How much have you spent on the speakers you currently use?

wuzzzer

Visited forum member kapsnb01's house today to pick up a pair of speaker stands and to listen to his modified CF-3s. (Sounded fantastic by the way). While talking I realized that I have spent a grand total of $230 on the speakers I'm currently using:

$50 for my Chorus. Craigslist purchase. Guy had them in his garage. Cabinets beat up, tear in one woofer. I repaired the woofer with rubber cement and black tissue paper. Added some bracing to the cabinets. Installed the titanium midrange and tweeter diaphragms that were previously in my old Forte IIs. Replaced the grill cloth and one badge.

$100 for my KG4s. Craigslist purchase. Guy had them for sale along with a decent pair of Yamaha bookshelf speakers. I asked how much just the Klipsch were and he said $100. The Yamaha speakers are in my garage.

$80 for my Peavey subs and amp. Craigslist purchase. This past Sunday I saw them for sale for $100 that included the top horns. Had been used in a movie theater previously. Guy said he'd take $80 for the subs and amp. They barely fit in my 4 door Wrangler. Brought them home, cleaned them up, spent $3 on a couple parts from Radio Shack to make them work.

Very ironic that with the speakers I have I spent the most money on my KG4s.

I guess when it comes down to it I probably have closer to $300 invested with gas, miscellaneous things like the grill cloth, etc.

Anyone else?

• Like 1

Mark, I normally wouldn't post this type of info, but seeing as you asked, here goes:

$750 - Pair 1990 La Scala

$500 - Pair 1984 Hersey Industrial Ported

$250 - Tuba HT subwoofer

$350 - Dayton SA-1000 subwoofer amp

$250 - Panasonic SA-XR57 AVR

$700 - SVS AS-EQ1 Subwoofer DSP

$200 - Panasonic DMP-BDT310 Blu-ray player

$400 - Samsung 37" 720P LCD HDTV

I tried to keep the expenditures modest and put the money were it counted the most, sound-wise.

This was the end result at my previous place until we decided to move:

- QH

I have always looked for the best deal I could get but have never come across some of the crazy deals ($50 Chorus?!!!) some of you have lucked into. My $350 minty walnut Fortes are about the best deal I can brag about, though I think I have done ok on all my speakers. Maybe one of these days...

• Like 1

I have stumbled onto a couple deals in the past....

10 dollar 1969 Hersys, the boxes and cane is a bit beat up but they sound great

50 dollar KG4's

from 1 fellow I got 50 dollar KG5.5's and a 60 dollar pair of KLF 20's, they are both splattered with white paint and didnt have grill screens, but again...sound great!

Some great deals there wuzzer[Y]

RF7II's , RC64II and RS52II's aside which I bought new and got a good deal on, the last couple of months I've been lucky and got some great deals off craigslist.

RB5's with RC3 center for 80.00 total (set up in my son's apartment)

4_zpsc6425e04.jpg

RB75's with stands and canare bi-wire for 375.00 (stands went to my son's apartment sold the canare cables)

PICT0014_zpsa21ce80e.jpg

RS7's with stands for 195.00 total (sold stands)

1_zps5d70a30c.jpg

Cornwalls for 200.00

CW1_zps6d85adae.jpg

and lastly a pair of KP450's

7_zps1cad5e8e.jpg

Edited by Tasdom

Right now I am listening to my Drifts which are Dave's speakers. I think Dave pulled a fast one on me. I just contacted him to purchase his mf/hf horn and motor board. Ha next thing you know I am buying his crossovers he built for them, along with the Selenium drivers and grills. Next thing I know I think I am up to around 700 with wood and all, that may not be right. Which ever, they sound pretty good considering the cabinet configuration I have them. Which was meant to be a surround speaker, but until I get my Khorns up and running they will work great for 2 channel listening.

The journey has made it all worth it. While I'm not going to disclose how much I have spent, I can tell you I have met some great people from all over the southeast in my" hey honey let's go to so and so and check out the local whatever it is" followed up with "while were here I found something on Craigslist we need to pick up. she has even grabbed stuff for me on her trips to visit me when I spent a year in Knoxville. So far my most expensive trip was to Tampa to visit a forum member to pick up 1 kg 5.5 along with enough parts to build a second with all crites components in both. While he gave me a great deal driving my kodiak there wasn't my my best move I've ever made. In my mind I could use the extra space in case I found more stuff. On the return trip I blew out a tire in Wesley chapel, fl around 9pm on a Sunday and destroyed the wheel. Emergency road service for a used 19.5" wheel with a used tire on a Sunday evening... Yeah that was $500 and a 3 hour wait. But I got a good deal on my kgs and spent some time listening to a beautiful pair of fortes. The trip was worth it.

My HIIs were a gift, La Scalas about $1200 and a drive from Georgia to northern Illinois to pick up.

My JBL 4311s bought new in 1972 or 73 for $289 each (they listed for a little more than that.

Bruce

for the home theater setup: $600 (plus 650mi road trip to pick up) for RF-5's. $350 for RC-7. $125 for in-walls. $600ish (plus 650mi road trip to pick up) for cinema F-20 sub.

for the work-in-progress 2-channel setup: $1200 + shipping for the components. Cabinets were free.

so for not a lot of cash, it is indeed possible to have some respectable systems