem to recall 104 parts and 25 pounds of fasteners being bandied about, in each Klipschorn (or something like that),  Above all else, use LOTS of glue as you screw and nail it all together. Even one tiny leak in the horn path will yield the most unsatisfactory results, and might be very hard to find/fix after assembly.

Good luck!

• Like 1